Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How would you improve this forum?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
hadrons123

Re: How would you improve this forum?

#46 Post by hadrons123 »

@cynwulf
About Workload : hire more people. Debian forums has more registration of new members in a single day second only to ubuntu.So More members on the roll.Call out for hiring!.( Offcourse its going to be volunteers. No one will be paid, I know.) There are 47 mods in ubuntu. We have only handful of people right now to moderate this great distro.
Initially I hated the rules in arch linux forums. I felt it too arrogant. But honestly , I saw more cultured and wise people in Arch forums. People do their homework, before posting a thread for support. On the contrary Debian says 'RTFM' type of talk is not allowed. But as far I have seen no one has been or shall be ridiculed in Arch linux forums when you show the willingness to learn. Newbies most likely be harassed only when they demand for help rather than trying to learn. That attitude comes to people , I don't know maybe after using Ubuntu.The number of active threads per day in Arch is higher than fedora and Debian inspite of no ranting and very less off-topic and too much schooling. But debian is a more polished distro, so less breakages on the whole, as the need for support is comparatively less. But forums has to be a place where people can get tech support and not a lobby for hang-out and rant.
Also that type of board assumes the participants aren't adults, but idiots... the more you hold people's hands the stupider they get and the more stupid people join... those capable of independent though (hint: they tend to be the more useful members) leave... the end result is a forum full of copy and paste artists and trolls - and because there are more rules, users are far more likely to break them... it's a vicious cycle.
I don't get which one you are reffering to. But better give me an example. Becoz the FreeBSD and Arch linux are more strict in their ways they run the forums with more rules, but their threads are very informative.

I honestly think Debian has lot of potential than any other linux distros out there. But making this forum a better place would definitely would bring more people using this distro. I would be happy to volunteer !
LENOVO Y580 CORE i7 3630QM|8 GB RAM |16GB Sandisk SSD| Debian, Fedora, ARCH

Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

MALsPa

#47 Post by MALsPa »

Mez wrote:What would you do to improve this forum?
Provide a preview of the original post when the cursor hovers over the topic title.

Randicus

#48 Post by Randicus »

hadrons123 wrote:Debian forums has more registration of new members in a single day second only to ubuntu.So More members on the roll.Call out for hiring!.
The problem is, most of the "new members" are spammers.

As for potential staff, look through the threads and observed who is posting. How many "active" members are there? There are a few people who post every day, a few more who post occasionally, and a few more who seldom post. There are probably only about a dozen daily posters (and I do not count, because I do not have enough knowledge to be very helpful) and another dozen regulars.

Again, until the administrators take enough interest to install spam-fighting software, no one will volunteer for a housekeeping job. I would volunteer my time to be a moderator or spam hunter, if it would do any good. But it would not, with an absent group of administrators who do not feel the forum is worthy of attention, even the small amount of attention required to tackle the spam problem.
People will volunteer to bail water out of a leaking ship if the leaks are being sealed, but they will not volunteer to bail on a sinking ship when the captain is sitting in a pub on shore.

MALsPA wrote,
Provide a preview of the original post when the cursor hovers over the topic title.
That is a good idea. I find it very helpful on other fora.

hadrons123

#49 Post by hadrons123 »

@randicus.
Too bad for the debianforums, if what you say is true.
Really sucks!
LENOVO Y580 CORE i7 3630QM|8 GB RAM |16GB Sandisk SSD| Debian, Fedora, ARCH

Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

cynwulf

#50 Post by cynwulf »

hadrons123 wrote:@cynwulf
About Workload : hire more people.
The administration don't care - thus people are not getting "hired"...
hadrons123 wrote:Debian forums has more registration of new members in a single day second only to ubuntu.
Most are spambots... http://forums.debian.net/memberlist.php ... memberlist
hadrons123 wrote:There are 47 mods in ubuntu. We have only handful of people right now to moderate this great distro.
More people are not needed, what is needed is more help from the administration. Two mods and a few spamhunters are enough. Although I disagree with cragievil's ban of sossego, I do accept that the moderators are volunteers who do not seem to be getting much support from the administration. This has been the case for quite a while... it may also explain why so many staff have left in the last few years?
hadrons123 wrote:But as far I have seen no one has been or shall be ridiculed in Arch linux forums when you show the willingness to learn.
The same goes for this forum.
hadrons123 wrote:Newbies most likely be harassed only when they demand for help rather than trying to learn. That attitude comes to people , I don't know maybe after using Ubuntu.
Precisely - and that's how it is here.
hadrons123 wrote:The number of active threads per day in Arch is higher than fedora and Debian inspite of no ranting and very less off-topic and too much schooling. But debian is a more polished distro, so less breakages on the whole, as the need for support is comparatively less.
Debian is more stable distro, but apart from that - I agree completely.
hadrons123 wrote:But forums has to be a place where people can get tech support and not a lobby for hang-out and rant.
People are getting "tech support". This is the "feedback forums", feedback was requested and given.
hadrons123 wrote:I honestly think Debian has lot of potential than any other linux distros out there. But making this forum a better place would definitely would bring more people using this distro. I would be happy to volunteer !
Except your proposals won't make this forum a better place... and are pointless anyway when the admins have made it clear they're not interested.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to wish bestpharmacystore a happy 41st birthday.... oh and vbrummond (22) as well...

vbrummond

#51 Post by vbrummond »

cynwulf wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to wish bestpharmacystore a happy 41st birthday.... oh and vbrummond (22) as well...
Haha, thanks very much. :mrgreen:
Always on Debian Testing

nadir

#53 Post by nadir »

hadrons123 wrote:What is the purpose of the debian forum?
There should be definition of what it is and what it is not.
Put the fun back in computing. No?

The more i hear about arschlinux, the less i like it.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

confuseling

#54 Post by confuseling »

Yes, that was more bloody drama. I was tired, had a few drinks, stressed at work.

I just find the whole thing sad, because clearly a lot of people care about this forum a great deal.

Sorry all, have fun...
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

vbrummond

#55 Post by vbrummond »

dasein wrote:Happy Birthday, vb!
Thank you!
Always on Debian Testing

caulfield

#56 Post by caulfield »

What i was thinking was having some sort of a cafe, a subforum dedicated to "hanging out" and building a community feeling even with us, technically less equipped. I think that one subforum like that wouldn't overload things. Hope it's not a too dumb suggestion, i'm not trying to make anyone feel idiotic.

best wishes!
"Smokey, this is not 'nam, this is bowling. There are rules!"

golinux

#57 Post by golinux »

caulfield wrote:What i was thinking was having some sort of a cafe, a subforum dedicated to "hanging out" and building a community feeling even with us, technically less equipped. I think that one subforum like that wouldn't overload things. Hope it's not a too dumb suggestion, i'm not trying to make anyone feel idiotic.
Good lord . . . they have a Gerber section here for the 'technically less equipped' so why not a social place too? . . . erm . . . because it isn't a very tolerant social environment that can't handle Sossego's flights of fancy or Ahtiga's paranoia or . . .
May the FORK be with you!

golinux

#58 Post by golinux »

dasein wrote:Happy Birthday, vb!
He's such a pup!

Randicus

#59 Post by Randicus »

caulfield wrote:What i was thinking was having some sort of a cafe, a subforum dedicated to "hanging out" and building a community feeling even with us, technically less equipped. I think that one subforum like that wouldn't overload things. Hope it's not a too dumb suggestion, i'm not trying to make anyone feel idiotic.

best wishes!
The Off-Topic sub-forum could easily be that. Since there is a sub-forum for general discussion, make off-topic exactly that. There is no need to restrict it to computer-related topics. Doing so, in realty, means there are two sub-fora for general discussion of computer issues. Why? Let Off-Topic be a place for leisurely discussion of whatever interests people.

JohnDeere730

#60 Post by JohnDeere730 »

Randicus wrote:

best wishes!
The Off-Topic sub-forum could easily be that. Since there is a sub-forum for general discussion, make off-topic exactly that. There is no need to restrict it to computer-related topics. Doing so, in realty, means there are two sub-fora for general discussion of computer issues. Why? Let Off-Topic be a place for leisurely discussion of whatever interests people.
Eureka! What a concept....a place where you will not be scolded for being off-topic in a sub-forum titled.....wait for it......"OFF-TOPIC"......Now why didn't I think of that? Oh, wait, I did; about 5 years ago. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm still waiting with bated breath. Of course, in a few more years, I'll be waiting with no breath at all 'coz I'll be dead of old age. You dewy-eyed youngsters crack me up :lol: This whole thread is an exercise in futility and impotence, but what the hell; it's a slow night at the ol' homestead.

Randicus

#61 Post by Randicus »

JohnDeere730 wrote:This whole thread is an exercise in futility and impotence, but what the hell; it's a slow night at the ol' homestead.
This thread provides the members with an outlet, so they do not disrupt the rest of the forum with off-topic discussions, highjacking threads, spam and rhymes.

One of the Mighty descended from his throne and briefly walked amongst the masses.
He asked for suggestions to help the Might Ones rule the realm.
He then put the plugs back in his ears and returned to the throne.
The court jester cried, "Anon. Didst I hearest a murmur?"
The sheriff quickly cried foul and sent the jester into exile.
Now the Mighty One is afraid to return, because the wolf and the tractor are on the prowl.

golinux

#62 Post by golinux »

Randicus wrote:One of the Mighty descended from his throne and briefly walked amongst the masses.
He asked for suggestions to help the Might Ones rule the realm.
He then put the plugs back in his ears and returned to the throne.
The court jester cried, "Anon. Didst I hearest a murmur?"
The sheriff quickly cried foul and sent the jester into exile.
Now the Mighty One is afraid to return, because the wolf and the tractor are on the prowl.
That's just too subversive (and very funny)! Maybe Mez will return to take away your keyboard!?

nadir

#63 Post by nadir »

best wishes!
I think this is a very good idea.

long version:
In the past this board looked exactly like this to me, hanging out, building a community. I liked it. I never felt it being a problem that i was a newbie, not technically informed. All kind of fun happened. You are right, it would help getting to know to each other.
I can see no problem if people want to talk in off-topic about, say: soccer, films, music. Nonsense too? Whatever.
For something similar to what i have experienced here i am searching (but haven't really found it yet).

I never had (or have) the feeling that people who are "technically less equipped" were not welcome here, at forums.debian.net (in general. I happens, sure, strange people you meet everywhere. Ignore them, there are enough who try to help in a friendly way).
That would be horrible, imho (and i know such boards, and i left them pretty quick).

greetings.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

dasein

#64 Post by dasein »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

priceless that this thread got spammed

valdez25

#65 Post by valdez25 »

Make your forum interesting??