Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.

Yes. Debian only please.
19%
50-50. Please censor complaints about Ubuntu.
14%
No. Censorship in any form is unacceptable.
68%

Total votes: 117

Soul Singin'

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

#76 Post by Soul Singin' »

julian67 wrote:As Ubuntu is derived from Debian it's reasonable for people to discuss it here. That's discuss it, not ask for support. Some people are both Ubuntu and Debian developers. There is organisational talk between Ubuntu and Debian, a recent example being synchronisation of freezes. Very occasionally code is developed for Ubuntu (or hosted Launchpad) which later gets adopted by Debian (examples being update-manager, dir2ogg). All this means that discussion of Ubuntu can be very relevant and is entirely appropriate for a Debian forum.
Those would be excellent discussion topics on Debian Forums and it's a shame that those topics are rarely discussed on this board.
julian67 wrote:There is no resolution center here; the comic, the inane and the kafkaesque can be found throughout the entire board.
Unfortunately, most Ubuntu-related discussions on this board tend towards "the comic, the inane and the kafkaesque."

llivv

#77 Post by llivv »

Soul Singin' wrote:
julian67 wrote:As Ubuntu is derived from Debian it's reasonable for people to discuss it here. That's discuss it, not ask for support. Some people are both Ubuntu and Debian developers. There is organisational talk between Ubuntu and Debian, a recent example being synchronisation of freezes. Very occasionally code is developed for Ubuntu (or hosted Launchpad) which later gets adopted by Debian (examples being update-manager, dir2ogg). All this means that discussion of Ubuntu can be very relevant and is entirely appropriate for a Debian forum.
Those would be excellent discussion topics on Debian Forums and it's a shame that those topics are rarely discussed on this board.
Can be!!! But rarely is!
Soul Singin' wrote:
julian67 wrote:There is no resolution center here; the comic, the inane and the kafkaesque can be found throughout the entire board.
Unfortunately, most Ubuntu-related discussions on this board tend towards "the comic, the inane and the kafkaesque."
see first quote again
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Zoot
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#78 Post by Zoot »

I voted the last option as I don't feel outright censorship of any said topic is the way to go on any forum.

I see no problem whatsoever if an ex-Ubuntu user comes here and says they don't like Ubuntu because <insert reasons here> and that they now use Debian and rather Debian itself or the Debian way of doing things because <insert reasons here>. But if someone comes along and their post(s) is/are of the form ZOMG!! Ubuntu SUCKSS!!1!, Canonical are Teh EvilZ!!, some other type of drivel along those lines, then yes it possibly warrants action but not otherwise IMO.

jheaton5

#79 Post by jheaton5 »

Don't ban the Ubuntu discussions here. How else can we get good advice on fixing stuff? Surely you don't expect us to use the Ubuntu Forums! :)
debian sid

refracta

#80 Post by refracta »

jheaton5 wrote: How else can we get good advice on fixing stuff?
:lol: all twenty pages of 'good advice'

Issyer

#81 Post by Issyer »

I think, it should NOT. Because it is not nice. Debian users should be friendly and knowledgeable and willing to help other people not only with the Debian stuff but with other OSs as well and in general with the life wisdom, and not scare away newbies like a team of stray dogs. Because such a kind attitude will attract more people who will be grateful to the Debian community. More gratefulness means more donations. More donations means more development. More development means a better quality. A better quality means more happiness to the Debian users. One smart guy, whose name was Napoleon Hill, used to say in his book "Think and Grow Rich:
The watchword of the future will be HUMAN HAPPINESS AND CONTENTMENT, and when this state of mind shall have been attained, the production will take care of itself...
So, adorable Debian community, don't even dare to frighten Ubuntu users unless you want to kill this way your future, yourself and your favorite OS, which is Debian, I guess.

craigevil

#82 Post by craigevil »

Simple Ubuntu help is this way >>
Ubuntu Forums - http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php
Official Ubuntu Documentation - https://help.ubuntu.com/

Mint help is this way >>>
Main Page - Linux Mint - http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Linux Mint Forums • Index page - http://forums.linuxmint.com/

If they need any more help than that there is always Google Search - http://www.google.com

I wish I could find the Ubuntu forum page where it stated they did not support any other distro, saw it the other day bounding around the net but didn't think to save it.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

smallchange

#83 Post by smallchange »

