Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Someone spammed my thread!

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Ahtiga Saraz

Someone spammed my thread!

#1 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

See the post from the "website developer" here.

[EDIT: Thanks! Someone zapped it and it was gone within 15 minutes.]

The sticky thread doesn't actually tell me what to do about it! At least, not quickly and clearly. Can we have a new one post closed sticky thread which simply tells forum users what to do when we see spam?

Also, I request again SSL encrypted username/password when logging into the forum.
Ahtiga Saraz

Le peuple debout contre les tyrans! De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours l'audace!

Telemachus

Re: Someone spammed my thread!

#2 Post by Telemachus »

I don't remember where it's posted, but here's the simple solution:
  • See spam post anywhere on the forum (your thread or someone else's).
  • Click on the triangle with the "!" inside it on the top right corner of the post (the "Report thread" button).
  • Report the post as spam.
That's it. The general guideline is please not to make posts like this one. It's not necessary and if everyone did it, the forum would quickly become cluttered. Finally, don't take it too personally. In general, it's not that "someone" but "something" spammed your thread. It's mostly random.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by 4D696B65 »

Ahtiga Saraz wrote: [EDIT: Thanks! Someone zapped it and it was gone within 15 minutes.]
:mrgreen:

Ahtiga Saraz

#4 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

Thanks, Telemachus! I know what to do now.

I didn't see the exclamation point icon because I had disabled automatic image loading and javascript in my browser. It turns out that if I hover my mouse in just the right spot, I will see a balloon which tells me that if I right click, I will press the hidden report button. Same for the hidden edit button.

If it matters, the sticky thread "Preferred method spam reporting?" left me with the mistaken impression that doing the obvious thing (which in most forums would be pressing a "report" button and filling out a webform) would not be appropriate at Debian User Forums, which I now know is incorrect. It might not be a bad idea to delete or unsticky that sticky thread.
Ahtiga Saraz

Le peuple debout contre les tyrans! De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours l'audace!