Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Yes. Debian only please.
22
19%
50-50. Please censor complaints about Ubuntu.
16
14%
No. Censorship in any form is unacceptable.
79
68%
 
Total votes : 117

Re: mischief

Postby Soul Singin' » 2010-04-11 08:15

mojoman wrote:And maybe for good reasons. Why on earth should ubuntuforums.com have a poll about whether or not discussions concerning ubuntu should be allowed on forums.debian.net?

That was the point !

  • Why on earth should Debian Forums have discussions about Ubuntu Forums ???
  • Why do Ubuntu exiles bring their grievances with Ubuntu Forums over here ???
.
User avatar
Soul Singin'
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 2008-12-21 07:02

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby julian67 » 2010-04-11 08:24

So your new ubuntu thread is ok but others should be disallowed? Hmmm....are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the comm....err...an admin at ubuntuforums?
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
User avatar
julian67
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: 2007-04-06 14:39
Location: Just hanging around

Re: mischief

Postby mojoman » 2010-04-11 08:28

Soul Singin' wrote:
  • Why on earth should Debian Forums have discussions about Ubuntu Forums ???

I'd rather see that we didn't but not to the extent that I'd want to see it forbidden.

Soul Singin' wrote:
  • Why do Ubuntu exiles bring their grievances with Ubuntu Forums over here ???
.

It's a common behavior of people who have applied for, and been granted, asylum.

Seriously though, I do find it a bit bothersome. I mean, if one have a problem with ubuntuforums.com, don't hang out there. I find it irritatingly conformist and intolerant and to boot it also have a huge amount of people who are utterly clueless. Nothing wrong with being clueless, I've been it myself when I started out but the amount of posts and threads that I would characterize as useless is immense. So, I don't hang out there. It's really that simple. But both you and Nadir sure have a point when you say that these threads draw a lot of attention. They go on for pages and and get a high number of views. I know I can contribute to this sometimes, even though I don't particularly like it. Maybe we need to be a little more egocentric here.

Oh, if only some of my arcane technical problems received the same attention...
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.
User avatar
mojoman
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 2006-10-15 18:43

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby Soul Singin' » 2010-04-11 08:29

julian67 wrote:So your new ubuntu thread is ok but others should be disallowed? Hmmm....are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the comm....err...an admin at ubuntuforums?

Of course the thread at Ubuntu Forums was out of place !!!

That's the point !!!

Why is it OK to discuss Ubuntu Forums here at Debian Forums, but it's not OK to discuss Debian Forums at Ubuntu Forums ???
.
User avatar
Soul Singin'
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 2008-12-21 07:02

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby korami » 2010-04-11 08:36

I also agree there is too much Ubuntu whining and banning on this forum, but I don't think that those who have lately switched from Ubuntu to Debian have the most disparaging remarks (I say this in my defense too)...

Since censorship and open-source don't cope well together, there should be other ways to avoid Ubuntu discussions... like for example create a whole new forum called forums.ubuntu-haters.com or something. All these discussions wouldn't need to be off-topic over there :D
korami
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2010-03-28 10:55

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby julian67 » 2010-04-11 08:38

Soul Singin' wrote:Why is it OK to discuss Ubuntu Forums here at Debian Forums, but it's not OK to discuss Debian Forums at Ubuntu Forums ???


It's OK here because this isn't Stepford and we can talk about pretty much anything vaguely related to computing. It's not OK there because....because...who cares anyway?
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
User avatar
julian67
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: 2007-04-06 14:39
Location: Just hanging around

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby mojoman » 2010-04-11 08:49

korami wrote:I also agree there is too much Ubuntu whining and banning on this forum [...]


There is a lot of banning on this forum? Really?
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.
User avatar
mojoman
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 2006-10-15 18:43

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby mojoman » 2010-04-11 08:59

julian67 wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote:Why is it OK to discuss Ubuntu Forums here at Debian Forums, but it's not OK to discuss Debian Forums at Ubuntu Forums ???


It's OK here because this isn't Stepford and we can talk about pretty much anything vaguely related to computing. It's not OK there because....because...who cares anyway?


Well, maybe if the poll in ubuntuforums.com had been "Should discussing Debian on ubuntuforums.com be banned?" it wouldn't have been locked (then again it may well have been...) but to ask "Should discussing Ubuntu on debian.forums.net be banned?" on ubuntuforums is just ... outlandish.

Ok, maybe being outlandish isn't a good reason to lock thread, Sossego's threads aren't locked after all. But still, locking that thread is not by far the worst I've seen when it comes to locking threads (here or there).
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.
User avatar
mojoman
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 2006-10-15 18:43

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby korami » 2010-04-11 12:11

mojoman wrote:
korami wrote:I also agree there is too much Ubuntu whining and banning on this forum [...]


There is a lot of banning on this forum? Really?


