Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WTF with the spam?!

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
vbrummond

Re: WTF with the spam?!

#16 Post by vbrummond »

Just do not draft any mods from... that other place on the net. :P

But yeah. They are on top of the spam; just report it and dont reply to it.
Always on Debian Testing

ComputerBob

#17 Post by ComputerBob »

cynwulf wrote:...

As far as I know the main problem here is the weak captcha system in use and the fact that spammer/bot accounts are not systematically removed and banned - meaning that in many cases they can simply come back again and again.

Personally the spam doesn't bother me... those dealing with it do a good enough job of "fire-fighting". The alternative is more staff - which equals more people with time on their hands breathing down members' necks - yes you'll have a cleaner board, but also a much more oppressive one.

The morale of this is - be happy with what you're got and stop moaning about the spam...
Didn't you read this thread? Many people have already described several more-effective alternatives to handle spam without the oppression that you described.

And no one's moaning -- just looking for solutions.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

JohnDeere730

#18 Post by JohnDeere730 »

vbrummond wrote:Just do not draft any mods from... that other place on the net. :P
I agree...those bastards. :lol: :mrgreen:

cynwulf

#19 Post by cynwulf »

ComputerBob wrote:Didn't you read this thread?
Yes - did you read the other thread and in particular this post? http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 60#p391860
JohnDeere730 wrote:I agree...those bastards. :lol: :mrgreen:
No, I'm sure he's referring to butnut forums as there's no moderators at the other place...

There are no moderators I tell you!

ComputerBob

#20 Post by ComputerBob »

cynwulf wrote:
Yes - did you read the other thread and in particular this post? http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 60#p391860
Oh, now I get it. You're saying that you posted in this thread today, to reply to a post that mzlilikazi posted in a completely different thread over 5 months ago. :roll:
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

JohnDeere730

#21 Post by JohnDeere730 »

cynwulf wrote:
JohnDeere730 wrote:I agree...those bastards. :lol: :mrgreen:
No, I'm sure he's referring to butnut forums as there's no moderators at the other place...

There are no moderators I tell you!
:lol: Those lazy bastards! How dare they refuse to wield the mighty Cosmic Mod-hammer of Greyskull. The entire cosmic balance will be broken....somebody do something!! :lol:

Sorry, I'm way off-topic....I know he was referring to that other other place...carry on. :mrgreen:

cynwulf

#22 Post by cynwulf »

ComputerBob wrote:
cynwulf wrote:
Oh, now I get it. You're saying that you posted in this thread today, to reply to a post that mzlilikazi posted in a completely different thread over 5 months ago. :roll:
That's right! :D

ComputerBob

#23 Post by ComputerBob »

cynwulf wrote:
ComputerBob wrote:Oh, now I get it. You're saying that you posted in this thread today, to reply to a post that mzlilikazi posted in a completely different thread over 5 months ago. :roll:
That's right! :D
OK.
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

nadir

#24 Post by nadir »

vbrummond wrote:I dunno how many mods there are but whoever you all are you crush the spam pretty quick. Thanks.
To me it looks as if there would be one active spamhunter, 4D696B65, who does a very good job (like in: spam gets removed quickly), and one active moderator, craigevil (i would not know if a moderator also does spamhunting, i guess yes. If so it might be they both do a good job, or one does a good, the other not, or both do a bit, and to me it looks like a good job altogether). But perhaps i am missing some active ones ( because they are logged in invisible, or for what reason ever).
If i am right in saying that there is only one active moderator than i got a proof that a forum can work without moderation at all
(there are forums where each sub-forum has a handful of moderators. Seen that way one moderator is close to having none at all. Ok, i am dreaming. Dare i? ).

spam. well. it sucks.

The most short version i can offer:
4D696B65, thanks a lot.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

cynwulf

#25 Post by cynwulf »

nadir wrote:To me it looks as if there would be one active spamhunter, 4D696B65, who does a very good job (like in: spam gets removed quickly), and one active moderator, craigevil (i would not know if a moderator also does spamhunting, i guess yes. If so it might be they both do a good job, or one does a good, the other not, or both do a bit, and to me it looks like a good job altogether). But perhaps i am missing some active ones ( because they are logged in invisible, or for what reason ever).
If i am right in saying that there is only one active moderator than i got a proof that a forum can work without moderation at all
(there are forums where each sub-forum has a handful of moderators. Seen that way one moderator is close to having none at all. Ok, i am dreaming. Dare i? ).

spam. well. it sucks.
A fair assessment. There are solutions to the spam problem. We could argue for days (another 9 page thread to nowhere) about what form any possible solutions would take, but the fact remains that the admin don't want to do it, so any proposals are probably a waste of time. If they change their minds that would be a good thing, but until then:
nadir wrote:The most short version i can offer:
4D696B65, thanks a lot.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

cynwulf wrote:
nadir wrote:spam. well. it sucks.
A fair assessment. There are solutions to the spam problem. We could argue for days (another 9 page thread to nowhere) about what form any possible solutions would take, but the fact remains that the admin don't want to do it, so any proposals are probably a waste of time. If they change their minds that would be a good thing, but until then:
nadir wrote:The most short version i can offer:
4D696B65, thanks a lot.
+1
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

llivv

#27 Post by llivv »

ComputerBob wrote:And no one's moaning -- just looking for solutions.
You must not have read any of my recent articles.
Starting with this one.

Moaning Moaning Moaning
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

cynwulf

#28 Post by cynwulf »

It's "I, Spambot"...

The problem with bitching here is that nothing will be done as a result. If anyone cares about getting the spam situation resolved, or at least improved, email the admin using the "established method" - maybe they'll make some of you into new spamhunters or even mods...?

:roll:

Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

#29 Post by Mez »

Switched to reCaptcha.

cynwulf

#30 Post by cynwulf »

Mez wrote:Switched to reCaptcha.
Might make a difference - fingers crossed eh...

dasein

#31 Post by dasein »

cynwulf wrote:Might make a difference - fingers crossed eh...
It did... there was more spam than usual when the board came back up. :(

cynwulf

#32 Post by cynwulf »

In all fairness there was one that I noticed and that one had registered before recaptcha was enabled...

Mez

#33 Post by Mez »

cynwulf wrote:In all fairness there was one that I noticed and that one had registered before recaptcha was enabled...
Yup - there was that one (and I just got rid of that lot!

I've just been through and closed all open reports (dealing with them as neccesary)

ComputerBob

#34 Post by ComputerBob »

Mez wrote:Switched to reCaptcha.
Thank you!
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

cynwulf

#35 Post by cynwulf »

recaptcha is not up to the job.

Have a look here: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/modif ... ti-spam-9/