Issyer wrote: I think, it should NOT. Because it is not nice. Debian users should be friendly and knowledgeable and willing to help other people not only with the Debian stuff but with other OSs as well and in general with the life wisdom, and not scare away newbies like a team of stray dogs. Because such a kind attitude will attract more people who will be grateful to the Debian community. More gratefulness means more donations. More donations means more development. More development means a better quality.
What a crock. It assumes that all the crap that people spread about Debian users being elitists is true when it is not true. People who are scared of Debian users will contribute nothing to Debian. More development only means better quality if the developers know what quality is and how to produce it. Making Debian fit some idiots idea of user friendly will not improve the quality of Debian. Trying to satisfy every stupid complaint will only waste time. Debian is a good, solid, dependable quality system because Debian developers have developed quality working software and have not spent their time trying to appease every idiot in the world.

AMLJ

#84 Post by AMLJ »

I think nothing should be censored
BUT
They should go to Offtopic section as they are not related to Debian. It'd be great if admins move these kinds of topics there.
AMLJ**0-1-47

bushpilot

#85 Post by bushpilot »

I go into Linux Mint, and Ubuntu forums and find that there is a great deal of pertinent solutions that can be applied to Debian. Openness works well for me. As an example, I the Linux Mint Debian forum I finally learned how to get both printer and wireless working in Debian 6.

traveler

#86 Post by traveler »

The last place on Earth I would ever want "help" with Debian is on the Ubuntu or Mint forums.*
* Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

bugsbunny

#87 Post by bugsbunny »

traveler wrote:The last place on Earth I would ever want "help" with Debian is on the Ubuntu or Mint forums.*
* Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.
That's a bit shortsighted. There's a lot of fluff and noise over in the 'buntu forums. However there are some very knowledgeable people there as well and it is possible to find a nugget every now and then. Plus a lot of the technical articles/howtos are well written and applicable to Debian as well (sometimes with slight modification).

The biggest problem over there is cutting through the signal to noise ratio.

traveler

#88 Post by traveler »

The point of my post is this. Why would a Debian user go to Ubuntu or Mint's forums to ask their questions? Is it such a leap that Ubuntu and Mint users would ever think likewise and go ask questions of others who actually use their distro?
I have no doubt that extremely competent users can be found on any forum and never called that into question.

Better said, if I want a steak I go to the butcher's counter. I don't go ask the dude in produce.
Damn, hanging out with Nadir too much. :P
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

bugsbunny

#89 Post by bugsbunny »

Going there and asking for help about Debian - no I wouldn't recommend that :) Searching the forums there for possible existing answers is what I was referring to.

knarf

#90 Post by knarf »

No, there should not be any censorship. Much of what is applicable to Debian also works for Ubuntu so Ubuntu-users should be allowed to come here and mention their use of this distribution. If they ask really Ubuntu-specific questions ('Ubuntu-one deleted all my files') they can be redirected to the Ubuntu forums or other Ubuntu-specific sources, but many of their questions will be just as valid for Debian.
No censorship. No wanton editing of user postings either, if they are offensive or otherwise unfit to publish they can be moved to a special thread to be removed if not user-edited within a given period.
[ "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur
et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est." ]

cynwulf

#91 Post by cynwulf »

yawn...

dmhdlr

#92 Post by dmhdlr »

I have a related suggestion: ban the promotion of Arch Linux for a being a mindless exercise in anti-GNU posturing!
[formerly known as Deckard]
"Emacs: making you posthuman since 1976"
Axiom #1: Emacs is a text interface prosthesis
Axiom #2: Org-mode gives you super cyborg organizational powers
cf. Why Emacs | Emacs-fu | EmacsWiki | Worg

qjqqyy

#93 Post by qjqqyy »

the 2 ppl above just bumped into thread inactive for 2 months
and this thread is 1 year old
btw arch is seriously not bad

bw123

#94 Post by bw123 »

the only thing I don't like about Ubuntu is how people say "I used Ubuntu and it worked fine," then tell you nothing else about the problem they are having _with Debian_

While this is a real quote, certain details have been omitted, changed and altered to protect the insane.
I have this problem my Z103doodad won't work, I had Windows 7 on this computer and it was slow, Mint was awesome but I can't afford it, and Ubuntu Rulez but I want to try Debian now. So will anybody help me with my Z103?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

cynwulf

#95 Post by cynwulf »

qjqqyy wrote:the 2 ppl above just bumped into thread inactive for 2 months
and this thread is 1 year old
Sue me.
qjqqyy wrote:btw arch is seriously not bad
Use Arch, I hear it just feels faster...