Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.

Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Yes. Debian only please.
19%
50-50. Please censor complaints about Ubuntu.
14%
No. Censorship in any form is unacceptable.
68%

Total votes: 117

dmhdlr

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

#101 Post by dmhdlr »

I'm sorry if I'm not making it easy to sort out the humor from the serious bits, and certainly I am being a bit flippant about how I approach my criticism of Arch, but I largely mean what I write. Some of it is my (trollish) reaction to Arch being brought up out of nowhere here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p373991. Obviously I don't think Arch users are anti-FLOSS; I said they are suspicious of the advocacy of (the use of) FLOSS, which is what the FSF exists to do aside from policing the GPL.
Unix affectations are bad? Unix affectations make you anti-GNU? That's odd. GNU is not literally not Unix. That is, the name is famously a pun and the code is not at all shared, but the entire point of the early GNU tools was to provide a free and open set of Unix-like tools.
Affectations are bad because they are self-consciously not genuine. Is Linux Unix? I may be wrong, but I am fairly certain it's not. If Linux entails a distinct mode of being from Unix, what does it mean to try to close the gap between the two? It's in that gap that I situate Arch and "The Arch Way" and all who endorse it. As for GNU is Not Unix, it literally means GNU is Not Unix. I am not saying GNU is contra-Unix; I am restating the gap between the two and Arch's elision thereof. As for Vim, I am not saying that choosing Vim over any other editor is a Unix affectation, but that the "legions of Vim users" as a whole assumes a different light before the background/scenario I have been sketching, one that isn't exactly aligned with GNU.
Telemachus wrote: But I don't like seeing choices about software conflated with ideological positions. It bothers me on principle.
Unfortunately I have run up against this misunderstanding everywhere within the FLOSS community: for people who go out of there way to use FLO software for the freedom it offers, FLOSS users have a very strange understanding of ideology, and indeed think that free software is somehow outside ideology (I am not convinced you can ever be outside of ideology, which is neither here nor there, but I emphatically assure you FLOSS isn't). Ideology is not a bad thing and understanding that would probably make the matter a lot less confusing for the FLOSS community. Indeed, given the importance they give to their "Social Contract" or manifestos, choosing to use Debian and choosing to use Arch are about two of the most ideologically charged choices you can make in computing today, much more immediately so then using Ubuntu or Fedora or SUSE, etc., and perhaps somewhere below using OSX.

Again, the anti-GNU tag was a bit of a joke and is to be understood as shorthand for what I explained above.
[formerly known as Deckard]
"Emacs: making you posthuman since 1976"
Axiom #1: Emacs is a text interface prosthesis
Axiom #2: Org-mode gives you super cyborg organizational powers
cf. Why Emacs | Emacs-fu | EmacsWiki | Worg

Penguin Skinner

#102 Post by Penguin Skinner »

All of which proves yet again, the reason arguments on the internet become so passionate is because there's so little at stake.

makh

#103 Post by makh »

Soul Singin' wrote:Why does every loser who dislikes Ubuntu or got banned from Ubuntu Forums feel the need to bring his complaint over here? Why do heartbroken Ubuntu users feel the need to search for solace at Debian Forums?

I have no sympathy for them. Their whines and cries irritate me.

So I propose censoring discussion of Ubuntu. Not a complete ban. Just a ban on Ubuntu whininess. If all goes well, the Ubuntu exiles will leave us alone and bother the Fedora people instead. :mrgreen:
Its time linux people accept it. PEOPLE ARE MOVING AWAY FROM proprietory OSes.

its a freedom using linux, but some people (like me) are only intermediate level users, so such people be helped, so they can benefit from open source.

moreover desktop linux still has issues, opensource lacks the alternate versions, specially for hardware(s). Thats why it isnt par even 10% usage today.
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

Randicus

#105 Post by Randicus »

cynwulf wrote: :roll:
I think we need a face-palm icon.

zetetic

#106 Post by zetetic »

Anyone who bashes Ubuntu should be banned and sentenced to at least 10 years' imprisonment.

But the truth is that Ubuntu sucks and only idiots use it.

cynwulf

#107 Post by cynwulf »

zetetic wrote:Anyone who bashes Ubuntu should be banned and sentenced to at least 10 years' imprisonment.

But the truth is that Ubuntu sucks and only idiots use it.
Saying "butnut sucks" automatically elevates you to the l33t kewl kids crew...

bmc5311

#108 Post by bmc5311 »

why don't threads like this ever die? :roll:

confuseling

#109 Post by confuseling »

bmc5311 wrote:why don't threads like this ever die? :roll:
Because otherwise the pungent, brain-polluting bilge they contain would spill out over the rest of the forum?

Can anyone tell me: Is Ubuntu a bit like Debian, only better?

Long live the thread!
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here