Please get a handle on the spammers!

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Re: Please get a handle on the spammers!

Postby eric1959 » 2011-09-02 11:35

Cope57 wrote:Is the forum up to date?
I do not know the version of the software that this forum is running, but it could be slightly out of date for some bug fixes for fighting spam?

[phpBB update packages]

Just a suggestion to get it updated, or at least check to see if it is current.

mzilikazi wrote:Sadly, there is no one with the time or ambition to take on the responsibility of making those changes at the server. The 'position' is open but the only individuals that would be considered must have Debian membership.

And so it is...
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330
eric1959

Postby jheaton5 » 2011-09-02 16:27

mzilikazi wrote:Yes the spam is out of control just as it's always been. This is nothing new - you've just been spared seeing most of it by some extremely busy individuals. As of today, the only method for dealing with spammers has been moving threads and deleting accounts. This does work but it's completely unrealistic to expect humans to handle the mundane task of moving dozens (hundreds?) of threads day in and day out. Nor is it realistic to expect someone to spend hours a day deleting accounts. This is a never ending task.

What can we do about it?

There are ways and means of dealing with spammers at a lower level - before they ever get here. This would be implemented at the server level.

Why isn't anyone implementing those ways and means?

Sadly, there is no one with the time or ambition to take on the responsibility of making those changes at the server. The 'position' is open but the only individuals that would be considered must have Debian membership.

And so it is...

This sounds the death knell of forums.debian.net. Sad.
debian sid
jheaton5

Postby BioTube » 2011-09-02 20:03

For what it's worth, we stopped getting spam after installing the Sortables CAPTCHA(though it defaulting to a different language than the board makes questions a bit more annoying to add than they should be). I'm not claiming it's the final solution to the spambot question, but using the default CAPTCHA increases your vulnerability by quite a bit.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Postby vbrummond » 2011-09-03 06:23

Been a bit better lately. Still get spammers but I see them wiped off the map right before my eyes *just right now even*. Great job. :)
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby Tadeas » 2011-09-05 20:52

Captcha has difficult times nowadays, see http://decaptcher.com . They solve it by humans, they have like hundreds of Indians sitting by screens and cracking Captcha. So I'm afraid there's no real help, spam is simply going to increase in forthcoming months and years and nobody can do anything about it.
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.
Tadeas

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-09-05 21:42

Everything I reported lastley was deleted by the mods, so they do it right at the moment. :wink:
ivanovnegro

Postby Aled Owen » 2011-09-05 22:24

A site with a phpBB2 installation I worked on a few months back had quite a large spam problem, a solution may be to develop a bespoke CAPTCHA for this forum only, for example where 2 random numbers from 1-40 are generated and the user has to input the result of both numbers added together. So far on this particular forum it seems to have stopped all spambots, for now at least!

I have to be honest I've no idea how spambots work but since a lot of them seem to be automated I assume their scripts have written in them ways to crack particular open source anti-spam systems. Though correct me if I'm wrong.
Aled Owen

Postby Bulkley » 2011-09-05 23:37

Here's a new mod for phpbb. Spam Hammer: ends spam. period.

Modification Description: This MOD places simple restrictions on new users to prevent spammers from posting what they want: links. We no longer need annoying captchas, registration questions, and user moderation with this mod. We even enabled guest posting. See the full documentation and feature description here.

* Disables external links and bad words in posts, messages, signatures, and profiles until a user reaches a specified age and/or number of posts
* Own-site links are excluded from the filter, other sites can be added to a whitelist
* Configurable list of forbidden filter words, optionally show the user the trigger term
* Configurable unicode filters to prevent spam in languages not used in the forum
* Prevents 'sleeper agents' by disabling posts, signatures, and profiles for old accounts with 0 posts (optional)
* Zombie registration cleanup deletes old users with no posts (optional)
*Log of all filter actions (optional)
* Protections are 'automatically' disabled after the criteria are met (no moderation required)

This is worth a look see.
Bulkley

Postby Randicus » 2011-09-06 09:31

dandelion2011
Five posts in various sub-fora, but not in this one.
Perhaps this discussion scared her off. :lol:
Randicus

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-09-06 10:51

The best spammer till now was talking about the Debian development history, see topic, if not yet deleted: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=69931.
ivanovnegro

Postby saulgoode » 2011-09-06 13:21

ivanovnegro wrote:The best spammer till now was talking about the Debian development history, see topic, if not yet deleted: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=69931.

Yes, that post was removed because the user's signature contained several inappropriate links.

Here is the content of the removed post:
Debian development history

LAN Murdock in 1973, was born in Germany on April 28, the king of the city (Stan Konstanz, some). He is Debian GNU/Linux release, is also the founder of commercial Linux vendor Progeny the company's founder. At present he worked in Sun microsystem Microsystems, Inc, responsible for the operation of the system from platform development strategy. Before joining from the Ian Murdock, before is Linux Foundation (Linux Foundation) chief technology chief (CTO), and Linux platform interaction Standard (LSB) chairman of the Standard Base Linux.

Debian on August 16, 1993 by then also in purdue university to study the Ian Murdock first published. The Ian Murdock first put his system is called "Debian LinuxRelease". In the definition file Debian Manifesto, the Ian Murdock, said it would open source way, in line with Linux and the GNU spirit issued a set of the GNU/Linux distribution. The name of the Debian by his girlfriend (now his wife Debra) for his own name and the Ian Murdock merger and become.

The initial planning Debian develops slowly, in 1994 and 1995, respectively; 0.9 x version released 1. X version is released in 1996. In 1996, Bruce Perens took over from the Ian Murdock become the leader of the Debian plan. That same year, a developer Schuessler Ean in their plans offer Debian should be established between the user and a social contract. After some discussion, Bruce Perens published Debian social contract (Debian SocialContract) and Debian free software guide (Debian FreeSoftware Google), defines the Debian development of the basic commitments.

Under the GNU C in 1998 based on operation period of library Debian, Bruce Perens before release 2.0 left the Debian development work. Debian elected a new leader, and start released two other 2. X version, include more interface and software packages. APT and first the Debian GNU/Linux interface-Hurd development also started. The first building on Debian Linux distributions Corel Linux and Stormix Storm of Linux in 1999 to development. Despite failing to successful development, the two release became built on Debian Linux distributions pioneer.

In in late 2000, the Debian on the database and posted by the management make significant changes, it restructuring the process of collecting software, and created the "test" (testing) version as a stable on a demo of the next release. In the same year, the Debian developers start called the annual meeting, held Debconf for its developers and technology lectures and workshops provided with home.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan
saulgoode

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-09-06 13:45

^ Yeah, thanks for taking it into account. They seem to have better and more crazy ideas.
ivanovnegro

Postby eric1959 » 2011-09-06 13:57

Looking at the members list it looks like we have around 160 new members in the last 24 hours ! :roll:
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330
eric1959

Postby old_duffer » 2011-09-06 16:26

nvm
Last edited by old_duffer on 2011-09-06 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
old_duffer

Postby Bulkley » 2011-09-06 19:00

I have a better page about Spam Hammer. We are experimenting with it on the other forum I help with. What is attractive with Spam Hammer is that it requires very little attention after being set up.

I particularly like the Zombie registration purge which "deletes all users with 0 posts who are older than the minimum account age." I'm not sure what is the optimum time period but I do think that anyone who has not bothered to post by three months is either not interested or a sleeper spammer. As I understand it, this will not be a problem for a regular poster who is away for a while.
Bulkley

PreviousNext

Return to Forum stuff & feedback