Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Discussion of non-Debian OS's in the forums

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
julian67

Re: Discussion of non-Debian OS's in the forums

#21 Post by julian67 »

burn the unbeliever.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

debil

#22 Post by debil »

Me 'umble opinion: Move the guilty thread to Offtopic. Let people either help, ignore or scold. If it gets out of hand, lock it. "Other OS's" section is better off habiting /dev/null.
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#23 Post by 4D696B65 »

debil wrote: "Other OS's" section is better off habiting /dev/null.
+1

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#24 Post by mzilikazi »

I think we can continue to move those threads to offtopic but also perhaps change the guidelines to at least mention our policy on other OS's. This way there is nothing to argue since it was agreed to when said user signed up. What isn't addressed is the fact that Ubuntu is not Debian and I wouldn't care to see improper advice given without due warning.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

Absent Minded

#25 Post by Absent Minded »

mzilikazi wrote:I think we can continue to move those threads to offtopic but also perhaps change the guidelines to at least mention our policy on other OS's. This way there is nothing to argue since it was agreed to when said user signed up. What isn't addressed is the fact that Ubuntu is not Debian and I wouldn't care to see improper advice given without due warning.
This sounds reasonable to me. I am not sure what to do about those that think Ubuntu, Crunchbang, Mint, Sidux, etc. are Debian though. Maybe we could give an "(ie...)" in the guidelines as to what is not Debian. Of course, this still doesn't make them read the guidelines but it does give better footing for members and staff alike.

My main concern was that I needed to be clear on our position so I can properly handle threads of this nature (ie. I didn't want to be telling people that it is okay to ask questions about other distros in offtopic if we in fact have a poloicy against it).
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012