To All Dear Mods, Admins, etc

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Re: To All Dear Mods, Admins, etc

Postby llivv » 2011-02-09 18:01

Mez wrote:
llivv wrote:Other memories of the man are surely welcome here, but only if they are important to you too.

Might be worth sticking in a new thread though.

Good suggestion..
feel free
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Postby Rolling Stone » 2011-02-09 18:24

To me this place feels like there are no moderators at all. Which of course would be nice if all the people here would act nice, however...
Rolling Stone

Postby llivv » 2011-02-09 19:12

I think I'm feeling like I think Absent must have been feeling these last 3 or 4 months - maybe longer...
Even though I'm not in the same location as Absent is...
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Postby oOarthurOo » 2011-02-11 20:01

I'm a bit surprised this thing just petered out. I thought people felt more strongly about it. If no one is interested in continuing to refine points 1 and 2 I posted earlier for inclusion into the Board Rules/Guidelines thread, then please don't start another flamewar the next time you disagree with a Mod/Admin's actions.

Here's what I think shoudl happen:

1. All current mods/admins be posted somewhere. A staff page, so everyone knows who they are. I know you got colours.

2. Add a line about respecting the Staff. This is Ubuntu's and I think it's pretty good (licensed under CC)
Respect the Forum Staff: We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We are all volunteers. Feedback is welcome in Forum Feedback and this is also the place to request assistance with forum software issues. When someone posts in a way that violates the Forums Policy staff have broad discretion in the type of response they take, from merely editing the post up to and including banning the user. Staff are requested to post an explanation in a thread that is locked when time permits. If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please contact the Staff member who took the action via private message.
oOarthurOo

Postby traveler » 2011-02-11 20:06

Oh, there's some strong feelings about the situation...
Last edited by traveler on 2011-02-11 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
traveler

Postby AMLJ » 2011-02-11 20:07

oOarthurOo wrote:I'm a bit surprised this thing just petered out. I thought people felt more strongly about it. If no one is interested in continuing to refine points 1 and 2 I posted earlier for inclusion into the Board Rules/Guidelines thread, then please don't start another flamewar the next time you disagree with a Mod/Admin's actions.

Here's what I think shoudl happen:

1. All current mods/admins be posted somewhere. A staff page, so everyone knows who they are. I know you got colours.

2. Add a line about respecting the Staff. This is Ubuntu's and I think it's pretty good (licensed under CC)
Respect the Forum Staff: We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We are all volunteers. Feedback is welcome in Forum Feedback and this is also the place to request assistance with forum software issues. When someone posts in a way that violates the Forums Policy staff have broad discretion in the type of response they take, from merely editing the post up to and including banning the user. Staff are requested to post an explanation in a thread that is locked when time permits. If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please contact the Staff member who took the action via private message.

Yeah, go on... With everything which has happened recently, the semi-bean system that we are going to have soon as Mez mentioned, etc this place HAS TO be an example of a butnut forum... So yeah, add a line about respecting the staff too... I'm not saying that we should not respect them, I'm just saying that there shouldn't be a RULE for that... :x
AMLJ**0-1-47
AMLJ

Postby 4D696B65 » 2011-02-11 20:08

oOarthurOo wrote:1. All current mods/admins be posted somewhere. A staff page, so everyone knows who they are. I know you got colours.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "The Team". Is that what you mean?
4D696B65

Postby oOarthurOo » 2011-02-11 20:10

AMLJ wrote:Yeah, go on... With everything which has happened recently, the semi-bean system that we are going to have soon as Mez mentioned, etc this place HAS TO be an example of a butnut forum... So yeah, add a line about respecting the staff too... I'm not saying that we should not respect them, I'm just saying that there shouldn't be a RULE for that... :x

Guidelines, not rules. And there is information in there about how they are able to deal with innapropriate posts/behaviour. A lot of people seemed upset that somone was banned, perhaps partly because they didn't realize that could happen, and also because they weren't aware that admins/mods discuss it amongst themselves when responding in such ways. I couldn't think of anyway to add that bit, but it's a good piece if someone wants to work it in.
oOarthurOo

Postby oOarthurOo » 2011-02-11 20:11

4D696B65 wrote:
oOarthurOo wrote:1. All current mods/admins be posted somewhere. A staff page, so everyone knows who they are. I know you got colours.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "The Team". Is that what you mean?

Yup. Never noticed that link before. Scratch number 1 off the list.
oOarthurOo

Postby AMLJ » 2011-02-11 20:15

oOarthurOo wrote:
AMLJ wrote:Yeah, go on... With everything which has happened recently, the semi-bean system that we are going to have soon as Mez mentioned, etc this place HAS TO be an example of a butnut forum... So yeah, add a line about respecting the staff too... I'm not saying that we should not respect them, I'm just saying that there shouldn't be a RULE for that... :x

Guidelines, not rules. And there is information in there about how they are able to deal with innapropriate posts/behaviour. A lot of people seemed upset that somone was banned, perhaps partly because they didn't realize that could happen, and also because they weren't aware that admins/mods discuss it amongst themselves when responding in such ways. I couldn't think of anyway to add that bit, but it's a good piece if someone wants to work it in.

No one was upset about someone, whose name is nomko/Ron_Holland getting banned, but most of the old, cool and useful members where upset about somone whose name was cynwulf getting banned... Anyway, let's not discuss this... There's nothing we can do about it, and it'd just get the thread locked...

I've gave up... I see him very much now, on the new forums!
AMLJ**0-1-47
AMLJ

Postby Mr James » 2011-02-11 20:20

AMLJ wrote:I've gave up... I see him very much now, on the new forums!

Yeah, not an advertisement at all AMLJ... :lol:
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm
Mr James

Postby eric1959 » 2011-02-11 20:22

Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330
eric1959

Postby AMLJ » 2011-02-11 20:37

Mr James wrote:
AMLJ wrote:I've gave up... I see him very much now, on the new forums!

Yeah, not an advertisement at all AMLJ... :lol:

Nope, no advertisement! :lol: :lol:
AMLJ**0-1-47
AMLJ

Postby traveler » 2011-02-11 21:47

oOarthurOo wrote:Add a line about respecting the Staff. This is Ubuntu's and I think it's pretty good (licensed under CC)

Perhaps the "staff" should have to earn the community's respect instead of mandate it.
Worst "Rule" ever, but not a surprise. It sounds like something ubnutbu would shove down the peasants' throats.

There is no need for further discussion on this matter... here.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
traveler

Postby mojoman » 2011-02-11 22:14

traveler wrote:Perhaps the "staff" should have to earn the community's respect instead of mandate it.
Worst "Rule" ever, but not a surprise. It sounds like something ubnutbu would shove down the peasants' throats.

There is no need for further discussion on this matter... here.

+1.

And maybe, just maybe - I know this is somewhat crazy but bear with me - the "staff" should also respect the users and not treat them like children. Now there's a thought...
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.
mojoman

PreviousNext

Return to Forum stuff & feedback