Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.

Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Yes. Debian only please.
19%
50-50. Please censor complaints about Ubuntu.
14%
No. Censorship in any form is unacceptable.
68%

Total votes: 117

julian67

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

#61 Post by julian67 »

Soul Singin' wrote: This thread is not an Ubuntu Piñata Fest. It's a Debian Forums Piñata Fest.
I have no idea what a pinata fest is, or even a pinata. We definitely don't have them here. Perhaps they are something like a turnip or maybe a breed of small dog. Whatever they are you seem to have initiated exactly the kind of thread (and posts) you claim to be a problem. If the admins are silly enough to take your suggestion seriously (and we all know they aren't) then you have to be banned first. Immediately this happens the likelihood of pointless threads about ubuntu will have greatly diminished.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

AdrianTM

#62 Post by AdrianTM »

julian67 wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote: This thread is not an Ubuntu Piñata Fest. It's a Debian Forums Piñata Fest.
I have no idea what a pinata fest is, or even a pinata. We definitely don't have them here. Perhaps they are something like a turnip or maybe a breed of small dog. Whatever they are you seem to have initiated exactly the kind of thread (and posts) you claim to be a problem. If the admins are silly enough to take your suggestion seriously (and we all know they aren't) then you have to be banned first. Immediately this happens the likelihood of pointless threads about ubuntu will have greatly diminished.
Well, we all know that rules should not apply retroactively (at least not in a sane environment) and second, it would not apply for his case because he doesn't bitch about Ubuntu, he bitches about people who bitch about Ubuntu, so he would be banned only if "bitching" would be a bannable offence.

But other than exhibiting lack of logic and of factual data (AKA truth) your posts are rather funny...
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

Soul Singin'

#63 Post by Soul Singin' »

julian67 wrote:I have no idea what a pinata fest is, or even a pinata.
Wikipedia wrote:In Mexico, piñatas are believed to have originated among the Aztecs, Mayans, and other native peoples of Mexico, who made clay pots in the shape of their gods. The pots were meant to be broken forcefully with poles and sticks, so the contents spilled to signify abundance or favors from the gods. ... The Mayans played a game where the central player's eyes were covered with a cloth while he tried to hit the pot that was suspended by a string.

julian67

#64 Post by julian67 »

AdrianTM wrote: Well, we all know that rules should not apply retroactively (at least not in a sane environment) and second, it would not apply for his case because he doesn't bitch about Ubuntu, he bitches about people who bitch about Ubuntu, so he would be banned only if "bitching" would be a bannable offence.

But other than exhibiting lack of logic and of factual data (AKA truth) your posts are rather funny...
But if the forum were to be improved so that it was as good and human a place as ubuntuforums then retroactive rule changes and subsequent bannings and jailings should present no problem at all. In fact it would all be perfectly sane, an expression of kindness and love.

I now fully support the motion and would like to further propose that any post which contains the word bitch more than twice should be secretly deleted and the author be banned. As a precaution all IP addresses in the same IPv4 block should also be banned. I estimate that within a week this board would be quiet, calm and harmonious (if a little less well populated than at present).

julian67

#65 Post by julian67 »

Pinatas, Mayans and Aztecs:

When I step outside it is something like the united nations. There are English, Irish, Scots, Welsh, Arabs, Africans, Israelis, funny looking Frenchmen, Poles, Iranians, Bangladeshis, Indians, Pakistanis, Filipinos, Thais, Chinese, Brazilians, Australians, Lithuanians, Turks and more (and this is just the queue at the bus stop). But I never did encounter a Mayan or an Aztec yet. I shall write to my MP as we seem not to have the whole set as the right wing press claims. My woeful ignorance of the pinata is a sure sign that multi-culturalism has some way to go and that I remain a parochially minded Philistine (I think we have them too).

