Ok OK

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Re: Ok OK

Postby Absent Minded » 2010-05-27 03:03

Thank you sossego.

Unfortunantly, I do have a breaking point (one can and should only take so much). I do aim to be fair with everyone as well as upfront and honest with my reasons for things. I take my lumps when I am in the wrong and do what I can to correct the situation. If someone is unable to accept this, there is not much that can be said/done to change it.

Spelling has never been as important to me as the ability to convay my meaning or intent. I suppose if this looks bad for the forum, I need to work on it as I don't want the forum to be put in a poor light. I don't feel however that this is the case. If enough others feel I am wrong in this assumption I will try to do more about my colorful spelling. Anyone is welcome to send me a PM regarding this and I won't be offended. I don't see a need to litter the forum in respect to this though.

On a more serious note, if the members of this forum do not feel that I (or anyone else for that matter) am handling my posision properly or am abusing any privledge afforded to me then this needs to be addressed. One can either take the issue up with me in a PM in a respectable manner or take the issue up with a member of the Administrators team (which ever seems more approperate to you). As I have stated, I am willing to take my lumps where deserved. Although I do not personaly like the idea at times, I have not stopped anyone from starting a thread to discuse issues regarding my (or anyone elses) reasons for some act as a moderator.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012
Absent Minded

Postby julian67 » 2010-05-27 03:15

Absent Minded wrote:Spelling has never been as important to me as the ability to convay my meaning or intent. I suppose if this looks bad for the forum, I need to work on it

No need to work on it. Just enable spell checking in your browser. I have it enabled in Iceweasel and it catches most stuff. Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Check my spelling as I type
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
julian67

Postby BioTube » 2010-05-27 03:18

Careful with those spellcheckers, lest they turn your 'Ragnarok' into 'Kangaroo'.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Postby dbbolton » 2010-05-27 04:23

How do you formally request that the staff tend to your desperate need for attention?
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF

Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.
dbbolton

Postby julian67 » 2010-05-27 04:41

dbbolton wrote:How do you formally request that the staff tend to your desperate need for attention?

That's already been demonstrated in this thread. You swear at and insult them. Then you get paid some attention in a 'kicked down the steps and out on your ass' kind of way.
julian67

Postby Absent Minded » 2010-05-27 05:28

Dang, I was going to respond but you beat me to it julian. Now I can't quit laughing long enough to think of some kind of slick responce. Too funny!!
Updated Nov. 19, 2012
Absent Minded

Postby dbbolton » 2010-05-27 05:36

julian67 wrote:
dbbolton wrote:How do you formally request that the staff tend to your desperate need for attention?

That's already been demonstrated in this thread. You swear at and insult them. Then you get paid some attention in a 'kicked down the steps and out on your ass' kind of way.

"Trouble is a form of attention!" --Millhouse van Houten.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF

Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.
dbbolton

Postby jheaton5 » 2010-05-27 09:46

AdrianTM wrote:I, for one, think you are the most idiotic moderator that I've ever seen on any forums. Beside being illiterate that you make people who speak English as the third language cringe, I think you also lack the minimum IQ to understand posts... how did you end up being a moderator here is a mystery.

Is this direct enough you f*****g moron?

Edited by AM for profanity.

This kind of personal attack should not be tolerated.
debian sid
jheaton5

Postby Soul Singin' » 2010-05-27 12:23

jheaton5 wrote:This kind of personal attack should not be tolerated.

I'm trying to figure out if it was a joke or not. In person, the tone of a person's voice tells us if their comments are sarcasm or not. On the web, we don't have that luxury.

Here's how I call the shots ...

Absent Minded opened the door when he wrote:

Absent Minded wrote:But hey, why stop when you could win yourself an administrative leave of sorts?

Adrian then wrote:

AdrianTM wrote:I, for one, think you are the most idiotic moderator ...

Note that he was asking for the "administrative leave" that Absent Minded offered, which is why he concluded with:

AdrianTM wrote:Is this direct enough you f*****g moron?

So was it a joke? Did Adrian really mean what he wrote?

I hope this is a simple case of poorly written and completely misunderstood sarcasm.

In thinking about the question, remember that this is a thread about how to get yourself banned from Debian Forums.
Soul Singin'

Postby julian67 » 2010-05-27 16:56

Is your post a joke?
julian67

Postby MALsPa » 2010-05-27 17:23

How beautiful. Romance is in the air.
MALsPa

Postby jheaton5 » 2010-05-27 17:29

@Soul Singin': You may be right, but it's a bit far fetched. I wouldn't take it as a joke if it were said about me, but then it would only be a statement of fact.
debian sid
jheaton5

Postby julian67 » 2010-05-27 17:35

It absolutely definitely was not a joke, except maybe in a parallel universe. It wasn't much more than a distillation of earlier posts and style, but this time without inhibition.
julian67

Postby Absent Minded » 2010-05-28 03:24

For those who might be interested, it has been pointed out to me that this kind of thing is strictly prohibited in our use policy that we agree to when we sign up to use the forum. I would post the relavent registration page link but it seems to just redirect an already authorised user to the main index page of the forum but here is the quote from it offered to me:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Debian User Forums” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us.

It would seem that our forum guidelines makes less of an issue of this than what we agree to when we sign-up.

As I failed to remember just how direct and strictly this was stated, I am guessing there may be others that don't readily remember the details of what we agreed to as well. Anyway, I will see what I can do about making this document available on the forum for others like me who can't quite remember this kind of thing in detail.

@Soul Singin':
Given the recent history between myself and AdrianTM there is no way I could possibly have taken what was stated by AdrianTM in any other way than a (very) personal attack.

As I feel that my charictor maybe questioned as a result of me being the one to take an administrative action in this case. I would like to say, had this incident occured between two other users with simular histories, I would have still taken the action that I took in this case. I however can only offer you my history here as evidence of my integrity in this situation.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012
Absent Minded

PreviousNext

Return to Forum stuff & feedback