Search function

Have something to say about forums.debian.net itself?

Search function

Postby jlinkels » 2012-04-03 01:16

Hello,

When I search using this key: +laptop +power about 1101 results are being returned. When I try to refine that result and enter a new search key +laptop +power +sys, I get exactly the same results, that is, not restricted to results which include sys as well. Why is that?

jlinkels

PS. When I am searching for something for which I don' t exactly know what key yields the best results, and hence I repeat some searches one quick after another often I receive a message: Search is not possible now, please try again in a few minutes. Is there a minimum time between searches? For a registered member? Do you really prefer people posting even if the answer can readily be found because 3 searches in a minute are too much?
jlinkels

Re: Search function

Postby emariz » 2012-04-03 01:24

The search function might ignore words of less than four letters. Try the following search pattern in Google: site:forums.debian.net "laptop" "power" "sys"
I get those time-related all the time too, but it works if I try again once or twice. I do doubt that there is a time limit between searches.
emariz

Postby Randicus » 2012-04-03 01:38

jlinkels wrote:Search is not possible now, please try again in a few minutes.

Perhaps the search feature has reached the limit of its resources, because several people are using it (a.k.a. busy).
Randicus

Postby dasein » 2012-04-03 01:46

emariz wrote:Try the following search pattern in Google: site:forums.debian.net...

+1

The "built-in" search functions at most forums (and most Web sites in general) are really crappy. It makes much more sense to get into the habit of using Google to do a site-specific search.
dasein

Return to Forum stuff & feedback