AdrianTM

#66 Post by AdrianTM »

You must know what you are talking about, I don't go to Ubuntu forums, I've only posted few times on Kubuntu forums and haven't noticed any humanity crap or whatever you allude to, however people over there don't seem obsessed with other distros like people on this forum.

cynwulf

#67 Post by cynwulf »

Soul Singin' wrote:Did you ignore this thread? Nope! You felt the need to read it and post a response. And you felt the need to respond to all three of our currently running Ubuntu Piñata Fests.
No, you need to ignore it as it clearly bothers you. I won't ignore it as I fall loosely into the "foaming at the mouth, Ubuntu hater" category and I don't lose any sleep over such threads. As I said, if those threads annoy you, ignore them. Otherwise you're actually taking a pivotal role in creating the "issue" you're complaining about.

refracta

#68 Post by refracta »

People who use Debian and bitch about Ubuntu probably have low self esteem that they feel the need to bitch about Ubuntu to make their distro look good or to make themselves accepted on this forum.
...or maybe not....maybe they just bitch about ubuntu just to bitch about something....and ubuntu provides such a perfect something to bitch about...
I'm not of the opinion that Debian in order to look good needs to knock other distros down, there's no need, really. Debian shines by what it is and what it does not by how bad other distros are.
I don't say 'ubuntu sucks' to make debian look good...only to say that ubuntu sucks....it does so regardless if debian even exists...
As for feeling part of a gang, I was never fan of that, some people need to "belong", that's probably again that low self-esteem, they feel that they will not be accepted on this forum if they don't do what's considered "cool" -- making fun of brown.
the majority seem to think that making fun of brown is not cool, so it would seem that not making fun of brown would be the cool thing to do....to fit in...to be a part of the gang....

personally I like to think of debian as a diverse group of individuals...that is why debian is all about choices and options and doesn't dictate that you WILL have launchpad-integration just like the rest of the stepfords...so I would say the essence of debian is very non-gang and everyone is welcome to be a part of our gang of individuals...as long as they allow others the same freedom to be themselves...

Soul Singin'

#69 Post by Soul Singin' »

cynwulf wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote:Did you ignore this thread? Nope! You felt the need to read it and post a response. And you felt the need to respond to all three of our currently running Ubuntu Piñata Fests.
No, you need to ignore it as it clearly bothers you. I won't ignore it as I fall loosely into the "foaming at the mouth, Ubuntu hater" category and I don't lose any sleep over such threads. As I said, if those threads annoy you, ignore them. Otherwise you're actually taking a pivotal role in creating the "issue" you're complaining about.
Oh, I see. I'm expected to ignore your posts, but you're under no obligation to ignore mine. Got it! :roll:

Congratulations Cynwulf. You've just made it to my "foes list," a distinction that you share only with Shadowking.

llivv

should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

#70 Post by llivv »

What should be done with this thread
if
the Uuu censorship resolution is carried by the rank and file?
1)delete it?
2) ban SS forever
3) jail all participants for the max allowed
4) surreptitiously delete bits and pieces of random posts to better suit the forum management.
5) all the above
6) none of the above
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

cynwulf

#71 Post by cynwulf »

Soul Singin' wrote:Oh, I see. I'm expected to ignore your posts, but you're under no obligation to ignore mine. Got it! :roll:

Congratulations Cynwulf. You've just made it to my "foes list," a distinction that you share only with Shadowking.
Somewhat ironic don't you think, that by adding me to your ignore list, you've achieved just that?

I had no intention to offend/insult you, but if that's how you want to deal with people that you may not necessarily agree with, then so be it. No hard feelings on my part.

For what it's worth, I agree with you in part, that people (including myself) need to STFU about Ubuntu and get a life.

nadir

#72 Post by nadir »

But if the forum were to be improved so that it was as good and human a place as ******-forums then retroactive rule changes and subsequent bannings and jailings should present no problem at all. In fact it would all be perfectly sane, an expression of kindness and love.
I think family-friendly is the word used for that. Or that's what some use.

*edited according to the new rules ( we call it "vorauseilender Gehorsam")

-----------------
PS:

Code: Select all

...and get a life.
I rather would not want a life, but they rammed it deep down my throat and called it a precious present afterwards.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

bugsbunny

#73 Post by bugsbunny »

AdrianTM wrote:You must know what you are talking about, I don't go to Ubuntu forums, I've only posted few times on Kubuntu forums and haven't noticed any humanity crap or whatever you allude to, however people over there don't seem obsessed with other distros like people on this forum.
That's because once they become aware of other distros they leave :) :wink: Or maybe it's because the admins over there simply lock any threads that get into (to any significant degree) distros that aren't Ubuntu. They even closed the forum that used to be dedicated to other distros. Any non-Ubuntu discussion is pretty restricted over there and you have to know where to find the bit that does exist.

