WTF with the spam?!

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby Randicus » 2012-08-20 21:48

They also posted in these forums last week.

I missed that one. The spam hunters were too quick that day. :lol:
Randicus
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: 2011-05-08 09:11

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby craigevil » 2012-08-21 03:09

not sure about the spam hunters or other mods, but since yesterday when I attempt to ban a spammer all I get is a blank page.

I tried several browsers including Iceweasel with a clean profile, Qupzilla, Chrome, Firefox, Konqueror, same result just a blank page.
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
User avatar
craigevil
 
Posts: 5192
Joined: 2006-09-17 03:17
Location: Oz

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby 4D696B65 » 2012-08-21 03:14

craigevil wrote:not sure about the spam hunters or other mods, but since yesterday when I attempt to ban a spammer all I get is a blank page.

I tried several browsers including Iceweasel with a clean profile, Qupzilla, Chrome, Firefox, Konqueror, same result just a blank page.

Same thing is happening to me.
User avatar
4D696B65
 
Posts: 2515
Joined: 2009-06-28 06:09

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby dasein » 2012-08-21 03:45

This can't be good.
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7775
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby craigevil » 2012-08-21 04:04

4D696B65 wrote:
craigevil wrote:not sure about the spam hunters or other mods, but since yesterday when I attempt to ban a spammer all I get is a blank page.

I tried several browsers including Iceweasel with a clean profile, Qupzilla, Chrome, Firefox, Konqueror, same result just a blank page.

Same thing is happening to me.


Sent an email to the admins, for all the good that might do. Seems they all vanished from the face of the earth.
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
User avatar
craigevil
 
Posts: 5192
Joined: 2006-09-17 03:17
Location: Oz

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby 4D696B65 » 2012-08-21 04:09

craigevil wrote:
4D696B65 wrote:
craigevil wrote:not sure about the spam hunters or other mods, but since yesterday when I attempt to ban a spammer all I get is a blank page.

I tried several browsers including Iceweasel with a clean profile, Qupzilla, Chrome, Firefox, Konqueror, same result just a blank page.

Same thing is happening to me.


Sent an email to the admins.

OK good. thanks.
User avatar
4D696B65
 
Posts: 2515
Joined: 2009-06-28 06:09

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby nadir » 2012-08-21 19:52

craigevil wrote: Seems they all vanished from the face of the earth.

Are that good or bad news?
Looks like as soon humans start to administer, organize, moderate,... things go south. Well: i guess someone has to remove the spam...(and then he wants to do more, then more, then more.... all in the very best interest of Mr-XYZ, aka everyone)

Oh, i am fine with spam. Not much i see at all. Ignore the above.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
User avatar
nadir
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: 2009-10-05 22:06
Location: away

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby arochester » 2012-09-25 10:02

There is an interesting post on Kubuntu Forums "Spam-O-Matic - Spam Firewall stops forum spam" - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042
arochester
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: 2010-12-07 19:55

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby Pelly » 2012-12-26 10:40

It seems like that the spammers came back. I posted in the general questions forum, and I checked it for answers, but I saw spam threads instead of an answer.
User avatar
Pelly
 
Posts: 145
Joined: 2012-11-16 17:49

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby Randicus » 2012-12-26 10:54

They never left. There have been fewer later, but they are always around. I see spam threads almost every day. Fortunately, only a few.
Randicus
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: 2011-05-08 09:11

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby Pelly » 2013-01-05 20:41

Somebody posted spam in my thread!
User avatar
Pelly
 
Posts: 145
Joined: 2012-11-16 17:49

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby confuseling » 2013-01-05 23:00

There is a report button - the most useful thing you can do is press that and wait.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here
confuseling
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: 2009-10-21 01:03

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby dasein » 2013-01-09 02:58

Are the spamhunters MIA? I've not seen this much spam accumulated without attention in a very long time. (Over two dozen threads and counting.)
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7775
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby Randicus » 2013-01-09 03:25

There is only so much they can do. With the thousands of spammers registered and waiting, such as 100qpdayloanss, Lifeway138, fixtaxes81, it does not take a long break in coverage for spam accumulate. The only thing that surprises me is that this situation does not happen more often.
Randicus
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: 2011-05-08 09:11

Re: WTF with the spam?!

Postby nadir » 2013-01-09 05:26

dasein wrote:Are the spamhunters MIA? I've not seen this much spam accumulated without attention in a very long time. (Over two dozen threads and counting.)

Just in case anyone doesn't know:
Just like everyone else the spamhunter are volunteers.
They do what the do when they got time and interest in doing it.
It's not your personal army (in case you prefer /b/ sp33k: NYPA).

* We all are volunteers.

o You cannot impose on others what to do.


zless /usr/share/doc/maint-guide/maint-guide.en.txt.gz (social dynamics of Debian)

Go to IRC and ask to become a spamhunter, in case you are not happy. Or send an email to the team. Pointing out each and every observation related to spammers in this thread is, obviously, pointless. ("Oh, ah, uh. I saw a spammer. Let me quickly post it in the thread)).
And much better: go away.

I for one still think that they do it perfect. And complaining in such a manner impertinent. To put it different: kudos to the magic-stick-gang.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
User avatar
nadir
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: 2009-10-05 22:06
Location: away

PreviousNext

Return to Forum stuff & feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

fashionable