Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Please get a handle on the spammers!

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Mr James

Re: Please get a handle on the spammers!

#46 Post by Mr James »

eric1959 wrote:
Where the hell did you find them?
Just look at Who is online : Our newest member and registered users....and check them...
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

eric1959

#47 Post by eric1959 »

Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

eric1959

#48 Post by eric1959 »

datiowkr8d2d

pro8gnfessioncq

nai6qijlfunguaw

They are never online hidden, it seems.

Ok, I quit....
Last edited by eric1959 on 2011-08-24 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Bits And Snips

vbrummond

#49 Post by vbrummond »

It would be wise.
Always on Debian Testing

ComputerBob

#50 Post by ComputerBob »

Here's a generic spambot message that one of my 6-year-old Journal postings (subject: forum software) received this morning, along with the requisite hyperlink to the spammer's website. :roll:

"Attractive section of content. I just now came across your site and in accession capital to say that I get actually really liked account your website posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing to your augment and also I achievement you entry regularly rapidly."
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Bulkley

#51 Post by Bulkley »

Another forum I help with uses the script I mentioned above. This morning it blocked a spammer with 14 usernames and 3IPs, from the Ukraine. Before installing the script we would spend an awful lot of time and effort chasing a spammer like this as he re-registered with different names.

StopForumSpam.com Integration With Your phpBB Forum

eric1959

#52 Post by eric1959 »

Debian Bits And Snips

eric1959

#53 Post by eric1959 »

Doing a Google search :

Code: Select all

site:forums.debian.net "Posts 1"
You will find a lot of spammers still not reported.
Debian Bits And Snips

pcalvert

#54 Post by pcalvert »

Here's what I don't understand. I'll report a spam post and it will be deleted. But later when I follow up on it, I find that the spammer's other messages haven't been removed, and the account is still active. And it's not like this is an isolated case; what I've been seeing seems more like the rule rather than an exception. So if the spam fighters are overwhelmed, this might be a big part of the problem.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

eric1959

#55 Post by eric1959 »

and the account is still active
Yep...they are even on the list of BIRTHDAYS Congratulations to......... :lol:
Last edited by eric1959 on 2012-04-24 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Bits And Snips

Bulkley

#56 Post by Bulkley »

pcalvert wrote:Here's what I don't understand. I'll report a spam post and it will be deleted. But later when I follow up on it, I find that the spammer's other messages haven't been removed, and the account is still active. And it's not like this is an isolated case; what I've been seeing seems more like the rule rather than an exception. So if the spam fighters are overwhelmed, this might be a big part of the problem.
That's what was happening at the small forum I help moderate. When we finally learned how to identify spammers I checked all the inactive members and all those with 0, 1 or 2 posts. I found and removed about 70 spammers. There are probably a couple I didn't find but our hassle is way down.

It is not enough to delete spam when it appears. Human spammers will register, make one or two posts and lay dormant for days, weeks or months. Eventually, they will change their personal information and tag lines. They may also look up other members and send spam to private email addresses. These people have to be rooted out and deleted.

Something else we found. Erase anyone registering with @explodingemails.com. These email addresses become non-functional after 20 minutes, just long enough for a spammer to register here.

eric1959

#57 Post by eric1959 »

Bulkley wrote:That's what was happening at the small forum I help moderate. When we finally learned how to identify spammers I checked all the inactive members and all those with 0, 1 or 2 posts. I found and removed about 70 spammers. There are probably a couple I didn't find but our hassle is way down.

It is not enough to delete spam when it appears. Human spammers will register, make one or two posts and lay dormant for days, weeks or months. Eventually, they will change their personal information and tag lines. They may also look up other members and send spam to private email addresses. These people have to be rooted out and deleted.
So the question remains, why are these accounts not deleted....? It would we nice to be able to report newly created ( with still 0 Posts ) or older accounts with spam links in their profile. I've mentioned a number of them in former posts in this thread, but nothing has been done...they still exist :cry:
Debian Bits And Snips

roseway

#58 Post by roseway »

I presume that the spam hunters don't have the authority to ban people, so all they can do is apply a bit of sticking plaster instead of really dealing with the problem. The people who do have that authority should be banning spammers immediately, not giving them a second (.. third, fourth...) chance.
Eric

eric1959

#59 Post by eric1959 »

roseway wrote:I presume that the spam hunters don't have the authority to ban people
That's right, they don't have...Number of spam hunters : 2 :roll:
roseway wrote:The people who do have that authority should be banning spammers immediately, not giving them a second (.. third, fourth...) chance.
But it looks they don't care....

STATISTICS Total members 38307 ( number of still existing spammer accounts ???? )
Debian Bits And Snips

Bulkley

#60 Post by Bulkley »

It does not help one iota if the spammers are not erased from the database and blocked from returning.

golinux

#61 Post by golinux »

Bulkley wrote:It does not help one iota if the spammers are not erased from the database and blocked from returning.
Exactly. I thought Debian folks would be more savvy than this. Very disillusioning . . .
May the FORK be with you!

nadir

#62 Post by nadir »

You are one step away from insight about "the staff" and how much they do care...
you all can propose as much as you like (it won't happen).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

golinux

#63 Post by golinux »

Are we approaching heresy?
May the FORK be with you!

eric1959

#64 Post by eric1959 »

You can recognize these new members as spammers according to their usernames :
chepfapnorth5ae see the links.
car9ztinsuranc2 no links yet, but you can guess...
bla7mckberryhqk no posts yet...

The list goes on....
Debian Bits And Snips

pcalvert

#65 Post by pcalvert »

Some spammers sign up for the forum but never post any messages. They think that the links that they put in their profiles help them, but it doesn't help them at all. On some forums it may, but not on this one. Only members who are signed in can view the profiles; for everyone else, it's as if they don't even exist.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.