Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Search function

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
jlinkels

Search function

#1 Post by jlinkels »

Hello,

When I search using this key: +laptop +power about 1101 results are being returned. When I try to refine that result and enter a new search key +laptop +power +sys, I get exactly the same results, that is, not restricted to results which include sys as well. Why is that?

jlinkels

PS. When I am searching for something for which I don' t exactly know what key yields the best results, and hence I repeat some searches one quick after another often I receive a message: Search is not possible now, please try again in a few minutes. Is there a minimum time between searches? For a registered member? Do you really prefer people posting even if the answer can readily be found because 3 searches in a minute are too much?

emariz

Re: Search function

#2 Post by emariz »

The search function might ignore words of less than four letters. Try the following search pattern in Google: site:forums.debian.net "laptop" "power" "sys"
I get those time-related all the time too, but it works if I try again once or twice. I do doubt that there is a time limit between searches.

Randicus

#3 Post by Randicus »

jlinkels wrote:Search is not possible now, please try again in a few minutes.
Perhaps the search feature has reached the limit of its resources, because several people are using it (a.k.a. busy).

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

emariz wrote:Try the following search pattern in Google: site:forums.debian.net...
+1

The "built-in" search functions at most forums (and most Web sites in general) are really crappy. It makes much more sense to get into the habit of using Google to do a site-specific search.