Colored debian forum account

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Colored debian forum account

Postby cola » 2010-06-03 11:04

Some accounts in this forum are colored green and red.
They are moderators?
Why?
How is it done?
User avatar
cola
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 2009-03-09 21:28

Re: Colored debian forum account

Postby Pick2 » 2010-06-03 13:06

At the bottom of our Main Page is a legend:
Administrators, Global moderators
User avatar
Pick2
 
Posts: 797
Joined: 2007-07-07 13:31
Location: Decatur Il

Re: Colored debian forum account

Postby Telemachus » 2010-06-03 13:38

cola wrote:Some accounts in this forum are colored green and red.
They are moderators?
Why?
How is it done?

The previous poster answered "Why?" As for "How is it done?", the answer is the magic of CSS, I imagine. Theoretically, you could just check the source in a browser window, but PHPBB may have some gnarly code. I'll check myself and report back shortly...

Edit: Yup, in the HTML around my name, you'll find this (among other stuff):
Code: Select all
style="color: #00AA00;" class="username-coloured"
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
User avatar
Telemachus
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: 2006-12-25 15:53

Re: Colored debian forum account

Postby dbbolton » 2010-06-04 09:27

Personally, I find it pretty appalling that this forum is still segregated.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF

Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.
User avatar
dbbolton
 
Posts: 2133
Joined: 2007-06-20 08:17
Location: Iapetus

Re: Colored debian forum account

Postby Telemachus » 2010-06-04 12:39

dbbolton wrote:Personally, I find it pretty appalling that this forum is still segregated.

And British, to judge by the spelling at least.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
User avatar
Telemachus
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: 2006-12-25 15:53

Re: Colored debian forum account

Postby jheaton5 » 2010-06-04 14:28

I don't find color coding related to a user's extended function on the board to be offensive at all. It seems to me that it is helpful to know if someone is an administrator or a moderator. IMO.
debian sid
User avatar
jheaton5
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: 2008-08-20 01:40
Location: Newnan, GA, USA

Re: Colored debian forum account

Postby refracta » 2010-06-04 16:43

I am personally offended by an account name having color when I cannot choose my own color nor can I block colors I do not want to see. I demand a forum change and everyone to be the same color or we all get to pick a color. This unfairness has to stop!
refracta
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: 2008-10-26 01:46

Re: Colored debian forum account

Postby jheaton5 » 2010-06-04 16:48

refracta wrote:I am personally offended by an account name having color when I cannot choose my own color nor can I block colors I do not want to see. I demand a forum change and everyone to be the same color or we all get to pick a color. This unfairness has to stop!

You have your own color. It's black.
debian sid
User avatar
jheaton5
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: 2008-08-20 01:40
Location: Newnan, GA, USA

Re: Colored debian forum account

Postby dbbolton » 2010-06-04 21:03

jheaton5 wrote:You have your own color. It's black.

Ok, that crosses the line.

Well, the intended joke was that there were different types of accounts based on the color of something other than names (I'm pretty sure that is not true). Last night there was a colored man in my kitchen. What color was he? Blue.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos ... 00-167.gif
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF

Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.
User avatar
dbbolton
 
Posts: 2133
Joined: 2007-06-20 08:17
Location: Iapetus

Re: Colored debian forum account

Postby jheaton5 » 2010-06-05 00:49

dbbolton wrote:
jheaton5 wrote:You have your own color. It's black.

Ok, that crosses the line.

Well, the intended joke was that there were different types of accounts based on the color of something other than names (I'm pretty sure that is not true). Last night there was a colored man in my kitchen. What color was he? Blue.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos ... 00-167.gif


:?:
debian sid
User avatar
jheaton5
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: 2008-08-20 01:40
Location: Newnan, GA, USA


Return to Forum stuff & feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

fashionable