AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby traveler » 2011-01-22 15:15

LostYourMindHaveYou wrote:OK thanks to everyone who replied - JohnDeere630 for your (not funny this time around, ok maybe just a little) name-calling, SoulSingin' for the video link (although I would've preferred a Black Crowes song coming from you), and traveler the only one who doesn't seem to be biased at all.

I'm not trying to fool anyone and I have no idea someone's character is at stake on Teh Internets...I just want to uh...I just want to...POST! That's all folks.

Bye for now. Cheers! :lol:

If I had to pick sides, I'd go with AM for three reasons.
1- Even though the post didn't offend me personally, everyone was warned and you did it anyway to test the waters.
2- You got a light punishment, yet came back on a new account, probably using a proxy, to fight about it.
3- Although I don't always agree with all of his decisions (usually regarding image content), I have never seen him act in a spiteful manner. He's always been pretty fair and acts with what he feels is in the best interest of the forum. There's no power trip banhammer attitude there.

My advice would be to not post any more on your new account and ride out your punishment.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
User avatar
traveler
 
Posts: 942
Joined: 2010-06-09 22:07

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby nadir » 2011-01-22 15:19

arbitrary decisions.
I wrote a complaint, via email to where i was asked to team@forums.debian.net
Already yesterday.
Not that i would think it would help. Just to give a hint about what i feel about the forum.
Best might be to start simply removing/banning/whatever without any further whining.

I checked the pic. ridiculous.
really. We are not living in the 50's.

All i gotta say.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
User avatar
nadir
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: 2009-10-05 22:06
Location: away

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby mojoman » 2011-01-22 17:48

Aw, come on, this is hardly porn. I'd say that's stretching the definition pretty thin and far. Basically, you'd have to equate nudity with pornography and let's be clear, those are not equivalent. I had to look twice to see that it wasn't a really tight shirt but actually body paint. I know that pictures containing at least as much nudity has been posted in various screenshoots and I bet lots of those that are more erotic in nature too. The one linked to in this thread is one example. (At least this one had tux in it. Two, actually.) Getting banned a week isn't the end of the world but I don't agree that this is porn.
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.
User avatar
mojoman
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 2006-10-15 18:43

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby JohnDeere630 » 2011-01-22 18:17

I think most people here recognize the difference between nudity and porn, and I also realize that for folks from other countries, like France, for instance, would not find that pic remarkable in any way. However, I think most would agree that the theme of this forum is technical. It is really no place for nude pics, or porn, or bomb-making, nor parenting, nor cooking tips...etc., etc.

Also, what a lot of people seem not to notice is, this forum is NOT a democracy, but technically an oligarchy. The owner(s) select the governing body arbitrarily. The regular users don't have to agree with the mods, nor the power structure, nor do we have any direct say. Anyone who objects to these self-evident facts has essentially 4 choices: Leave, accept the rules, petition the owner(s) to become a moderator, or attempt to privately convince a moderator that he/she made a bad call, realizing that said moderator does NOT owe petitioner even an answer, much less agreement. What does NOT help is to open a thread to attempt to bully a moderator into changing his mind about a decision which: A. was his decision to make, with no apology or explanation needed, and B. many of us, even though we do not personally find the picture offensive, nevertheless do not feel that this forum is the correct place for such material.
JohnDeere630
 
Posts: 637
Joined: 2006-09-02 02:01

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby nadir » 2011-01-22 21:23

JohnDeere630 wrote:I think most people here recognize the difference between nudity and porn, and I also realize that for folks from other countries, like France, for instance, would not find that pic remarkable in any way. However, I think most would agree that the theme of this forum is technical. It is really no place for nude pics, or porn, or bomb-making, nor parenting, nor cooking tips...etc., etc.

Also, what a lot of people seem not to notice is, this forum is NOT a democracy, but technically an oligarchy. The owner(s) select the governing body arbitrarily. The regular users don't have to agree with the mods, nor the power structure, nor do we have any direct say. Anyone who objects to these self-evident facts has essentially 4 choices: Leave, accept the rules, petition the owner(s) to become a moderator, or attempt to privately convince a moderator that he/she made a bad call, realizing that said moderator does NOT owe petitioner even an answer, much less agreement. What does NOT help is to open a thread to attempt to bully a moderator into changing his mind about a decision which: A. was his decision to make, with no apology or explanation needed, and B. many of us, even though we do not personally find the picture offensive, nevertheless do not feel that this forum is the correct place for such material.

