Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Marking as solved - How ???

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
WinRiddance

[SOLVED] Marking as solved - How ???

#1 Post by WinRiddance »

I have three posts, all of which have been solved to the point that when someone reads them, they'll get the same results/solutions that I got. How do I mark them as solved? I'm using Iceweasel and I've checked the forum FAQ, my account settings, top & bottom portion of the posts themselves, yet can't find anything where I can mark a thread as solved. Is it because I haven't written enough posts yet? If so, that would be silly. What if I don't write any others? Then nobody would get to see those solutions ... ???
Last edited by WinRiddance on 2011-05-06 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

PLEASE ... don't waste anyone's time (your own included) with foolish or utterly useless comments!

mharrison

Re: Marking as solved - How ???

#2 Post by mharrison »

There isn't a button to click. most people, I think, just edit the original post and add the [Solved] to the subject.

WinRiddance

#3 Post by WinRiddance »

mharrison wrote:There isn't a button to click. most people, I think, just edit the original post and add the [Solved] to the subject.
Wow, I don't really consider myself stupid ... but that's something that I wouldn't have thought needed to be done in a technical forum. Live and learn every day ... thanks.

PLEASE ... don't waste anyone's time (your own included) with foolish or utterly useless comments!

mharrison

#4 Post by mharrison »

WinRiddance wrote:
mharrison wrote:There isn't a button to click. most people, I think, just edit the original post and add the [Solved] to the subject.
Wow, I don't really consider myself stupid ... but that's something that I wouldn't have thought needed to be done in a technical forum. Live and learn every day ... thanks.
PHPBB is used to run this forum and they do not have the option....why I don't know, would have to ask the developers. A lot of forums use PHPBB though....I know the Ubuntu forums have a Solved button, but they use a proprietary forum package.

There is a hack for PHPBB to add a solved button, but from what I understand, it is a pretty complicated setup.

Revenger

#5 Post by Revenger »

WinRiddance wrote: Wow, I don't really consider myself stupid ... but that's something that I wouldn't have thought needed to be done in a technical forum. Live and learn every day ... thanks.
You are not only one. I also asked the same question and ended banging my head on the table when they told me that I just need to change thread subject ...
Next time someone says 'Go to hell' to me, I come right here.

Do you need bad help?

SodPen

Re: [SOLVED] Marking as solved - How ???

#6 Post by SodPen »

Ha! I just switched from Ubuntu to the Debian mothership and made my first forum post. I spent a good 15 minutes looking all over for, what I assumed, was an obvious button I was mentally blocking myself from seeing. I finally Googled it and found this thread. Thank you so much for answering (and asking) this question. I too, just banged my head off the desk.

bupet

#7 Post by bupet »

Lol, same as SodPen :lol:

friartek

#8 Post by friartek »

Really need to understand how searches work within forums.debian.net(but that's beside the point). But what I did find is that that at least 6000 or so views on this topic under several different threads. But as already noted, nothing in the FAQ.

I wonder if someone should take the time to add How to mark a thread as solved? in the FAQ.

Vyverjet

#9 Post by Vyverjet »

Dear WinRiddance,
We both are in the same leaking boat! In fact, i have posted under General questions the same problem and none of the posts are of real help. Einstein is reported to have said"i solve problems by simply avoiding them" :wink: !

Vyverjet
Rudyard Kipling's quote"East is East and West is West and never the twain shall ever meet"unquote

derul

#10 Post by derul »

Close to 13000 views and still not included in the FAQ.
Also, don't look for an edit button next to the subject, click the edit button in the initial/first post and edit the title.

I don't know the details, but I'm wondering why would it be difficult to add that "mark as solved" button next to the title that would just add the word [Solved]. For example, every time you click the reply button your reply has the title of the post with the "RE:" added automatically.

Maybe the first question we need to answer is : Do we want/need to mark our threads as solved?
or maybe: Do the administrators of the forum want/expect us to mark our threads as solved?

Bulkley

#11 Post by Bulkley »

derul wrote:Do the administrators of the forum want/expect us to mark our threads as solved?
The owners of the forum provide it as a service to the Debian community. They do very little in the way of administrating it as they have neither the time nor inclination. They expect us to sort ourselves out.

Editing the opening post and adding [SOLVED] is very easy to do. We don't need a phpBB fix for such a small problem.

GarryRicketson

#12 Post by GarryRicketson »

I don't see the need or point in re-starting up a 2year old thread again, either.
But any way it is a "open topic",....
As far as the questions go:
Do we want/need to mark our threads as solved?
Who is we ?,... I want to, and do take the time to edit the first post of the
topic I start, and add the word "solved" to it,...but it is not mandatory ir required,
If you don't want to, you don't have to. Quite often somone will ask you to
or suggest doing that, if you don't but it is not manadtory.
Do the administrators of the forum want/expect us to mark our threads as solved?
There are several "administrators", and I am not one, but just do a little with the spam,
so I can't really speak for them,..but as part of the "team" so to speak, and also as a forum member, I can say Yes, we want you do that, it is appreciated, however especially for new members, it is not really expected,...so that is why we usually suggest it, when it is a new member,...but it is not manadtory.
I see you are not a new member:

Code: Select all

2013-09-30 07:05 
Which really makes me wonder what the motives are in stirring up a old thread like this,... I think, since this is solved, and has many answers in it, this would be a good point and time for a moderator to close the thread, there really is nothing more to say on it.