Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

the forum backup

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
nadir

the forum backup

#1 Post by nadir »

I will keep it short:
The forum has been down for two times (in my lifespan as a user).
Is it backed-up?

If the forum is down i am pretty lost (not completely, but all goes very fast here (forums.debian.net): click, click and i got my how-to/info/whatever. Its even faster than searching for it on my hard-disk)
I got about 100GB free ( i got them free as of now, and i will have got them free in the future). No idea if that is much or just a bit.
I plaid a bit with wget, but for no good.

Besides all the info i need the links.

Is the question clear?
(i'm asking for a no-brainer to save as much as possible on 50-100GB from here. A no-brainer: i'm not talking of kind of a project/work/etc. Just a simple cmd. If the backup-strategy of the forum is rock-solid all is cool)
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Telemachus

Re: the forum backup

#2 Post by Telemachus »

wget has an option to completely mirror a site (wget --mirror http://sitename.foo), but in a case like this, you have bigger issues than getting all the files. This site relies on PHP and most of the data is in a database (probably Mysql, but I don't know the details of the backend), not just static HTML. That means for it to function properly on your hard drive, I think you would have to set up a LAMP stack there. Beyond that, you would need a dump of this site's database, and I don't think you're going to get that.

In case this isn't clear to anyone, a static website is made up of largely fixed HTML files. All the words, links, images, etc. that you see on the site are actually in those HTML files. (All websites used to be like this.) But forums, many blogs and almost all web applications are dynamic. In this case, that means that the actual words, links, etc. are not in the HTML files (or .php files or .jsp or .erb). The data is in a database of some kind, and each time that somebody clicks to view a page, the program in the files pulls data from the database and displays it. So it's essentially impossible to mirror such a site (I think), unless you are the admin and have access to the database.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

nadir

#3 Post by nadir »

So it's essentially impossible to mirror such a site (I think), unless you are the admin and have access to the database.
ok.
How do i become the admin of this site?
:lol:

Kidding aside:
hunting down all the how-to's and threads i like is a lot of work (if i do it one by one) I tried to do it, but it would become a "project" (aka work) to keep track of it.
I have to figure out something.

PS:
No, nothing of that was clear to me.

Telemachus

#4 Post by Telemachus »

nadir wrote:PS:
Even in the second version? Damn.

I now use a bookmark service to keep track of all my favorite HOWTOs and other online things. Delicious is free, but you have to become a Yahoo user. I did it for a bit but switched to Pinboard. I love Pinboard, but it does cost (about $7.00 for a lifetime membership, at the moment).
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

nadir

#5 Post by nadir »

You wrote:
In case this isn't clear to anyone,...
I wrote:
long version:
After you posted i have realized that a web-site/forum is completely different "made" than i have assumed.
I will check for delicious (if i find the time: so probably not so soon :-)). Already got an yahoo-account, so i might check if i find it. I'm not that keen to put much work in it... and was hoping for "a canon-shot on a sparrow" ("mit Kanonen auf Spatzen schiessen)". To get it all in a row, so to speak.