You are completely right.
There is not much one can say about it.

I don't think you got an idea how sad that is in my eyes.
I hope no one will ever tell me about linux or freedom or dreams ever again
("who owns linux? you do!" A bad joke, right?)
Just another part of the world the way it is.
Better to awake late then never, picking choice no 2.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
User avatar
nadir
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: 2009-10-05 22:06
Location: away

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby JohnDeere630 » 2011-01-22 22:26

nadir wrote:
I don't think you got an idea how sad that is in my eyes.
I hope no one will ever tell me about linux or freedom or dreams ever again
("who owns linux? you do!" A bad joke, right?)
Just another part of the world the way it is.
Better to awake late then never, picking choice no 2.


No need to be sad... :( No one "owns" linux, you know that, but someone does own this forum, and as such, they get to make the rules. Fair enough, right? Any of us could start our own forum & then make our own rules. I like using this forum because, barring a few idiots here and there, it is essentially a vast collective of information pertaining to Debian. Oh, and not to knot up anyone's panties, :mrgreen: but Debian itself is an oligarchy, right? :lol:

When you get right down to brass tacks, freedom is never an absolute, but rather a relative term....
JohnDeere630
 
Posts: 637
Joined: 2006-09-02 02:01

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby Soul Singin' » 2011-01-22 22:32

OK. Let's turn to the real question of interest in this thread:

    Has this guy been permanently banned yet?

If not, then what are the moderators waiting for?
.
User avatar
Soul Singin'
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 2008-12-21 07:02

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby julian67 » 2011-01-23 00:31

I was confused about who started this thread, who got banned, who got unbanned, who can post, who can't post, what I might be able to say, what I might not be able to say, why that might be, who gives a shit, and some other stuff too. But I checked with my mother, some ex girlfriends, my sister who has two small children (thirsty little feckers as far as I can tell) and my stepmother; they all confirmed that I'm not mistaken and that they all do have similar equipment. I had half suspected that my little nieces weren't doing all that sucking simply to avoid engaging in sensible adult conversation about cars and mortgages. Disclaimer: I grew up on a farm and I've seen enough copulation and suckling that the image or thought of a pair of tits doesn't totally do it for me (Ok I did have the odd favourite amongst the pigs and the sheep but that is like sooo private that I never even mentioned it). Try to remember how we all got here, how we survive and how we persist. We've all sucked them, and half of us even have their own. I appreciate that expressions of sexuality are not always appropriate but is that picture really so offensive? Is it even that sexual? I noticed in the "banning" thread stuff like
Pictures depicting sexual organs
and
To be clear here, what I removed was an animated pic of human sexual organs. However, even if it had been of some other animal I likely would have removed that as well.
Here's the big news: breasts are not sexual organs! They are breasts! The sexual organs of the human female are a couple of feet south of the breasts. The vagina and the clitoris, now they are sexual organs. You don't want your newborn suckling on those, it will all end badly. It seems appropriate at this point to remind our fundamentalist bible/koran bashing friends that mere possession of a vagina or even (god forbid!) a clitoris does not in itself constitute a deficiency or a crime! Holy damnation and hellfire you learn something every day round here.

OK I realise all breasts are not equal and that intent and context matter. But really if that pic of the body painted woman is a hanging offense then I'm amazed. Someone is doing a little lighthearted attention seeking and that's about it.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
User avatar
julian67
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: 2007-04-06 14:39
Location: Just hanging around

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby LostYourMindHaveYou » 2011-01-23 01:04

I say let's perma-ban this guy. Show him who the Linux boss is - the DEBIAN WAY. All birds agree? Primates with opposable thumbs have no say in this matter.
LostYourMindHaveYou
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2011-01-21 23:25

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby JohnDeere630 » 2011-01-23 01:22

Maybe I'm totally missing the point (& that wouldn't be the first time! :shock: ) but I think when one cuts through all the drama, posturing, and hysteria, the real issues are not about whether breasts are sex organs or offensive (they are not the former, and certainly not to me, the latter :mrgreen: ) but about whether the moderators should have the right to, uh, well, moderate, I guess. Also to a lesser extent, whether such content as dog turds or nude pictures are appropriate on a tech forum, ostensibly dedicated to Debian, Linux, and computers, in that order; that may freely be used by any person, male or female, of any age, race, religion or sexual orientation.

