Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

To All Dear Mods, Admins, etc

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
llivv

Re: To All Dear Mods, Admins, etc

#31 Post by llivv »

Mez wrote:
llivv wrote: Other memories of the man are surely welcome here, but only if they are important to you too.
Might be worth sticking in a new thread though.
Good suggestion..
feel free
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Rolling Stone

#32 Post by Rolling Stone »

To me this place feels like there are no moderators at all. Which of course would be nice if all the people here would act nice, however...

llivv

#33 Post by llivv »

I think I'm feeling like I think Absent must have been feeling these last 3 or 4 months - maybe longer...
Even though I'm not in the same location as Absent is...
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

oOarthurOo

#34 Post by oOarthurOo »

I'm a bit surprised this thing just petered out. I thought people felt more strongly about it. If no one is interested in continuing to refine points 1 and 2 I posted earlier for inclusion into the Board Rules/Guidelines thread, then please don't start another flamewar the next time you disagree with a Mod/Admin's actions.

Here's what I think shoudl happen:

1. All current mods/admins be posted somewhere. A staff page, so everyone knows who they are. I know you got colours.

2. Add a line about respecting the Staff. This is Ubuntu's and I think it's pretty good (licensed under CC)
Respect the Forum Staff: We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We are all volunteers. Feedback is welcome in Forum Feedback and this is also the place to request assistance with forum software issues. When someone posts in a way that violates the Forums Policy staff have broad discretion in the type of response they take, from merely editing the post up to and including banning the user. Staff are requested to post an explanation in a thread that is locked when time permits. If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please contact the Staff member who took the action via private message.

traveler

#35 Post by traveler »

Oh, there's some strong feelings about the situation...
Last edited by traveler on 2011-02-11 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

AMLJ

#36 Post by AMLJ »

oOarthurOo wrote:I'm a bit surprised this thing just petered out. I thought people felt more strongly about it. If no one is interested in continuing to refine points 1 and 2 I posted earlier for inclusion into the Board Rules/Guidelines thread, then please don't start another flamewar the next time you disagree with a Mod/Admin's actions.

Here's what I think shoudl happen:

1. All current mods/admins be posted somewhere. A staff page, so everyone knows who they are. I know you got colours.

2. Add a line about respecting the Staff. This is Ubuntu's and I think it's pretty good (licensed under CC)
Respect the Forum Staff: We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We are all volunteers. Feedback is welcome in Forum Feedback and this is also the place to request assistance with forum software issues. When someone posts in a way that violates the Forums Policy staff have broad discretion in the type of response they take, from merely editing the post up to and including banning the user. Staff are requested to post an explanation in a thread that is locked when time permits. If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please contact the Staff member who took the action via private message.
Yeah, go on... With everything which has happened recently, the semi-bean system that we are going to have soon as Mez mentioned, etc this place HAS TO be an example of a butnut forum... So yeah, add a line about respecting the staff too... I'm not saying that we should not respect them, I'm just saying that there shouldn't be a RULE for that... :x
AMLJ**0-1-47

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#37 Post by 4D696B65 »

oOarthurOo wrote: 1. All current mods/admins be posted somewhere. A staff page, so everyone knows who they are. I know you got colours.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "The Team". Is that what you mean?

oOarthurOo

#38 Post by oOarthurOo »

AMLJ wrote:Yeah, go on... With everything which has happened recently, the semi-bean system that we are going to have soon as Mez mentioned, etc this place HAS TO be an example of a butnut forum... So yeah, add a line about respecting the staff too... I'm not saying that we should not respect them, I'm just saying that there shouldn't be a RULE for that... :x
Guidelines, not rules. And there is information in there about how they are able to deal with innapropriate posts/behaviour. A lot of people seemed upset that somone was banned, perhaps partly because they didn't realize that could happen, and also because they weren't aware that admins/mods discuss it amongst themselves when responding in such ways. I couldn't think of anyway to add that bit, but it's a good piece if someone wants to work it in.

oOarthurOo

#39 Post by oOarthurOo »

4D696B65 wrote:
oOarthurOo wrote: 1. All current mods/admins be posted somewhere. A staff page, so everyone knows who they are. I know you got colours.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "The Team". Is that what you mean?
Yup. Never noticed that link before. Scratch number 1 off the list.

