Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Yes. Debian only please.
22
19%
50-50. Please censor complaints about Ubuntu.
16
14%
No. Censorship in any form is unacceptable.
79
68%
 
Total votes : 117

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby Parsifal » 2010-04-10 17:47

hkoster1 wrote:What really irritates me is those converts from Ubuntu who have seen the (Debian) light and can now only make disparaging remarks about Ubuntu.

I agree with this. I'm an ex-Ubuntu user myself, and I really like Debian and I'd like to keep using it as my primary OS, having only got it working with my wireless card a few days ago. From what I've seen I really like the Debian community, except for the tendency of some people to make entirely unnecessary jabs at Ubuntu. As I said before, I think GNU/Linux distributions - at least, those which aim to support the free software movement, so I exclude distros like OpenSUSE and Linux Mint in this - should be working together, not against each other.
Email: steven@steven-mcdonald.id.au
IRC: Parsifal on Freenode and OFTC
XMPP (Jabber): steven-mcdonald@jabber.org.au
User avatar
Parsifal
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 2010-04-10 09:30
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby nadir » 2010-04-10 17:57

hkoster1 wrote:Censorship of Ubuntu-related posts is just too much, and not needed since people can always skip those posts (I know I do).

Skipped like this one? :wink:

Come on, this thread has got 150 views and three pages of answers within a day. For all other threads of that kind it's the same. Obviously the whole subject is very entertaining for forums.debian (either to make some fun, or to bash, or to present oneself as a grown-up).

< a joke>
19 days left, the next Piñata should be prepared now. I bring the beer.
< end joke>
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
User avatar
nadir
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: 2009-10-05 22:06
Location: away

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby snowpine » 2010-04-10 18:10

That would be like saying you can't talk about gorillas on a chimpanzee message board. :) Ubuntu and Debian share 99% of the same DNA; discussions of Ubuntu are definitely on-topic (IMHO) just as I consider discussions of Debian on-topic over at Ubuntu Forums.

That being said, I agree it is immature to take one's dirty laundry from another forum and air it here (or vice-versa). I am all for keeping forum discussions positive and respectful (but not through heavy-handed censorship of course).

There are so many positive reasons to choose Debian; "because I hate Ubuntu" seems silly to me.
Last edited by snowpine on 2010-04-10 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
snowpine
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 2009-02-09 20:04

Re: mischief

Postby Soul Singin' » 2010-04-10 18:14

MALsPa wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote:I just posted this poll and my original post over at Ubuntu Forums.

Let's see how long it lasts.

:lol:

If the thread doesn't get closed, it'll be fun to see what replies get posted!

Closed in under an hour.
.
User avatar
Soul Singin'
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 2008-12-21 07:02

discussion of Ubuntu be censored

Postby llivv » 2010-04-10 19:08

I think it needs to be said,
and even if Dean is the most vocal/annoying
here on the subject, this forum would be a very different place without him.
Just like this forum is a very different place without Levene ( whos commentary I miss a lot)....
I support Deans views of Uuu even if I don't always agree with everything he says
or in every way feel the same about specific issue..
I know there is a big Uuu influence on the Debian community
much the same as there is a big $$ influence on the software industry in general.
And if you don't believe that there is a correlation there, you're not paying attention.
\* EOR*\
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
User avatar
llivv
 
Posts: 5484
Joined: 2007-02-14 18:10
Location: cold storage

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby AdrianTM » 2010-04-10 20:55

You can always ban people who are idiotic constantly, I did that with 3-4 and the crap I see has reduced by 90%.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.
User avatar
AdrianTM
 
Posts: 2520
Joined: 2004-09-19 01:08

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby edbarx » 2010-04-10 21:59

Civilised informative discussion should never be forbidden. :wink:

My opinion, is that too much moderation invariably makes the forum feel like a desolate graveyard in winter.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
User avatar
edbarx
 
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-07-18 06:19
Location: 35° 50 N, 14 º 35 E

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby Soul Singin' » 2010-04-11 04:19

edbarx wrote:Civilised informative discussion should never be forbidden. :wink:

The trouble is that the Ubuntu Piñata Fests are never civilized, informative or worthy of discussion.

