Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Discussion of non-Debian OS's in the forums

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Discussion of non-Debian OS's in the forums

#1 Post by mzilikazi »

From another thread specifically addressing Ubuntu support on Debian forums:
Absent Minded wrote:Is this now our policy on helping ones with questions not Debian related? I just want to be clear on this as I had thought previously that questions and discussions of other things besides Debian were okay as long as they were placed in offtopic and at least involved computers (which is why I moved the thread). If this is policy (and even I missed it) I think we should make a formal announcment and have it added to our guidelines.
I don't know of any reason Ubuntu, Windows, BEOS, Solaris, BSD and any other OS questions could not go into Offtopic. Kink wrote about it in the Offtopic sticky:

Code: Select all

Please take note that the Debian User Forums' primary goal is for users to exchange information about Debian. We've got an Offtopic section, but please limit yourself to subjects that are at least remotely, vaguely related to Debian. That is:

Topics should at least touch on subjects related to computing or technology.
Certainly Ubuntu fits into that category as do all other OS's. The issue is (and this issue applies specifically to Ubuntu) is that all too often it is assumed Debian = Ubuntu which is of course very far from the truth. While I have seen a thread or 2 requesting help on Windows they are rare. I don't think anyone will know to read the sticky in Offtopic prior to posting an Ubuntu related question. This would likely mean more effort on the part of the moderators making sure all topics are posted in the right place. Do we need to update the guidelines? Maybe. I never thought 5 sticky threads at the top of each sub-forum was the best policy.

More opinions would be welcome (not that anyone here has any of those) ;)
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

Absent Minded

Re: Discussion of non-Debian OS's in the forums

#2 Post by Absent Minded »

Speaking for myself, I do currently move threads such as Ubuntu questions to offtopic. I do however get tired of having to explain Why. And some even attempt to argue with me as to the validity of my reasoning. Mint, Sidux and Ubuntu are the main non-Debian questions I see and move on a regular basis. Although I have not moved a thread or two that started out as Debian questions that had moved on into how Windows needs to be configured to interact with Debian. Just as a note, it was regulars here asking about Windows in their original Debian thread.

As you have said (and I agree) having a bunch of "stickies" a top each section doesn't seem to do allot of good as it seems many even ignore the users agreement and just hit the accept button when creating an account here. So, I am not sure just how to get the rules/guidelines and stickies somewhere that they will actually read them.

Although it occurs to me that one "might" read a title of a sticky or two if there are not too many of them ahead of it.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

smallchange

#3 Post by smallchange »

Read the rules? We don't read no stinkin' rules!! :)

I don't think you will find a way to get new users to read the rules. Really there are not too many of these questions and they are really only a little irritating. They only stay alive if someone here tears into them, and that is sometimes interesting. In short I don't think you can make the situation any better than it is.

julian67

#4 Post by julian67 »

I've noticed plenty of these posts. I think they belong in off topic and that usually some people will offer help. If someone wants to argue that Debian is the same as distro X and that therefore they demand support blah blah blah maybe just repeat that Debian isn't Distro X and lock the thread?
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

TobiSGD

#5 Post by TobiSGD »

My personal opinion: I think that the average Debian-User is more competent in using Linux than those users from distros derived from Debian, like Ubuntu or Mint. If someone comes with a question about Ubuntu or Mint, that the people in their forums could not give an answer, but people in this forum can, why should we deny the answer. These questions should of course be discussed in offtopic because thy are not really related to Debian.

vrkalak

#6 Post by vrkalak »

Agreed . . . I think 'we' should try to help and answer questions about other (Debian-derivative) Operating Systems if we can. Even some non-Debian based OS ... like Arch.

Some Debian members use or dual-boot with another system.

But, it should be in the OffTopic Section of the Forum ... or make another section for Debian-based OS (derivatives) :idea:

I use Debian (Sid) exclusively, but, I started with other Debian-based OS' (Ubuntu/Mint/Crunchbang)... so, I am a bit knowledgeable about them. Even, if I don't use that system anymore.

Absent Minded

#7 Post by Absent Minded »

vrkalak wrote:Agreed . . . I think 'we' should try to help and answer questions about other (Debian-derivative) Operating Systems if we can. Even some non-Debian based OS ... like Arch.

Some Debian members use or dual-boot with another system.

But, it should be in the OffTopic Section of the Forum ... or make another section for Debian-based OS (derivatives) :idea:

I use Debian (Sid) exclusively, but, I started with other Debian-based OS' (Ubuntu/Mint/Crunchbang)... so, I am a bit knowledgeable about them. Even, if I don't use that system anymore.
I don't feel that members should be obligated to help. There are "some" that don't mind helping the occational question on other distros, I think this is fine. This however IS a Debian forum and that should be the primary focus. I have no desire to turn this forum into an Ubuntu free for all (or any other distro for that matter). I can however understand someone that has tried to get help elsewhere and come up empty handed and turns to a place known to have knowledgeable members as a last resort. We maybe called arrogant elitest here on this forum but it is also known that we have some of the most knowledgeable members of any Linux forum.

