Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Please get a handle on the spammers!

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
golinux

Please get a handle on the spammers!

#1 Post by golinux »

It's been really bad lately. Not a pleasant task to deal with it but somebody's gotta do it.
May the FORK be with you!

vbrummond

Re: Please get a handle on the spammers!

#2 Post by vbrummond »

Hmm yeah. These forums get spammed a lot sadly. :(
Always on Debian Testing

secipolla

#3 Post by secipolla »

They are deleted quite swiftly but I think it would be useful to have better control on registering (not that I have any suggestion since I never ran a forum).

nomko

#4 Post by nomko »

On some other forum's they use blocking by IP. That could work for spammers. Someone's IP address must be visible for board administrator's. So, if some spammer registers here and start spamming, block his/her IP. And if the board administrator notice that the spamming comes from a certain range of IP addresses, block that specific range (if this is possible).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://sites.google.com/site/debianlinu ... gssysteem/
Do not send me private messages, they will be deleted without reading

qjqqyy

#5 Post by qjqqyy »

my ISP share IP addresses, and from wikipedia vandalism records, i can tell that i am sharing IP with a bunch of a**holes.
So this will most likely ban me from the forum, and as far as most ppl are concerned I am a legitimate and good member.
Last edited by qjqqyy on 2011-09-03 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

nomko

#6 Post by nomko »

qjqqyy wrote:my ISP share IP addresses, and from wikipedia vandalism records, i can tell that i am sharing IP with a bunch of a**holes.
So this will most likely ban me from the forum, and as fat as most ppl are concerned I am a legitimate and good member.
Then that would be a shame loosing you here if that's true with that sharing IP policy and sharing it with some f*****g clowns....
http://sites.google.com/site/debianlinu ... gssysteem/
Do not send me private messages, they will be deleted without reading

xircon

#7 Post by xircon »

My Missus manages Sheffield Forum, they have 100,000+ members. She is constantly fighting not only spam, but unbelievable racist nonsense (and calls to start rioting). Her board runs vBulitin and she has a large number of volunteer mods and is really struggling at the moment. A bit of commercial spam is nothing!

quartermass

#8 Post by quartermass »

This robinson and robert1234 spammed just about every post.

eric1959

#9 Post by eric1959 »

This morning I had to push the Report this post button about 30 times.... :?
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

AMLJ

#10 Post by AMLJ »

The coach outlet guy spams my blog comments too... Yet I don't care.. I mean, at least he says something related to the post, like "This was very useful, thanks", and that's enough for me not to remove his comments... But I think if he wants to advertise, he should put it in his signature... It's not so cool to do something like this, posting ads on every damn thread...
AMLJ**0-1-47

ComputerBob

#11 Post by ComputerBob »

AMLJ wrote:The coach outlet guy spams my blog comments too... Yet I don't care.. I mean, at least he says something related to the post, like "This was very useful, thanks", and that's enough for me not to remove his comments...
In the past 4 years, I've deleted tens out thousands of "This was very useful, thanks" messages that spammers have posted in my blog. That type of message is often posted by automated software, not by live human beings -- which explains why the exact same generic "comment" often appears almost simulateously in several different, completely unrelated blog postings. "This was very useful, thanks" is one of the many generic, complimentary comments that spammers use when they want to fool you into thinking that a human being actually READ and appreciated your postings, so that you won't delete what they've posted. IMHO, such garbage postings have no value and serve no purpose other than to advertise and display a link to the spammer's site, so I always delete them as soon as I see them.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

vbrummond

#12 Post by vbrummond »

Yeah f em. Nuke em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Always on Debian Testing

eric1959

#13 Post by eric1959 »

vbrummond wrote:Yeah f em. Nuke em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Hasta la vista, baby....
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

Llewton

#14 Post by Llewton »

on the bright side, spam messages have gotten, basically, cleverer and cleverer :lol:
the same can't be said for another problem of this forum and those would be insane ubuntu trolls.

secipolla

#15 Post by secipolla »

Hi mods. Today I've seen spams from users that have spammed before; aren't they banned?
I know they can register again (unfortunately) but ban the person/bot right away.

edit- Actually something that at least sounds smart would be a feature that would leave them registered but the spammer posts would simply not appear (of course from time to time there would need a 'one-click clean-up' otherwise the forum would reach a million users..).

Donate321

#16 Post by Donate321 »

Don´t panic too much - it´s not so much a pain as many people make of it. Don´t get me wrong I´m not pro spam - it´s just that I cannot read and hear it anymore how painfull it is to to get an nwanted phone call, an newsletter I never ordered ... it´s just getting used to the fcats of live, go over the "thak´s it was helpful" and turn a phone down from time to time ... relax.
Doris

secipolla

#17 Post by secipolla »

I don't think so, Doris. It's not a matter of being a 'pain'. It's just that if those post aren't deleted and unwise folks click on their links and answer their posts I think this could trigger the spambots to target the site more and more.

Bulkley

#18 Post by Bulkley »

I help moderate another forum that uses phpbb. We recently installed a little script available here that checks each new registrant against a list of known spammers. If he/she is found on the list they get this message:
No soup for you!

It looks like you've been flagged as a spammer. You may not pass.
It works. There is no anti-spam protection that is 100% effective but this one is better than most.

AMLJ

#19 Post by AMLJ »

ComputerBob wrote:
AMLJ wrote:The coach outlet guy spams my blog comments too... Yet I don't care.. I mean, at least he says something related to the post, like "This was very useful, thanks", and that's enough for me not to remove his comments...
In the past 4 years, I've deleted tens out thousands of "This was very useful, thanks" messages that spammers have posted in my blog. That type of message is often posted by automated software, not by live human beings -- which explains why the exact same generic "comment" often appears almost simulateously in several different, completely unrelated blog postings. "This was very useful, thanks" is one of the many generic, complimentary comments that spammers use when they want to fool you into thinking that a human being actually READ and appreciated your postings, so that you won't delete what they've posted. IMHO, such garbage postings have no value and serve no purpose other than to advertise and display a link to the spammer's site, so I always delete them as soon as I see them.
Oh... :) I was totally fooled by this one I gotta say... :mrgreen:
AMLJ**0-1-47

Mr James

#20 Post by Mr James »

Very good thread with all important information -thanks. :lol:
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm