Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WTF with the spam?!

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
cynwulf

Re: WTF with the spam?!

#76 Post by cynwulf »

In such cases you need to email the mighty administrators... makes a lot more sense than spending ones time reporting 51+ posts...

cra1g321

#77 Post by cra1g321 »

cynwulf wrote:In such cases you need to email the mighty administrators... makes a lot more sense than spending ones time reporting 51+ posts...
Indeed, I just made a little game out of it, wanted to see what and when the spambot posted.

Is there any "Spam Hunters" active on the forum :?:

deltaflyer

#78 Post by deltaflyer »

cra1g321 wrote:
Is there any "Spam Hunters" active on the forum :?:
i'm here on a daily basis :wink:
free your computer,use opensource

cra1g321

#79 Post by cra1g321 »

Hey there :D

You shouldn't of answered, now I know who to send PM's to whenever i find a spammer :wink: :lol:

I found a spambot there, but looking at the recent posts page, it seems you have already taken care of it.

On the staff page it showed a couple of members for "Spam Hunters" but wasn't sure if you guys where active, because some profiles have 'Last seen' set to hidden.

deltaflyer

#80 Post by deltaflyer »

cra1g321 wrote:Hey there :D

You shouldn't of answered, now I know who to send PM's to whenever i find a spammer :wink: :lol:

I found a spambot there, but looking at the recent posts page, it seems you have already taken care of it.

On the staff page it showed a couple of members for "Spam Hunters" but wasn't sure if you guys where active, because some profiles have 'Last seen' set to hidden.
send all you like, all help is greatly accepted when hunting spam, i tend to remain hidden,so spammers don't know i'm about,but i'll unhide from now
free your computer,use opensource

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#81 Post by 4D696B65 »

I am here every day too. I removed the spam you reported minutes ago. :D

cra1g321

#82 Post by cra1g321 »

I wouldn't mind helping out, I'm usually on my pc 24/7 anyway and the Debian user forum has become the main linux forum I visit these days.
I've taken a strong interest in Debian now that I'm not distro-hopping all the time :lol: , so I'm often reading posts on the forum so I can hopefully learn more :wink:
Did the same for ubuntu and linux mint whenever I first started using a linux as my main OS.

cra1g321

#83 Post by cra1g321 »

4D696B65 wrote:

I am here every day too. I removed the spam you reported minutes ago. :D
haha your all coming out of your hiding spots now :lol: :wink:

just kidding, thanks :)

Randicus

#84 Post by Randicus »

cra1g321 wrote:Are there any "Spam Hunters" active on the forum :?:
Who did you think was removing spam? The Spam Fairy? :lol:
The spam hunters are very active, :D but the spammers are more active. :( But that is another story.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#85 Post by 4D696B65 »

Randicus wrote: Who did you think was removing spam? The Spam Fairy? :lol:
LMAO :lol:
Randicus wrote:The spam hunters are very active, :D but the spammers are more active. :(
Spam Hunters are human, Spammers are bots. It's hard to keep up.

cynwulf

#86 Post by cynwulf »

Some great offers today - better snap up a fake rolex, while stocks last...

dasein

#87 Post by dasein »

Just saw a spam that referred to some misinformation as "apocryphal."

Spam as a vocabulary builder?

(Hey, at least they spelled it right!)

Randicus

#88 Post by Randicus »

It is nice to see, in a somewhat twisted sense, a forum other that DFN get deluged with spam. LinuxQuestions was just hit by a spammer that posted in every sub-forum. Unlike here, where the usual is offered: handbags, watches, et cetera, the scum at LQ are peddling
Best Quality Fake passports and others fake document for sale

We are the best producer of quality fake documents. With over 12million of out documents circulating over the world.
:shock:
I guess it does not occur to them that putting this kind of information (along with e-mail and telephone contact details) on a public forum with thousands of visitors a day, could make it easier for the police to find them. :roll:

Perhaps we should be happy with spammers selling fake handbags?
Uh, maybe not.

dasein

#89 Post by dasein »

Today we were treated to forum spam that advertised an email anti-spam solution.

Which leaves one to wonder why the spammer imagined that spam was an effective advertising method. :roll:

ComputerBob

#90 Post by ComputerBob »

Randicus wrote:It is nice to see, in a somewhat twisted sense, a forum other that DFN get deluged with spam. LinuxQuestions was just hit by a spammer that posted in every sub-forum. Unlike here, where the usual is offered: handbags, watches, et cetera, the scum at LQ are peddling
Best Quality Fake passports and others fake document for sale

We are the best producer of quality fake documents. With over 12million of out documents circulating over the world.
They also posted in these forums last week.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Randicus

#91 Post by Randicus »

They also posted in these forums last week.
I missed that one. The spam hunters were too quick that day. :lol:

craigevil

#92 Post by craigevil »

not sure about the spam hunters or other mods, but since yesterday when I attempt to ban a spammer all I get is a blank page.

I tried several browsers including Iceweasel with a clean profile, Qupzilla, Chrome, Firefox, Konqueror, same result just a blank page.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#93 Post by 4D696B65 »

craigevil wrote:not sure about the spam hunters or other mods, but since yesterday when I attempt to ban a spammer all I get is a blank page.

I tried several browsers including Iceweasel with a clean profile, Qupzilla, Chrome, Firefox, Konqueror, same result just a blank page.
Same thing is happening to me.

dasein

#94 Post by dasein »

This can't be good.

craigevil

#95 Post by craigevil »

4D696B65 wrote:
craigevil wrote:not sure about the spam hunters or other mods, but since yesterday when I attempt to ban a spammer all I get is a blank page.

Same thing is happening to me.
Sent an email to the admins, for all the good that might do. Seems they all vanished from the face of the earth.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list