Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Search ignores some 'required' keywords

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
dbbolton

Search ignores some 'required' keywords

#1 Post by dbbolton »

I was under the impression that the modifier + made the search only show results with that keyword. I also assumed that using + on multiple terms would translate into 'and' logic-- e.g. "+foo +bar" would only show results containing both "foo" AND "bar". I selected "Search for all terms or use query as entered" as well. However, it didn't work as I expected:

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I was searching titles only.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

dasein

Re: Search ignores some 'required' keywords

#2 Post by dasein »

You're right. That's not how it should work.

In my experience forum search engines are less than optimal for finding content. Happily, a superior retrieval (and relevance-ranking) algorithm is close at hand. Here's an example:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bk3b+% ... debian.net

ivanovnegro

#3 Post by ivanovnegro »

Yes, Google is definiteley better for searching even content in this forum.

dbbolton

#4 Post by dbbolton »

I occasionally use site:debian.net on Google for hairier searches but I still feel like a simple two-word 'and' title query should be handled by the forum properly.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.