AMLJ

#40 Post by AMLJ »

oOarthurOo wrote:
AMLJ wrote:Yeah, go on... With everything which has happened recently, the semi-bean system that we are going to have soon as Mez mentioned, etc this place HAS TO be an example of a butnut forum... So yeah, add a line about respecting the staff too... I'm not saying that we should not respect them, I'm just saying that there shouldn't be a RULE for that... :x
Guidelines, not rules. And there is information in there about how they are able to deal with innapropriate posts/behaviour. A lot of people seemed upset that somone was banned, perhaps partly because they didn't realize that could happen, and also because they weren't aware that admins/mods discuss it amongst themselves when responding in such ways. I couldn't think of anyway to add that bit, but it's a good piece if someone wants to work it in.
No one was upset about someone, whose name is nomko/Ron_Holland getting banned, but most of the old, cool and useful members where upset about somone whose name was cynwulf getting banned... Anyway, let's not discuss this... There's nothing we can do about it, and it'd just get the thread locked...

I've gave up... I see him very much now, on the new forums!
AMLJ**0-1-47

Mr James

#41 Post by Mr James »

AMLJ wrote:I've gave up... I see him very much now, on the new forums!
Yeah, not an advertisement at all AMLJ... :lol:
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

eric1959

#42 Post by eric1959 »

Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

AMLJ

#43 Post by AMLJ »

Mr James wrote:
AMLJ wrote:I've gave up... I see him very much now, on the new forums!
Yeah, not an advertisement at all AMLJ... :lol:
Nope, no advertisement! :lol: :lol:
AMLJ**0-1-47

traveler

#44 Post by traveler »

oOarthurOo wrote:Add a line about respecting the Staff. This is Ubuntu's and I think it's pretty good (licensed under CC)
Perhaps the "staff" should have to earn the community's respect instead of mandate it.
Worst "Rule" ever, but not a surprise. It sounds like something ubnutbu would shove down the peasants' throats.

There is no need for further discussion on this matter... here.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

mojoman

#45 Post by mojoman »

traveler wrote:Perhaps the "staff" should have to earn the community's respect instead of mandate it.
Worst "Rule" ever, but not a surprise. It sounds like something ubnutbu would shove down the peasants' throats.

There is no need for further discussion on this matter... here.
+1.

And maybe, just maybe - I know this is somewhat crazy but bear with me - the "staff" should also respect the users and not treat them like children. Now there's a thought...
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.

Sephiroth

#46 Post by Sephiroth »

I don't know about this whole situation personally. I've been hanging around the Debian user forums since around 2001 (I had to reregister in 2007, something about the forums and hostname, I don't remember) and until the last two or three years I never saw much trouble beyond the occasional spam-bot. Now we have a new group of moderators and new members seem to be raising heck about how things work. Since when was it proper to join an existing club or forum or other group and then complain about how it's run? I'm not attacking the posters in this thread, but a majority of the users I see posting to this thread are newer users with low post-counts. From 2001 to around 2008 or 2009 I think things went along just fine.

With that said, I have also had issues with one of the new moderators myself. Most of you know that I speak my mind and stand my ground. People don't like that because I'm not a dumb sheep that goes along with the crowd. I have had a post edited where I was joking with another user for fear that a new user would believe whatever it was I was talking about. There have been several other instances where a mod has come across as threatening since then and I don't take kindly to it. That's one reason that I've slowed down on posting, regardless of whether or not I can help another user.

I too, miss Rickh, Lavene, and the others from times past. We may not always agree on things, but they know their stuff and I learned from them.
Intel C2Q 3.06GHz, 8GB PC-10600, Dual 250GB SATA 3.0GBps RAID-0, Dual GTX295 2GB, X-Fi Gamer
P4/3.20GHz HT, 2GB DDR400, 120GB SATA, 7800GS 256MB, Audigy IV w/4.1 Speakers
AMD Turion64x2 1.60GHz, 1GB DDR2(667), 120GB PATA, ATI1100M