AdrianTM

#74 Post by AdrianTM »

Any non-Ubuntu discussion is pretty restricted over there and you have to know where to find the bit that does exist.
That's not my experience on Kubuntu forum, heck, a moderator even started a discussion about global warming... There was also a long Arch thread...

julian67

#75 Post by julian67 »

As Ubuntu is derived from Debian it's reasonable for people to discuss it here. That's discuss it, not ask for support. Some people are both Ubuntu and Debian developers. There is organisational talk between Ubuntu and Debian, a recent example being synchronisation of freezes. Very occasionally code is developed for Ubuntu (or hosted Launchpad) which later gets adopted by Debian (examples being update-manager, dir2ogg). All this means that discussion of Ubuntu can be very relevant and is entirely appropriate for a Debian forum. And of course this isn't Stepford so there are no kind, gentle persons disallowing uncomfortable or overly independent topics/thoughts/modes of expression. There is no resolution center here; the comic, the inane and the kafkaesque can be found throughout the entire board.

Soul Singin'

#76 Post by Soul Singin' »

julian67 wrote:As Ubuntu is derived from Debian it's reasonable for people to discuss it here. That's discuss it, not ask for support. Some people are both Ubuntu and Debian developers. There is organisational talk between Ubuntu and Debian, a recent example being synchronisation of freezes. Very occasionally code is developed for Ubuntu (or hosted Launchpad) which later gets adopted by Debian (examples being update-manager, dir2ogg). All this means that discussion of Ubuntu can be very relevant and is entirely appropriate for a Debian forum.
Those would be excellent discussion topics on Debian Forums and it's a shame that those topics are rarely discussed on this board.
julian67 wrote:There is no resolution center here; the comic, the inane and the kafkaesque can be found throughout the entire board.
Unfortunately, most Ubuntu-related discussions on this board tend towards "the comic, the inane and the kafkaesque."

llivv

#77 Post by llivv »

Soul Singin' wrote:
julian67 wrote:As Ubuntu is derived from Debian it's reasonable for people to discuss it here. That's discuss it, not ask for support. Some people are both Ubuntu and Debian developers. There is organisational talk between Ubuntu and Debian, a recent example being synchronisation of freezes. Very occasionally code is developed for Ubuntu (or hosted Launchpad) which later gets adopted by Debian (examples being update-manager, dir2ogg). All this means that discussion of Ubuntu can be very relevant and is entirely appropriate for a Debian forum.
Those would be excellent discussion topics on Debian Forums and it's a shame that those topics are rarely discussed on this board.
Can be!!! But rarely is!
Soul Singin' wrote:
julian67 wrote:There is no resolution center here; the comic, the inane and the kafkaesque can be found throughout the entire board.
Unfortunately, most Ubuntu-related discussions on this board tend towards "the comic, the inane and the kafkaesque."
see first quote again
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Zoot
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#78 Post by Zoot »

I voted the last option as I don't feel outright censorship of any said topic is the way to go on any forum.

I see no problem whatsoever if an ex-Ubuntu user comes here and says they don't like Ubuntu because <insert reasons here> and that they now use Debian and rather Debian itself or the Debian way of doing things because <insert reasons here>. But if someone comes along and their post(s) is/are of the form ZOMG!! Ubuntu SUCKSS!!1!, Canonical are Teh EvilZ!!, some other type of drivel along those lines, then yes it possibly warrants action but not otherwise IMO.

jheaton5

#79 Post by jheaton5 »

Don't ban the Ubuntu discussions here. How else can we get good advice on fixing stuff? Surely you don't expect us to use the Ubuntu Forums! :)
debian sid

refracta

#80 Post by refracta »

jheaton5 wrote: How else can we get good advice on fixing stuff?
:lol: all twenty pages of 'good advice'