Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

personal information

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Labman
Location: Near the bottom of the learning curve somewhere in Northern USA

personal information

#1 Post by Labman »

I have been caused some problems on another forum because somebody managed to get personal information I gave when I registered. I feel the administrator gave it to a trouble maker. I expect administrators not to give out the identification they collect when you register without good cause. Is there anything I can do?
Debian stable, Athlon 3500+, PCChips board with Nvida Gforce chip, 1 gig RAM

Korrode

Re: personal information

#2 Post by Korrode »

Have you contacted the administrators of said forum and asked them about it?

Absent Minded

#3 Post by Absent Minded »

Labman wrote:I have been caused some problems on another forum because somebody managed to get personal information I gave when I registered. I feel the administrator gave it to a trouble maker. I expect administrators not to give out the identification they collect when you register without good cause. Is there anything I can do?
This likely will depend on what was in the use agreement of that forum. I know that this forum provides our users with certian rights in our use agreement and the only information that is publicly availible is what you choose to put into your public profile or post to our forum. Not all forums are the same though. Read your agreement, contact an administrator of that forum and then if you can't come to an understanding of some kind, find out if the forum resides someplace that has enforcable laws that are there to protect you. Barring someone being able to hack into the system, much of what you can do will be limited by what ever agreement you agreed to.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Labman
Location: Near the bottom of the learning curve somewhere in Northern USA

#4 Post by Labman »

The administrator is an idiot. I have contacted her and she blew me off. I think she is the problem.
Debian stable, Athlon 3500+, PCChips board with Nvida Gforce chip, 1 gig RAM

Telemachus

#5 Post by Telemachus »

Labman wrote:The administrator is an idiot. I have contacted her and she blew me off. I think she is the problem.
Let me please stop you right there. Please don't go on about the other forum or your situation there. Whatever you post here should be relevant to this forum. (I'm also moving this thread to "Forum stuff & feedback" where I think it fits better.)
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System