I do however feel that somehow we need to make it clear to those that post regarding other Linux distros that it should not ever be in our main support subforums. Ubuntu and Sidux users seem to be the worst for this and can't seem to tell there is a differance. Maybe it is because their distros tout "based on Debian" so they seem to think it means the same thing. It doesn't seem to matter to them that our forum and subforums (except offtopic) are marked specifically for Debian questions or discussion.

Edit: fixed some wording to make things more clear.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

jheaton5

#8 Post by jheaton5 »

Lately, we have had several threads started by people coming from other distros and criticizing either debian itself or the forums in general. I don't mind assisting someone genuinely seeking knowledge, but I can't abide someone coming here specifically to criticize. I don't want to know "how we do it in ubuntu." People who come here for advice will receive it the debian way and should expect that.
debian sid

nadir

#9 Post by nadir »

jheaton5 wrote:Lately, we have had several threads started by people coming from other distros and criticizing either debian itself or the forums in general. I don't mind assisting someone genuinely seeking knowledge, but I can't abide someone coming here specifically to criticize. I don't want to know "how we do it in ubuntu." People who come here for advice will receive it the debian way and should expect that.
I'm with jheaton here. Both he said.
[ a) threads like "ubuntu does this and that, debian doesn't work" are annoying. b) If someone asks something he gets an answer, as long i know].

I don't care much where a thread is, in off-topic or general or wherever. Being flooded with threads is not our main problem, is it?

The threads are getting moved around already, so i don't know what the discussion might be good for at all. Cosmetics?
We had discussions of that kind and finally it was decided by whoever, but not by the result of the thread.
Made me feel pretty much like being an idiot that i did post at all.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Absent Minded

#10 Post by Absent Minded »

Yes, the threads get moved when I find them as is put forth in our guidelines. I can't say as all other staff do, I have seen mods and admin post to those threads and leave them where they found them. Maybe I need someone to clarify Lavene's words:

From item #7
However, try to limit the off topic discussions to the off topic category. Long off topic discussions in other categories might get moved or locked.
And from item #10
Moderators might move your thread to a more suitable category (for instance from 'General Discussion' to 'General Questions'). This is no cause for alarm and a shadow topic, linked directly to the new location, will always be left at the original location.
I highlighted an area as I have been told leaving a link in the original location is not understood by a few, just fallowing the rules I am given.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Absent Minded

#11 Post by Absent Minded »

nadir wrote:The threads are getting moved around already, so i don't know what the discussion might be good for at all. Cosmetics?
We had discussions of that kind and finally it was decided by whoever, but not by the result of the thread.
Made me feel pretty much like being an idiot that i did post at all.
Sorry you felt like an idiot, how ever your voice was heard as well as many others.

The mystery behind the "beginners section" is simply as fallows:
I had a few people ask me about one being created.
I asked for input from others here.

After seeing that many here thought it was a good idea I brought it up to the management in this manner:

I said something close to this:
I have been asked by a few members about having a section for people new to Debian. What do you think of the idea?
The responce I recieved was close to this:
Sounds like a good idea I will set it up tonight. By the way, you will be responcible for taking care of it.
I said something like:
Sounds great and I would be honored to hold that capasity.
That was how the beginners section started.

Edit:
Mind you my memory is a bit faulty but that is as close to things as I can remember them being. Seems there was also another thread started by the same admin I talked with dealing with the idea. I am sure there was more to the conversation but things were pretty much that simple.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

nadir

#12 Post by nadir »

Somehow i remember it to having been that way too.
I just reread the last 3 pages and, well, how to put it, ergh...it stopped a bit suddenly. But that is a dead horse.
And the beginners sections seems to serve its purpose, as far i see.

Don't worry, feeling like an idiot is ok for me. Thats not kidding, though the expression is a bit harsh.

But the rules are already like what we are supposed to discuss here, and that is a bit odd.
I'm not much a friend of rules, like i already said. So: more rules is always bad. Less rules is always better.
Somehow.

greetings :-)

PS: a joke:
They move my threads around like mad-dogs at another forum, and i go pretty nut by it :lol: Huh? What? Where? Why? :lol:
Now they got a new strategy and ... ignore me.

julian67

#13 Post by julian67 »

Absent Minded wrote:
And from item #10
Moderators might move your thread to a more suitable category (for instance from 'General Discussion' to 'General Questions'). This is no cause for alarm and a shadow topic, linked directly to the new location, will always be left at the original location.
I highlighted an area as I have been told leaving a link in the original location is not understood by a few, just fallowing the rules I am given.
That method makes sense. It's how every sane board operates. It costs nothing while it saves trouble and misunderstanding and maybe even encourages someone to think about making their next contribution in the right place. Anything is better than the Behold My Awesome Power Lazy Ass Bermuda Triangle Method.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

jheaton5

#14 Post by jheaton5 »

nadir wrote:Somehow i remember it to having been that way too.
I just reread the last 3 pages and, well, how to put it, ergh...it stopped a bit suddenly. But that is a dead horse.
And the beginners sections seems to serve its purpose, as far i see.

