Page 3 of 3

Re: Additions/changes to forum rules

PostPosted: 2011-03-09 01:48
by mzilikazi
nadir wrote:I told you what i think. Then you say:
mzilikazi wrote: The rules are what they are and you are free to dislike them all you want.

Yes perhaps I was rather blunt. Allow me to elaborate.
None of the suggested forum rule changes really amounted to much. These things are mostly covered under the existing rules. Perhaps some minor adjustments are in order but I don't see an urgent need for anything drastic to take place with the forum rules as they are.

Re: Additions/changes to forum rules

PostPosted: 2011-03-09 17:54
by nadir
mzilikazi wrote:
nadir wrote:I told you what i think. Then you say:
mzilikazi wrote: The rules are what they are and you are free to dislike them all you want.

Yes perhaps I was rather blunt. Allow me to elaborate.
None of the suggested forum rule changes really amounted to much. These things are mostly covered under the existing rules. Perhaps some minor adjustments are in order but I don't see an urgent need for anything drastic to take place with the forum rules as they are.


I think i hear you.
I said in my first post: i got problems to express myself. Language _is a problem for me.
I guess we mainly agree, but got problems to understand each other (error on my side of the river).

In the terms of the Debian-social-contract my concern is the freedom of speech.
I for one see "posts" as the intellectual property of the one who wrote them. Hence any "editing" should be done if, and only if, absolutely necessary. A minimum of being able to understand things should be required to be a moderator or admin, not the pure will to simply ~do something~.

As long i have been a member of this board (2 years +, not long) there have been rules. But they have not been a "holy cow". The important thing were the users and the board, not the rules itself.
Now wherever i go: each subsection and my users-control-panel and the posts of a certain mod: all i see are rules. In lynx the complete first page i see are rules-threads.

sorry that i am not able to speak in plain words.
best of luck

Re: Additions/changes to forum rules

PostPosted: 2011-03-09 18:57
by mzilikazi
nadir wrote:In the terms of the Debian-social-contract my concern is the freedom of speech.
I for one see "posts" as the intellectual property of the one who wrote them. Hence any "editing" should be done if, and only if, absolutely necessary. A minimum of being able to understand things should be required to be a moderator or admin, not the pure will to simply ~do something~.

Indeed - free speech is king.
As for me, the posts I've edited were either completely off-topic or offensive. I'm not even sure I have edited any 'offensive' posts but definitely I have edited offtopic posts. I think it unfair to lock a thread because someone other than the OP is posting off-topic. The posts I recall editing were attempts to express the opinion of the poster but had nothing to do with the thread. In these cases nothing was lost since the post that was edited had no bearing at all on the topic.

Re: Additions/changes to forum rules

PostPosted: 2011-03-10 02:40
by mharrison
mzilikazi wrote:
mharrison wrote:And here lies the problem, as Nadir said. If the mods do not simply have the desire or the time to be the judge and jury, then perhaps we need mods who do have the time. I understand this is a volunteer based system, however you can't bitch about us bringing down the forum when you are admitting that you don't have the time to do your job. If it is that hard then step down and find someone else to do it who does have the time.

So let's see....if there's just too much for a small group to handle then the obvious solution is for that group to quit? Sorry if I can't follow your logic. Do we need more mods/admins? Perhaps, but when you ridicule the existing mods/admins I doubt that many volunteers will be forthcoming.


Image

Re: Additions/changes to forum rules

PostPosted: 2011-03-10 03:19
by Mr James
mzilikazi wrote:I think it unfair to lock a thread because someone other than the OP is posting off-topic


Tell that to Mez - he locks threads even when everyone IS on topic.

Re: Additions/changes to forum rules

PostPosted: 2011-03-10 05:18
by traveler
Comment removed.

Re: Additions/changes to forum rules

PostPosted: 2011-03-10 10:26
by llivv
removed - electrons unwanted

Re: Additions/changes to forum rules

PostPosted: 2011-03-10 10:43
by mharrison
llivv wrote:post reported as wasting forum electrons...
"obviously" your definition of a personal attack and my definition of the same differ ever so slightly...


Posting that you reported a post is also indeed a waste of forum electrons. Do you want a cookie for reporting a post? Is that why you advertised it?