Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Official debian forums real debain user

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
ubuntutoo

Official debian forums real debain user

#1 Post by ubuntutoo »

Is this the official debian forums? I read something about real debain user? I dont see any reference to this term nor to this website for that matter in http://www.debian.org.

Globetrotter

Re: Official debian forums real debain user

#2 Post by Globetrotter »

ubuntutoo wrote:Is this the official debian forums? I read something about real debain user? I dont see any reference to this term nor to this website for that matter in http://www.debian.org.
For me this is the only Debian forum. I think the term "real debian users" refers to the users of the Debian operating system itself, since you also have debian-based distro's like Ubuntu and Linux Mint. But that's doesn't say that this forum is the only forum who's handling question's about Debian. There are a lot of other Linux sites who are running a forum where people can ask questions about their distro. The only drawback is, is that everybody can ask questions their no matter what distro you have. It's more a mixed up world of all kind of distro's and questions in which yo9u have to find the rigth answer to your problem. On this Debian forum there are only questions/answers/solutions only for the Debian operating system.

AMLJ

#3 Post by AMLJ »

Maybe it's the official one... Not sure anymore...
Link to Real Debian User: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=21372
Last edited by AMLJ on 2011-02-11 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
AMLJ**0-1-47

meon

#4 Post by meon »

ubuntutoo wrote:Is this the official debian forums? I read something about real debain user? I dont see any reference to this term nor to this website for that matter in http://www.debian.org.
A link to this forum is found under Support->Websites->Forums
http://www.debian.org/support.en.html

Bro.Tiag

#5 Post by Bro.Tiag »

There is no "Official" Debian Forum associated with The Debian Project. Now if you do go to Debian for Support you will see some "Official" types of support offered by debian. You will also note at the top of the list "Documentation". It's not there at the top because the list is in alphabetical order. Use it.

Further down the list you will find a link to Other support resources. Following it will you will find related links, where there is yet another list of information on the net that may be of interest to Debian users. Selecting the first on Support web sites will give one a list of some web forums, Debian User Forums is one of them.

Now as far as a "Real Debian User" AMLJ hit the nail on the head :mrgreen: .

Cheers

Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

#6 Post by Mez »

Dupe topics merged

eric1959

#7 Post by eric1959 »

Mez wrote:Dupe topics merged
And sanatized............
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

Mez

#8 Post by Mez »

eric1959 wrote:
*confused about spelling*

mojoman

#9 Post by mojoman »

Mez wrote:
eric1959 wrote:
*confused about spelling*
But not about the meaning I take it...?
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.

eric1959

#10 Post by eric1959 »

Sorry, just a typo......
Debian Bits And Snips

mojoman

#11 Post by mojoman »

eric1959 wrote:Sorry, just a typo......
Not to worry, everybody understood what you meant. Well, almost everybody...
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.

eric1959

#12 Post by eric1959 »

mojoman wrote:Well, almost everybody...
:wink: No picture here, just a smilie :wink:.....uh smily....uh smiley....sorry....
Debian Bits And Snips

Mr James

#13 Post by Mr James »

Because God forbid a forum does what it was designed to do: display our posts.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

mharrison

#14 Post by mharrison »

I don't get how this thread is still open. With a name like Ubuntutoo and the nature of the original post, how can this be seen as anything other than a troll post. Glad to know the reporting option is working just fine and dandy.

Mr James

#15 Post by Mr James »

mharrison wrote: I don't get how this thread is still open. With a name like Ubuntutoo and the nature of the original post, how can this be seen as anything other than a troll post.
Now you get the reason for my sarcastic reply in the other thread: the massive influx of Ubuntu users coming here trying to a) post how satisfied they are with Ubuntu, b) post help requests on getting Debian to act like Ubuntu or c) post crap like this.
And then they disappear back to the Ubunut forums from whence they came.
mharrison wrote:Glad to know the reporting option is working just fine and dandy.
A lot of good that does with this type of thread. Were I to snarl at the OP, then the thread would get closed and I would get a warning.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

mharrison

#16 Post by mharrison »

Mr James wrote: Now you get the reason for my sarcastic reply in the other thread: the massive influx of Ubuntu users coming here trying to a) post how satisfied they are with Ubuntu, b) post help requests on getting Debian to act like Ubuntu or c) post crap like this.
And then they disappear back to the Ubunut forums from whence they came.
A lot of good that does with this type of thread. Were I to snarl at the OP, then the thread would get closed and I would get a warning.

Oh, I got your sarcasm...my Sarcasm Meter was off the charts. And I keep forgetting, that the powers that be must be getting paid off because the trolls are running amok here..it's sad...I think I would rather just stick to the IRC channel, but that is just as bad with the "I'm using Debian but I want it to do exactly what my Ubuntu install does..."

I may not be an elder here but I think I'm out for a while...perhaps after a bit longer after the 6.0 release the OMGUbuntu crowd will have gone from here.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#17 Post by mzilikazi »

mharrison wrote: And I keep forgetting, that the powers that be must be getting paid off because the trolls are running amok here..
Feel free to report all trolls as per the forum guidelines. I don't see this particular question as a post by a troll. Failure to RTFM does not a troll make.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

llivv

#18 Post by llivv »

mzilikazi wrote:Feel free to report all trolls as per the forum guidelines. I don't see this particular question as a post by a troll. Failure to RTFM does not a troll make.
I guess every situation is different, making for an infinite set of variables just on the one topic of RTFM....
I'm happy to be able to type RTFM at least once without fear of a warning :D
So I typed it twice just because....
It just irks me when I see a poster complaining to me that I'm a crap bag for telling them to go back to
Windows where they belong, or a damned keyboard jockey because I have more than a certain number of posts
in this forum.. Or even telling me that I've read the manual but it didn't make any sense so I posted here instead..
But that poster obviously didn't understand the instructions I also left in the post to test mount options one by one while checking for mount errors... Eventually it maybe discovered that ext3 doesn't support those mount options.. Oh Well...
I really didn't feel it was worth my time to double check the mount man and hold the poster hand....
The poster must have not agreed..

Some people think this forum is an integral part of the debian experience, others I'm guessing would like this forum turned into a completely different venue.. [No:Fud]
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#19 Post by mzilikazi »

llivv wrote: I'm happy to be able to type RTFM at least once without fear of a warning :D
At the risk of straying off topic.....I think RTFM is OK sometimes as long as you point to the FM just as Bro.Tiag did in response to the OP. :) In other words, Read THIS fine manual. Another way to say RTFM might be:

Code: Select all

man man
or a link to a guide or forum post that contains the answer.
I really didn't feel it was worth my time to double check the mount man and hold the poster hand....
Of course you are not obligated to do so....unless you like to hold hands.

As for 'What's a real Debian user?"
Answer: Someone who uses Debian
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

llivv

#20 Post by llivv »

mzilikazi wrote:
llivv wrote:I really didn't feel it was worth my time to double check the mount man and hold the poster hand....
Of course you are not obligated to do so....unless you like to hold hands.

As for 'What's a real Debian user?"
Answer: Someone who uses Debian
100% real debian? Or do the fake debains' (less than 100% debain all the way to 0% debain) count as real debain too?

I tried to make that sound as humble as possible..... I may have fail badly....
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.