Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ok OK

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
refracta

Re: Ok OK

#81 Post by refracta »

MALsPa wrote: I laugh at all the Ubuntu bashing that goes on here.
I laugh at the thought that criticism is the same as bashing.....who could possibly consider that the same thing except fanbois

MALsPa

#82 Post by MALsPa »

refracta wrote:
MALsPa wrote: I laugh at all the Ubuntu bashing that goes on here.
I laugh at the thought that criticism is the same as bashing.....who could possibly consider that the same thing except fanbois
Some of it is simply criticism, to be sure, and that's fair enough. Quite a good amount of it is simply bashing. There is a difference.

refracta

#83 Post by refracta »

MALsPa wrote: Quite a good amount of it is simply bashing. There is a difference.
Please point out the good amount of bashing..

MALsPa

#84 Post by MALsPa »

refracta wrote:
MALsPa wrote: Quite a good amount of it is simply bashing. There is a difference.
Please point out the good amount of bashing..
I don't think I need to go through and find examples for you. There's no reason for me to try to convince you of anything, anyway. I know that other folks have noticed the Ubuntu bashing that goes on here, and folks have commented about it here and in other Linux forums as well as privately. It's really no secret. If you don't see it already, then it would be pointless to even try to point it out to you.

refracta

#85 Post by refracta »

yea....those people wearing brown colored glasses could find ubuntu bashing in the slightest of slights so I am sure they have a aneurysm at this forum

I am sure that even this is even considered bashing
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/lpc_2008_keynote.html

MALsPa

#86 Post by MALsPa »

LOL! Well, put it like this, some folks do spend a lot of time and go to a lot of trouble to criticize Ubuntu! :lol:

julian67

#87 Post by julian67 »

MALsPa wrote:LOL! Well, put it like this, some folks do spend a lot of time and go to a lot of trouble to criticize Ubuntu! :lol:
How about putting something to that effect in your sig and then going after people you think are bashing, and complaining to them and about them and the issue in general? I hear it can work wonders.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

refracta

#88 Post by refracta »

MALsPa wrote:LOL! Well, put it like this, some folks do spend a lot of time and go to a lot of trouble to criticize Ubuntu! :lol:
oh it is no trouble at all.....that is what a community is for :wink:

Bring up novell/suse in every thread and I assure you that you will hear people criticize them a lot too...

MALsPa

#89 Post by MALsPa »

julian67 wrote:
How about putting something to that effect in your sig and then going after people you think are bashing, and complaining to them and about them and the issue in general? I hear it can work wonders.
No thanks, but it is kinda cute sometimes when folks take cheap shots at others with cleverly-worded remarks in their sigs, isn't it? Most of the time, though, I don't even notice a person's sig.

MALsPa

#90 Post by MALsPa »

refracta wrote:Bring up novell/suse in every thread and I assure you that you will hear people criticize them a lot too...
true

mojoman

#91 Post by mojoman »

refracta wrote:debian download - free
debian forum account - free
debian drama - priceless

:shock:
I just have to say this: Best post on the forum. Ever. I take my hat off, Sir.

So, guess we won't be seeing AdrianTM for a while, huh? Well, AbsentMinded can't spell for crap but what he writes still makes sense (most of the time) so who cares? And considering that he's a genuinely open and welcoming kind of guy that goes out of his way to be kind to everyone on this forum I don't think anyone would agree with AdrianTM (on this or much else actually). I'm glad AM is a moderator on this forum.

And for what it's worth, even though this forum would be a little more coherent and predictable without Sossego. I've kind of grown fond of his outlandish posts, not to mention that his quite knowledgeable and contribute a lot. @ Sossego: Why don't you just take your meds every now and then and hang around?
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.

Absent Minded

#92 Post by Absent Minded »

nadir wrote:
Absent Minded wrote:His ban is not perminant, if he chooses to come back and use his existing account he can do so in a few weeks. Having said that, no one has stopped him from creating a new account to use if he were to have an emergency and need help.
Thanks for the info.

