Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it possible to have a dedicated thread?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
sossego

Is it possible to have a dedicated thread?

#1 Post by sossego »

It was suggested on the Debian-ppc list about having a site dedicated to seeing the machine architecture and kernel at a site. Would it be easier or a thread to be here for such a purpose?
1) It is Debian centric.
2) More than a few users have or are interested in the PowerPC architecture.
3) It would be, in a sense, giving back to the project.
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.

JohnDeere630

Re: Is it possible to have a dedicated thread?

#2 Post by JohnDeere630 »

I don't own a mac of any variety, so its of of little import to me personally, but since Debian does support ppc, and there are a fair number of ppc related questions here, so in the interest of tidying up the place, it would be logical to group all ppc related stuff in one place. Of course, I don't run things here, so my opinion and $1.25 will get you a cup of coffee. So, for what it's worth, I agree with you.

Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

#3 Post by Mez »

What kind of coffee can you buy for $1.27? Is that pre or post tax?

To answer the original poster, We'd be happy to set up a PPC specific forum in here, however, it'd be nice to see some backing for it first :) For those you know are interested, get them to come post in here and let us know!

JohnDeere630

#4 Post by JohnDeere630 »

Mez wrote:What kind of coffee can you buy for $1.27? Is that pre or post tax?
Wow! You think my opinion is worth 2 cents? Not even my wife rates my opinion as being so valuable. I'm flattered :oops: :D To answer; a: very bad coffee, b; pre-tax :lol:

As to the topic at hand, instead of a dedicated ppc section, maybe just a section for all architectures other than i386 and amd64. I seem to recall a few SPARC and ia64 threads in the past. Heck, I'd even volunteer to search out and move the old relevant threads into the new section...Oh crap, did I just say that out loud? :shock:

Bro.Tiag

#5 Post by Bro.Tiag »

As with so many good ideas, there is a need, a suitable response and then it seems that the interest wanes. IMO, the lack of interest comes from the efficiency of the help in said "suitable response". Ergo, I say a PowerPC/Mac debian would be a good idea, if all the existing information were to be sorted out and moved to any new dedicated thread.

zioMattia

#6 Post by zioMattia »

Yes, i find it too a good idea!!! And if possible with a section with Macs kernel config files for each machine. What about it? :P
---
----------------------------------

Home Page : http://sites.google.com/site/homepagedimattiatristo/

Linux USer : 523480 (http://counter.li.org/)

Sprazzi di luce : http://sprazzidiluce.org

jollysnowman

#7 Post by jollysnowman »

I'd be up for a PowerPC thread, or better yet, an "Other Architectures" forum. There are many issues that are PPC specific, and sometimes people who are trying to help don't know that. Additionally, a forum dedicated to non-i386 and amd64 processors would include the people putting debian on their phones and such (ARM).

sossego

#8 Post by sossego »

Bro.Tiag wrote:As with so many good ideas, there is a need, a suitable response and then it seems that the interest wanes. IMO, the lack of interest comes from the efficiency of the help in said "suitable response". Ergo, I say a PowerPC/Mac debian would be a good idea, if all the existing information were to be sorted out and moved to any new dedicated thread.
This could be accomplished by moving the threads and creating a link from the old locations.

sossego

#9 Post by sossego »

Apologies for thread bumping.
I'm assuming that the answer is "No." because of the lack of interest in the topic.

zioMattia

#10 Post by zioMattia »

Maybe including PowerPC in the title of the thread may help, so why not a new thread? :D
A new thread asking for more space in the forum for PPC users with config file for each machines. Thanks :idea:
---
----------------------------------

Home Page : http://sites.google.com/site/homepagedimattiatristo/

Linux USer : 523480 (http://counter.li.org/)

Sprazzi di luce : http://sprazzidiluce.org