images in signatures

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

images in signatures

Postby oOarthurOo » 2011-02-05 15:49

Seems to be a new trend going on right now, and it really only bugs me at work, since I adblock all images in signatures at home. But it's pretty annoying.
oOarthurOo

Re: images in signatures

Postby neddie » 2011-02-05 16:50

I agree. In particular the recent animated ones continuing the abuse of the forum mods are juvenile and ridiculous. And deliberately intended to annoy of course. Can we get them warned by the mods and asked politely to remove them?
neddie

Postby AMLJ » 2011-02-05 17:27

It's one of our basic rights to use images in our signatures and it really doesn't have anything to do with you...

Also, it's one of your basic right to think they are ridiculous... Thanks for the constructive comment.

Adblock 'em if you don't like them.
AMLJ**0-1-47
AMLJ

Postby Tadeas » 2011-02-05 17:35

AMLJ wrote:It's one of our basic rights to use images in our signatures

On most forums that I participate in, images in signatures are disabled. Animated stupidities in bright colours are very annoying and imho they are on similar level as spam. Anyway, I consider it quite rude to annoy others with them.
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.
Tadeas

Postby MALsPa » 2011-02-05 17:45

Tadeas wrote:Animated stupidities in bright colours are very annoying and imho they are on similar level as spam. Anyway, I consider it quite rude to annoy others with them.

Thank you. It's definitely annoying, and it comes across as whining.
MALsPa

Postby AMLJ » 2011-02-05 17:46

Tadeas wrote:
AMLJ wrote:It's one of our basic rights to use images in our signatures

On most forums that I participate in, images in signatures are disabled. Animated stupidities in bright colours are very annoying and imho they are on similar level as spam. Anyway, I consider it quite rude to annoy others with them.

I consider the things which have happened recently quite shocking, and I consider putting a damn thing saying "FREE CYNWULF NOW" is the least one can do.
Anyway, on this forum they are not disabled yet (hopefully), and therefor, I consider it my right to put animated pics in my signature unless a mod or admin says that it's against the rules here, which I find funny, and unlikely to happen.

You can easily get rid of them using ABP...

It isn't something stupid, and I think it has more meaning than many other signatures I see here every now and then.
AMLJ**0-1-47
AMLJ

Postby traveler » 2011-02-05 17:50

If we could discuss the unfair shake cynwulf got without a mod locking the thread, we would be happy to do so. Since we know that won't happen, it seems a "passive aggressive" approach is one of the few remaining options.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
traveler

Postby jheaton5 » 2011-02-05 18:32

traveler wrote:If we could discuss the unfair shake cynwulf got without a mod locking the thread, we would be happy to do so. Since we know that won't happen, it seems a "passive aggressive" approach is one of the few remaining options.

I disagree. You could just let it go.
debian sid
jheaton5

Postby traveler » 2011-02-05 18:36

I'm not going to comment on it further. No sense in getting another thread locked.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
traveler

Postby Mr James » 2011-02-05 19:15

Yep, mods are funny like that - if they simply don't like something in a thread, they can lock it. And the rules are vague enough to allow them to do so.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm
Mr James

Postby edbarx » 2011-02-05 21:25

I cannot say that colourful signatures created as a protest are a nuisance to me. This is a forum, and as a forum is intended to be used and frequented by people, there is absolutely nothing wrong in its members showing their opinion about anything related to its running.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Postby canci » 2011-02-05 21:34

You seemed to have no problem whatsoever when a certain Dutch user here posted "Terra Christiana est" in his signature, with a link to a blog on rather scary, far right wing propaganda. But campaigning against unjust and selective banning of users is a problem... :roll:
I ken hez kinvulf beck? I ken hez riesnible modereyshn? Kthnxbai!

No need to discuss this topic? Offended by this signature? Remove it:

Mez wrote:You can easily just disable viewing signatures

Click here - and set "Display Signatures" to No
canci

Postby Mr James » 2011-02-05 21:48

What people are failing to realize is the it's not just about cynwulf about about the principal.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm
Mr James

Postby canci » 2011-02-05 21:51

Mr James wrote:What people are failing to realize is the it's not just about cynwulf about about the principal.

Yes, sadly, that takes imagination and giving a rat's buttocks.
I ken hez kinvulf beck? I ken hez riesnible modereyshn? Kthnxbai!

No need to discuss this topic? Offended by this signature? Remove it:

Mez wrote:You can easily just disable viewing signatures

Click here - and set "Display Signatures" to No
canci

Postby oOarthurOo » 2011-02-06 01:08

canci wrote:You seemed to have no problem whatsoever when a certain Dutch user here posted "Terra Christiana est" in his signature, with a link to a blog on rather scary, far right wing propaganda. But campaigning against unjust and selective banning of users is a problem... :roll:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I also have no idea what all this cywulf stuff is about. Nor do I care. I've been here a while and haven't seen mods been dicks more than once or twice. In other words, about 1/1000th the rate of most users, myself included.

WHy not just make your protest a normal signature, even in bright red text? It'd be more effective since I can't block that, and less annoying. Win win.
oOarthurOo

Next

Return to Forum stuff & feedback