Appologies, I meant bashing. :oops:
korami
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2010-03-28 10:55

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby kc1di » 2010-04-11 12:18

IMHO censorship is not the answer. I don't know why people want to debase Ubuntu other than they seem to be at the top in Distrowatch's list.
I've tried many distros over the years since 1992 and find good in most of them , even ubuntu has it's good side. so let's focus on what people are doing right instead of
what is always lacking , I know that's not human nature, but seriously every linux distro i've used in the past and present has it's good spots. some more than others. I think the fact that I always end up coming back to Debian speaks volumes about how well it's put together. and we should just concentrate on that. there is no need in tearing down ubuntu or any other distro. If some one complains about Ubuntu this or that simply try to point them to whats right with Debian. or Distro xx .

Censorship is not the answer. We can all learn a thing or two by hearing what others perceive is wrong with other distros and make up our minds what works best for each of us. those decrying Ubuntu today may be singing it's praises tomorrow and those who can't stand Debian today maybe won over tomorrow.
Dave
Morse Code -An Early digital mode !
Stretch
John 3:16
Registered Linux User # 462608
User avatar
kc1di
 
Posts: 211
Joined: 2007-03-12 12:52
Location: Somewhere In Maine

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby cynwulf » 2010-04-11 13:45

Should not be banned, but also it should not be the focus. Threads like this highlight it and make it seem to be an "issue", which it isn't. Just ignore those threads.
cynwulf
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 2008-09-25 08:49

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby Soul Singin' » 2010-04-11 15:40

cynwulf wrote:Should not be banned, but also it should not be the focus. Threads like this highlight it and make it seem to be an "issue", which it isn't. Just ignore those threads.

Did you ignore this thread? Nope! You felt the need to read it and post a response. And you felt the need to respond to all three of our currently running Ubuntu Piñata Fests.

At the moment, one of those piñata fests has 55 posts, another has 45 posts and the third has 38 posts. By posting this message, I am bringing this Ubuntu-related thread up to 57 posts. A search for the term "ubuntu" yields 13,165 matches. That's almost 5 percent of the 278,226 posts on this board.

Obviously, we are not ignoring the Ubuntu Piñata Fests. Instead we have made Ubuntu a primary topic of conversation and ignored the technical support questions that this board is intended to address.

mojoman wrote:Oh, if only some of my arcane technical problems received the same attention...


So I am now opposed to my own reasonable proposal (for a modest ban on Ubuntu whining) and I am switching my vote to "Yes. Debian only please."

I now support a complete ban on all discussion of Ubuntu and I politely request that the moderators of this forum immediately impose a lifetime ban on anyone who engages in an Ubuntu Piñata Fest.
.
User avatar
Soul Singin'
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 2008-12-21 07:02

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby julian67 » 2010-04-11 16:39

Soul Singin' wrote:Did you ignore this thread? Nope! You felt the need to read it and post a response. And you felt the need to respond to all three of our currently running Ubuntu Piñata Fests.


And you felt the need to create this one which is growing and growing. Talk about adding fuel to the fire...

Soul Singin' wrote:I now support a complete ban on all discussion of Ubuntu and I politely request that the moderators of this forum immediately impose a lifetime ban on anyone who engages in an Ubuntu Piñata Fest.


And I want it to always be sunny on my birthday and I want ice cream every day and when I enter a room I'd like to hear a fanfare of trumpets instead of muted curses and farting noises.

But I do support your demand to have yourself banned, you seem to be obsessed with spamming this board with ubuntu hate. I asked AdrianTM and he said you have a mental derangement. I guess he felt strongly about it because he didn't speak but wrote it on the wall in his own blood while laughing and crying.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
User avatar
julian67
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: 2007-04-06 14:39
Location: Just hanging around

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby Soul Singin' » 2010-04-11 17:19

julian67 wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote:I now support a complete ban on all discussion of Ubuntu and I politely request that the moderators of this forum immediately impose a lifetime ban on anyone who engages in an Ubuntu Piñata Fest.

But I do support your demand to have yourself banned, ...

This thread is not an Ubuntu Piñata Fest. It's a Debian Forums Piñata Fest.
.
User avatar
Soul Singin'
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 2008-12-21 07:02

Re: Should discussion of Ubuntu be censored?

Postby AdrianTM » 2010-04-11 17:28

I mostly have fun with Ubuntu threads that's why I post in them, why do you want to take away the fun from this forum?

People who use Debian and bitch about Ubuntu probably have low self esteem that they feel the need to bitch about Ubuntu to make their distro look good or to make themselves accepted on this forum.

I'm not of the opinion that Debian in order to look good needs to knock other distros down, there's no need, really. Debian shines by what it is and what it does not by how bad other distros are.

As for feeling part of a gang, I was never fan of that, some people need to "belong", that's probably again that low self-esteem, they feel that they will not be accepted on this forum if they don't do what's considered "cool" -- making fun of brown.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.
User avatar
AdrianTM
 
Posts: 2520
Joined: 2004-09-19 01:08

PreviousNext

Return to Forum stuff & feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

fashionable