For example, consider a few quotes from the latest piñata fest:
BowCatShot wrote:Good grief, how totalitarian. Do they have a communist manifesto over there?
uc50ic4more wrote:... but communism != totalitariansim. Debian resembles communism *much* more closely and faithfully than the benevolent dictator-run, hierarchic, corporate, capitalist Ubuntu.
Hallvor wrote:I was quite active on their forum in the past, but could no longer live with the totalitarian regime over there.
sossego wrote:The thread has entered the sossego insanity realm.
sir fer wrote:... Ubuntu sucks.
.
User avatar
Soul Singin'
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 2008-12-21 07:02

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby AdrianTM » 2010-04-11 04:27

I see stupidity... nothing really to censor... and I've already blocked one of the posters anyway, I do my own censorship, I don't fell like I should censor the forum for other people, I suggest you do the same, ban the idiots and you'll see their posts only if somebody is kind to quote them. I tell you, this saves you a lot of time and nerves.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.
User avatar
AdrianTM
 
Posts: 2520
Joined: 2004-09-19 01:08

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby Soul Singin' » 2010-04-11 04:42

AdrianTM wrote:I see stupidity... nothing really to censor... and I've already blocked one of the posters anyway, I do my own censorship, I don't fell like I should censor the forum for other people, I suggest you do the same, ban the idiots and you'll see their posts only if somebody is kind to quote them. I tell you, this saves you a lot of time and nerves.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

Can I ban angry Ubuntu exiles before they land here?
.
User avatar
Soul Singin'
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 2008-12-21 07:02

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby AdrianTM » 2010-04-11 04:59

Soul Singin' wrote:
AdrianTM wrote:I see stupidity... nothing really to censor... and I've already blocked one of the posters anyway, I do my own censorship, I don't fell like I should censor the forum for other people, I suggest you do the same, ban the idiots and you'll see their posts only if somebody is kind to quote them. I tell you, this saves you a lot of time and nerves.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

Can I ban angry Ubuntu exiles before they land here?
.

Of course not, but if that's their own purpose here you can safely block them (add them to "foe" list) Besides, bitching about Ubuntu and stupidity go hand in hand, you won't miss much if you block them. I blocked 4-5 people, you still see that they post but you won't see what they post unless you click to expand their post, at the beginning I was still expanding their posts curious to find what I was missing, I found out that each of their posts was idiotic, that pretty much confirmed my initial decision to block them.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.
User avatar
AdrianTM
 
Posts: 2520
Joined: 2004-09-19 01:08

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby Soul Singin' » 2010-04-11 05:13

AdrianTM wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote:Can I ban angry Ubuntu exiles before they land here?

Of course not, but if that's their own purpose here you can safely block them (add them to "foe" list) Besides, bitching about Ubuntu and stupidity go hand in hand, you won't miss much if you block them. I blocked 4-5 people, you still see that they post but you won't see what they post unless you click to expand their post, at the beginning I was still expanding their posts curious to find what I was missing, I found out that each of their posts was idiotic, that pretty much confirmed my initial decision to block them.

Cool.

Hmmm ... Who should be the first person on my "foes" list? ... Oh yeah! shadowking !!!
.
User avatar
Soul Singin'
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 2008-12-21 07:02

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby julian67 » 2010-04-11 06:04

I believe this thread constitutes whining about Ubuntu, and what is more it brings out superubuntuman to defend his beloved so it's spam as well. Can someone please move this thread to the resolution center?

Infractions, warnings and jailing all round :D
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
User avatar
julian67
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: 2007-04-06 14:39
Location: Just hanging around

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby AdrianTM » 2010-04-11 06:10

Soul Singin' wrote:Hmmm ... Who should be the first person on my "foes" list? ... Oh yeah! shadowking !!!
.

I've actually had him banned for a while, but I did learn something useful from his trolling, for example my Windows machine that I use once a month or even less got the filehippo treatment (he recommended it) and it's much easier to keep up with the upgrades, so even a troll is sometimes useful.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.
User avatar
AdrianTM
 
Posts: 2520
Joined: 2004-09-19 01:08

Re: mischief

Postby mojoman » 2010-04-11 08:00

Soul Singin' wrote:
MALsPa wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote:I just posted this poll and my original post over at Ubuntu Forums.

Let's see how long it lasts.

:lol:

If the thread doesn't get closed, it'll be fun to see what replies get posted!

Closed in under an hour.
.


And maybe for good reasons. Why on earth should ubuntuforums.com have a poll about whether or not discussions concerning ubuntu should be allowed on forums.debian.net?
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.
User avatar
mojoman
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 2006-10-15 18:43

PreviousNext

Return to Forum stuff & feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

fashionable