If i am correct Adrian had one post in this thread which was not ok.
Without knowing any internals i think a ban for "a few weeks" is a bit hard.
(2 weeks is a few weeks, but 12 is also a few weeks).
He was here when i arrived (bout Nov.08) and has got a lot of posts, about 2500 (with most of them i disagree, but thats not the point).

I don't think banning is a good way of solving problems (but it might be there are no other ways).
I for one would think it was a bit sad if he would be gone from here.

I don't find the words, so, to sum it up: it's not that i wouldn't mind if one gets lost.
That doesn't say that what he has posted was ok (au contraire, and i have reported a post where he said something similar. I never report posts of the users, only spam, so i was really angry about it).

Come on...
Hi Nadir,
I am guessing that you must have missed this post I made:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 45#p301257

As you can see (i think), the action I took was not just over the single post (although, yes, that single post was enough to have given him a perminant ban). I don't really want to go into all the astetics of this or even really want to keep talking about this incedent. However, I do feel that people have a right to know a reasonable amount of detail of why some moderator took a certian action (in this case action taken by me). While I have deliberately not posted the specific length of time off given (as I feel it is not really vital information for others to have), AdrianTM should be aware of how long the ban lasts if he read the message given in the notification he was issued. I don't feel as I am at liberty to relate to anyone the discussion of this issue between our moderators and administrators on this but I do want to assure you and others that yes, this issue has been evaluated and discussed by a fair chunk of the forum staff and that the action I took was deemed reasonable.

In an earlier post I stated this:
Granted, something should have been done to address the situation before it ended like it has in this thread ...

He should have been warrned (at least) for the post you reported and banned for what he stated in the very next post he later edited and is now pretty much blank. Why the mod that closed your report on those 2 posts didn't take any action I am not sure. I will however say that we ALL try to avoid banning forum members and use it as a last resort to the best of our ability.

To this I will add that it is difficult to reason with someone willing to personally attack any official. A person that will do this is already aware of what could happen and obviously doesn't care what the concequence is. If in doubt go bash any public officer about the head and shoulders and see what happens. I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that you will automatically recieve a stay at the local Hilton on your first offence let alone if it was your 4th or 5th time doing so. Here in the USA it is a Fellony offence to attack a servent of the public verbally the way I was attacked here on the forum (multiple times I might add). Since this is a relitively new law (only about 10 years old), it is posted on large placks on the walls of places that use to commonly have this problem.

To wrap this up:
I would like to thank those who have come forward to voice their opinions. Some have meant quite allot to me. I try very hard to be honest, open and over all fair with others. I am glad to see that this is not missed by others here and also that it is appriciated. It is important to me that everyone knows that regardless of my own pride that I give my all to do the right thing.

AM
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

nadir

#93 Post by nadir »

It sure is not easy to reply to a post which is so beautiful written (Wow). Not sure why i feel that way, but i do: beautiful.
I will make it short: Thanks a lot for the clarification. Like i said above: "sorry i can't say it different than i did". I hope somehow you got what i had in mind ( i think yes).
You are right: i have read the post you linked to, but i didn't get all of its content. Sorry.

greetings and thanks for all
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Absent Minded

#94 Post by Absent Minded »

nadir wrote:It sure is not easy to reply to a post which is so beautiful written (Wow). Not sure why i feel that way, but i do: beautiful.
I will make it short: Thanks a lot for the clarification. Like i said above: "sorry i can't say it different than i did". I hope somehow you got what i had in mind ( i think yes).
You are right: i have read the post you linked to, but i didn't get all of its content. Sorry.

greetings and thanks for all
I get the feeling that you are being sincere in your statement. So accordingly, I would like to say "Thank you".

I do believe I understood your meaning correctly and have tried hard to address your concerns.

You are welcome. I hope I have been clear and understandable regarding this and that I have mannaged to address your concerns fully.

AM
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012