[SOLVED] Marking as solved - How ???

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

[SOLVED] Marking as solved - How ???

Postby WinRiddance » 2011-05-06 12:55

I have three posts, all of which have been solved to the point that when someone reads them, they'll get the same results/solutions that I got. How do I mark them as solved? I'm using Iceweasel and I've checked the forum FAQ, my account settings, top & bottom portion of the posts themselves, yet can't find anything where I can mark a thread as solved. Is it because I haven't written enough posts yet? If so, that would be silly. What if I don't write any others? Then nobody would get to see those solutions ... ???
Last edited by WinRiddance on 2011-05-06 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

PLEASE ... don't waste anyone's time (your own included) with foolish or utterly useless comments!
WinRiddance

Re: Marking as solved - How ???

Postby mharrison » 2011-05-06 12:58

There isn't a button to click. most people, I think, just edit the original post and add the [Solved] to the subject.
mharrison

Postby WinRiddance » 2011-05-06 14:47

mharrison wrote:There isn't a button to click. most people, I think, just edit the original post and add the [Solved] to the subject.

Wow, I don't really consider myself stupid ... but that's something that I wouldn't have thought needed to be done in a technical forum. Live and learn every day ... thanks.

PLEASE ... don't waste anyone's time (your own included) with foolish or utterly useless comments!
WinRiddance

Postby mharrison » 2011-05-06 14:49

WinRiddance wrote:
mharrison wrote:There isn't a button to click. most people, I think, just edit the original post and add the [Solved] to the subject.

Wow, I don't really consider myself stupid ... but that's something that I wouldn't have thought needed to be done in a technical forum. Live and learn every day ... thanks.

PHPBB is used to run this forum and they do not have the option....why I don't know, would have to ask the developers. A lot of forums use PHPBB though....I know the Ubuntu forums have a Solved button, but they use a proprietary forum package.

There is a hack for PHPBB to add a solved button, but from what I understand, it is a pretty complicated setup.
mharrison

Postby Revenger » 2011-05-06 21:32

WinRiddance wrote:Wow, I don't really consider myself stupid ... but that's something that I wouldn't have thought needed to be done in a technical forum. Live and learn every day ... thanks.

You are not only one. I also asked the same question and ended banging my head on the table when they told me that I just need to change thread subject ...
Next time someone says 'Go to hell' to me, I come right here.

Do you need bad help?
Revenger

Re: [SOLVED] Marking as solved - How ???

Postby SodPen » 2011-08-18 13:48

Ha! I just switched from Ubuntu to the Debian mothership and made my first forum post. I spent a good 15 minutes looking all over for, what I assumed, was an obvious button I was mentally blocking myself from seeing. I finally Googled it and found this thread. Thank you so much for answering (and asking) this question. I too, just banged my head off the desk.
SodPen

Postby bupet » 2012-05-24 12:16

Lol, same as SodPen :lol:
bupet

Postby friartek » 2014-01-25 19:12

Really need to understand how searches work within forums.debian.net(but that's beside the point). But what I did find is that that at least 6000 or so views on this topic under several different threads. But as already noted, nothing in the FAQ.

I wonder if someone should take the time to add How to mark a thread as solved? in the FAQ.
friartek

Postby Vyverjet » 2014-10-03 02:24

Dear WinRiddance,
We both are in the same leaking boat! In fact, i have posted under General questions the same problem and none of the posts are of real help. Einstein is reported to have said"i solve problems by simply avoiding them" :wink: !

Vyverjet
Rudyard Kipling's quote"East is East and West is West and never the twain shall ever meet"unquote
Vyverjet

Return to Forum stuff & feedback