Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How would you improve this forum?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

How would you improve this forum?

#1 Post by Mez »

What would you do to improve this forum?

Note: Saying "Get rid of Spam" or "Get rid of Trolls" isn't going to make any difference - if we could - we'd have done so - but we fight the long fight.

Also, this is not an opportunity to start a flame war - or to raise complaints about staff :)

vbrummond

Re: How would you improve this forum?

#2 Post by vbrummond »

All I noticed really (havent checked since it was back up) is that polls and attachments do not work for me. The latter is no problem and the former might be due to me using the "debian red" theme.
Always on Debian Testing

Tadeas

#3 Post by Tadeas »

Polls don't work for me, too. Generally more moderators (and/or administrators) hanging around wouldn't hurt. There was very little spam or flamewars here when Lavene was active and the forums were better place to be :) .
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

nadir

#4 Post by nadir »

What i would propose is written in my signature. And yes, i know it will not happen, but you have asked.

( i got no idea why. It works there, in i2p, it works at diaspora, it works in freenet. To a certain degree it has worked here too, and in fact it still does work to a certain degree, cause there is only one moderator left, as far i can tell, and he is rather laissez-faire ).

Besides that ? Dunno. All looks good. People post question, people post answers, people tell stories. What more can one expect?
It usually is better to do nothing than to do the wrong thing (for the only reason to "do something" ).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

vbrummond

#5 Post by vbrummond »

nadir wrote:Besides that ? Dunno. All looks good. People post question, people post answers, people tell stories. What more can one expect?
It usually is better to do nothing than to do the wrong thing (for the only reason to "do something" ).
Pretty much. :)
Always on Debian Testing

meon

#6 Post by meon »

Changing My board style in Board preferences to prosilver made polls work for me. Guess there is something wrong with some themes. So a fix for that would be nice!

nadir

#7 Post by nadir »

Per coincidence i ran into an article about cybercensorship (by reporters without borders, report for 2012 ). I followed the link where i found it, dyne.org, and a typo send me to dyne.org/chat, hinezumi.im There it says:
"The language can be pretty much that of the Internet lulz, so be prepared to all kinds of unmoderated and uncensored stuff ;^)"
What i say (or ask for) is much less insane than it seems at first glance. It ain't even unusual. Forums (and especially free software forums) are the exception on the internet, not the usual way to do it. Ok, ok: that is the way how i (want to ) see it. My problem is that i feel like a Marsian (something which makes perfect sense to me, full free speech, seems to make sense _only to me).
Back to the theme settings now...

craigevil

#8 Post by craigevil »

Make the forum work with the Tapatalk app. I for one use my phone or my Kindle Fire more than I do my laptop these days. it would be nice to be able to use Tapatalk for the forum. The "other" debianusersforum is setup so Tapatalk works there.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

julian516

#9 Post by julian516 »

Well at least to this point we do not sound like a desperately unhappy lot!

I guess if I could I would try to clean up some of the language I find distasteful, vulgarities and obscenities do not do much for me.

Are there ways to make our search tool more flexible? I have looked several times for a thread that would solve my problem and just missed it; either I get 3,000 hits or none.

There is a lot here that is right and I appreciate it.

confuseling

#10 Post by confuseling »

1) Search is a major issue. I would submit that you should upgrade it, or just disable it entirely, and replace it with a link to instructions explaining how to use Google to search the forum.

You cannot expect new users to realise that the following is a restriction in the forum software, and it leads to a lot of duplicate posts and regular user angst. I know I wouldn't have known what to do when I started.

http://forums.debian.net/search.php?keywords=usb

2) The HowTos section has an immense wealth of useful information, and quite a lot of cruft. I'm wondering whether something like voting (restricted to that section) would help.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

mharrison

#11 Post by mharrison »

craigevil wrote:Make the forum work with the Tapatalk app. I for one use my phone or my Kindle Fire more than I do my laptop these days. it would be nice to be able to use Tapatalk for the forum. The "other" debianusersforum is setup so Tapatalk works there.

+1 for Tapatalk

sossego

#12 Post by sossego »

Advertise the forums on individual blogs or other sites through references to items/posts/threads on here.
Allow tutorials that are viewed the most to be posted as articles on a blog that complements the forum.
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.

llivv

#13 Post by llivv »

This is sorta gestault. Not really thinking to hard, and I don't necessarily adhere to transnationalism or gestault princples as a whole either.

Perhaps a few subsections dedicated to rants and/or apologies, etc?
Or more community gossip sections?
This board gets a lot of abuse, while offering a unique experience for users of all shapes and kinds.

I think some of us wish that Debian project/community guidelines were expressed a bit more often in this forum.
Especially, why so many subprojects use it as a [base].

Thanks for having me!
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Randicus

#14 Post by Randicus »

The How-to section is getting a little long, but has no structure. At present, items are arranged in chronological order based on the most recent posts. It might be advantageous to divide the section into three or four categories, to make searching for relevant how-tos easier.

saulgoode

#15 Post by saulgoode »

I feel that the prohibition against "political discussions", as expressed in the forum guidelines, is too broadly stated; and should be qualified so as only to address partisan or nationalistic political discussions. As others have pointed out, the Free Software community is intimately confronted by issues of copyright, patent, and privacy legislation and enforcement, and to proscribe against discussion of those issues in the forums leaves an important area of concern for many Debian users unaddressed.

For the most part, I believe what I propose is the interpretation that the forum staff has observed; nonetheless, the wording leaves the members reluctant to engage in discussions that would otherwise be of benefit to the community.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

JohnDeere730

#16 Post by JohnDeere730 »

saulgoode wrote:I feel that the prohibition against "political discussions", as expressed in the forum guidelines, is too broadly stated; and should be qualified so as only to address partisan or nationalistic political discussions. As others have pointed out, the Free Software community is intimately confronted by issues of copyright, patent, and privacy legislation and enforcement, and to proscribe against discussion of those issues in the forums leaves an important area of concern for many Debian users unaddressed.

For the most part, I believe what I propose is the interpretation that the forum staff has observed; nonetheless, the wording leaves the members reluctant to engage in discussions that would otherwise be of benefit to the community.
+1

nadir

#17 Post by nadir »

Would it be too early to ask if this thread was just chat?

edbarx

#18 Post by edbarx »

By a total enforcement of the rules and by banning arrogant posters who refuse to behave like civilised forum members.

@ Admins
Your effort is greatly appreciated.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

nadir

#19 Post by nadir »

edbarx wrote:By a total enforcement of the rules and by banning arrogant posters who refuse to behave like civilised forum members.

@ Admins
Your effort is greatly appreciated.
I guess you mean civilized like you, who posted a pm you got from an admin, Ana, in a public thread, where you complained about you not being a spamhunter?
Then you were banned, and it took some effort by other forum members to take the ban back.
Just in case you don't remember. I do.
Shesh.

edbarx

#20 Post by edbarx »

The contents of the letter mentioned had nothing personal as it was a reply I was not accepted as a spamhunter. Furthermore, in court, one does not simply comment about the contents of letters, but also produces them as proof. The latter, was the reason why I produced the letter, as I could have said anything without the actual proof of producing it.

However, the mentioned admin interpreted my posting of the letter as an insult and not as a proof that what I was claiming in the mentioned post was true. Finally, where I live, making claims and accusations without producing the evidence is considered as making unsustainable claims.

I would have agreed had the letter been unrelated with the administration of this forum, but in reality, this was never the case, and that is the second reason why I posted it.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.