Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Last post

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
cynwulf

Re: Last post

#41 Post by cynwulf »

richard1558 wrote:They have pointed out that a mixed system is a mess, and that they can't/wont help you with that.
Incorrect. Most of the inhabitants will help someone with a mixed system - if they are actually running a mixed system.

A mixed system is: testing + unstable (+ experimental)

A mixed system is not: stable + testing (+ unstable + experimental + stable backports) as the OP seemed to think...

If someone still wants to run the second option and gets in a huff when the answer is "# apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade" - then they're free to continue running their mess as they see fit, but shouldn't expect others to bail them out when it breaks (as it did - no surprises there).

Why should anyone waste their own precious time helping someone else to polish their turd?

rivenathos

#42 Post by rivenathos »

Safest option is Stable.
Next safest option is Stable + Backports.
However, Stable + Testing is a recipe for disaster.
You live and you learn.
Have fun with all the pieces.
Last edited by rivenathos on 2012-06-25 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

richard1558

#43 Post by richard1558 »

I misread your post from the other Thread, my bad.
( I never tried a mixed system. )
cynwulf wrote:stable + testing is not a "mixed system" it's a mess.
cynwulf wrote:A mixed system is: testing + unstable (+ experimental)
A mixed system is not: stable + testing (+ unstable + experimental + stable backports) as the OP seemed to think...
I stand corrected, and have learned something new :).