Don't worry, feeling like an idiot is ok for me. Thats not kidding, though the expression is a bit harsh.

But the rules are already like what we are supposed to discuss here, and that is a bit odd.
I'm not much a friend of rules, like i already said. So: more rules is always bad. Less rules is always better.
Somehow.

greetings :-)

PS: a joke:
They move my threads around like mad-dogs at another forum, and i go pretty nut by it :lol: Huh? What? Where? Why? :lol:
Now they got a new strategy and ... ignore me.
It's never too late to beat a dead horse (Socrates)
debian sid

Telemachus

#15 Post by Telemachus »

Slightly tangential, but if we really want to push this, we could post a sticky somewhere (general announcements?) inviting users to flag posts that are off-topic. The reason I mention this is I don't check every new post, and I suspect I miss a lot of these. There's already an option "This post is off topic" in the choices you see when you report a post, so it's no extra work to use this If people begin to flag them (as they do spam), then I would be more than happy to move threads or posts into off-topic.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

MALsPa

#16 Post by MALsPa »

Moving threads related to other operating systems to Offtopic is fine and should be no big deal.

Too bad there isn't a section for "Other Linux Distributions" or "Other Operationg Systems." Or a section for each of those.

The description under "Offtopic" says, "If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here." Some folks might think, "Well, my question is about Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is Debian-based, so my question relates to Debian and it doesn't belong in 'Offtopic.' "

The description under "Beginner's Questions" says, "New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!" That might invite non-Debian questions in that section.

MeanDean

#17 Post by MeanDean »

Maybe those that wish to help others with sudux, ubutnut, crashbang should go be a member of those communities and contribute positively to them..Especially the forums since some users are unable to receive good support ergo they feel a need to come here for it.

just a thought....

The other option is to allow this forum to become a dumping ground. A place with so many posts it is aggravating just trying to look through them to help someone. Then the forum can be known as the place where you often do not get an answer and/or your new post is buried so quickly that nobody sees it.

It should do miracles for the boards capacity to provide a knowledge pool. I can't wait for someone to google about XYZ and find a thread that has little to nothing to do with debian but since it is on the debian forum it must work okay. So they try it and the next thing you know debian sucks because it is so easy to break. All they did was install rpm and use it to install some gtk stuff from rpmfind.net just like the thread talked about at the debian forums.

Here lately it seems a lot of posts are ubutnut spammy flavored. I actually wonder if it isn't a prank to rile up the debian folk. I think a bunch of distro hoppers have finally discovered debian and think we want them to compare it to every other distro out there and provide feedback. It might be okay if they could compare something besides 'flash works' and 'it has a pretty splash screen' and 'how come my piece of crap hardware isn't working'

well....you knew I had to say something.... :wink:

I still recall one of my very first visits to this forum....maybe my first.... A thread was posted asking for help with another distro. I remember thinking wtf, why would anyone do that. The thread was quickly locked. I do recall discussion of other distros being allowed though.

jheaton5

#18 Post by jheaton5 »

MeanDean wrote:Here lately it seems a lot of posts are ubutnut spammy flavored. I actually wonder if it isn't a prank to rile up the debian folk. I think a bunch of distro hoppers have finally discovered debian and think we want them to compare it to every other distro out there and provide feedback. It might be okay if they could compare something besides 'flash works' and 'it has a pretty splash screen' and 'how come my piece of crap hardware isn't working'

well....you knew I had to say something.... :wink:
You really did good until right there at the end.

I agree with you. The quality of the debian forums and the quality of debian is no accident. This quality had to be built in and cultivated to be where it/we are today. I don't want this forum to become like the ubuntu forums where newbies are helping newbies providing reckless, dangerous and simply wrong solutions. I'm for minimizing the amount of other distro discussion here. After all, I would never go to the ubuntu forums to find an answer to a debian issue. Let these folks go to their own distro's forum.
debian sid

nadir

#19 Post by nadir »

ok , now that that is clear: can we go on with Socrates and the horse?
As long that is possible i am happy.

:D

smallchange

#20 Post by smallchange »

I don't particularly like having people ask questions about other distros but I like the idea of more rules even less. The rules already exist and people ignore them and post anyway. So now what can be done about it? Maybe you can create a rule that anyone who responds to a post about another distro gets banished?

In case there is any doubt that is sarcasm. It is a really terrible idea, like most rules.