Understand, I was also raised on a farm and also saw my fair share of coupling and suckling, some, but not all of which was committed by the livestock :shock: :lol: and, I personally am not offended by dog turds or breasts or sex organs, nor much else, to be honest; and were it up to me, I'd post a disclaimer, and welcome screenshots of turds, tits, and tushies. But, and here is a critical point....It is not up to me. The rules here are clearly posted by the owner(s), and the inference is made that these rules will be enforced, for right or wrong, by the moderators appointed by said owner(s)! Not a difficult concept, but being just an ignorant farmer, maybe I am the one who misses the point....
JohnDeere630
 
Posts: 637
Joined: 2006-09-02 02:01

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby julian67 » 2011-01-23 01:35

JD, Buttercup told me she gets more fun of the electric fence and Daisy said she does too. That's bovines for you, no appreciation and no discretion too. Put that in your glass of milk and drink it.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
User avatar
julian67
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: 2007-04-06 14:39
Location: Just hanging around

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby JohnDeere630 » 2011-01-23 01:41

julian67 wrote:JD, Buttercup told me she gets more fun of the electric fence and Daisy said she does too. That's bovines for you, no appreciation and no discretion too. Put that in your glass of milk and drink it.

:lol: :lol: How did you know the names of my two favorite heifers? Dammit, were you were the one sneaking into my pasture? :shock: :lol:
JohnDeere630
 
Posts: 637
Joined: 2006-09-02 02:01

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby traveler » 2011-01-23 01:46

I also recall a time being chastised (indirectly) for making a locat bible reference as a joke. Something along the lines of religion having no place on a technical forum. IIRC, that was also when you changed your avatar and sig to include the holy lolcat scripture. I only mention it because it drives home the point that many (most?) of us- including you, have a bit of a "screw you" attitude which may have contributed to our choice to use Linux in the first place. Rebellious people just don't like being told what to do. Is there a Captain Obvious Award here?
Thank Ceiling Cat I don't have to try to keep this place in line.

OTOH, if I got a week off for pushing the boundaries, I'd just find something else to do. I'm tempted to post some dog turds because a touchpad issue has me stumped right now.
:wink:
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
User avatar
traveler
 
Posts: 942
Joined: 2010-06-09 22:07

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby nadir » 2011-01-23 01:50

say what you want, but JohnDeere is right:
You agree that “Debian User Forums” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

Not sure what all the other rules are good for. That one would make it all nice and easy for everyone.
(ok, it sounds a bit odd if there is nothing else... as if one would have missed the last few hundred years. Hence people tend to put it somewhere between some nicer stuff. Say what you want: it is way more easy then all the rest of the rules).

if this thread will not stop i will start with a rant about Stirner...
y`all know how it looks like if i get in my mood... be warned.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
User avatar
nadir
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: 2009-10-05 22:06
Location: away

Re: AbsentMinded and his banhammer powers

Postby JohnDeere630 » 2011-01-23 01:53

traveler wrote:I also recall a time being chastised (indirectly) for making a locat bible reference as a joke. Something along the lines of religion having no place on a technical forum. IIRC, that was also when you changed your avatar and sig to include the holy lolcat scripture. I only mention it because it drives home the point that many (most?) of us- including you, have a bit of a "screw you" attitude which may have contributed to our choice to use Linux in the first place. Rebellious people just don't like being told what to do. Is there a Captain Obvious Award here?
Thank Ceiling Cat I don't have to try to keep this place in line.

OTOH, if I got a week off for pushing the boundaries, I'd just find something else to do. I'm tempted to post some dog turds because a touchpad issue has me stumped right now.
:wink:

Touche.. :oops: I hadn't really thought of lolcat bible as being serious religious content. I love cats & just think the bible stories from a housecat's perspective are hilarious. Nevertheless, if asked to change it, I wouldn't exude a piss-mist over it, I'd just change it...no prob.

Besides, Genesis is pretty non-sectarian, isn't it? :D
JohnDeere630
 
Posts: 637
Joined: 2006-09-02 02:01

PreviousNext

Return to Forum stuff & feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

fashionable