Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

forum clock

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Soapm

Re: forum clock

#16 Post by Soapm »

62chevy wrote:
Soapm wrote: You sure the savings would be passed on to the consumers? Modern day prices appear to be set at what the consumer will pay and has nothing to do with actual cost. Actual cost determines the size of the executive bonuses since they skim off the top before the stock holders get a dividend. And because they get to vote on the size of their bonus so why not 1000% of their base pay???

As long as there is competition prices will stay low. But you are right about selling for what the consumer will pay.
Whenever I think of the word competition it makes me think of Walmart. I can name a slew of department stores that have fallen away during the rise of Wally World. My fear is they will have a monopoly once all the competition is squeezed out which means they can charge anything they want. One saving grace is not every one (me for one) will buy their cheap foreign made junk. Food is food but their shirts last about two washings and many of their other goods, well, lets say you get what you pay for.

But back to gas, we have two types of stations by me. We have the named brand stations not afraid to raise their price since they have a loyal following that believe their product is superior and will buy just because of the name then down the street we have the no name station that charges a penny or two less for those of us who shop price. I also observed the same tanker filling the tanks at both stations.

Competition driving price is a moving target these days since consumers seem to be divided by cheap or quality and the two markets co-exist each with their own loyal customer base. Then you have a guy like me, if you have the nerve to call it gas I'll fill my tank but I want a shirt to last me a long time.

62chevy

#17 Post by 62chevy »

Soapm wrote:Competition driving price is a moving target these days since consumers seem to be divided by cheap or quality and the two markets co-exist each with their own loyal customer base. Then you have a guy like me, if you have the nerve to call it gas I'll fill my tank but I want a shirt to last me a long time.

Nothing is perfect just like the clock on FDN. :lol: When I lived in Michigan there was a store called Meijer's, they had an ad that show how they test shirts and pants by putting them through extreme washing before putting them shelves. Cost was a bit more than WalMarts but worth it. Here in West Virgina we only have WalMarts, Target and Kmart and they are all about the same.
Debian Buster

Pick2

#18 Post by Pick2 »

FYI: The Forum clock is off - slow by ~14 Minutes

Randicus

#19 Post by Randicus »

For me, the forum clock is about 22 minutes behind.

Pick2

#20 Post by Pick2 »

Mine also ... forgot to refresh ... D'OH
:lol:

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#21 Post by 4D696B65 »

Mine is 47 minutes ahead..... Doh... forgot to turn daylight savings time off. :oops:
I will leave it this way so I can nuke birthday spam 1 hour earlier. :wink:

Randicus

#22 Post by Randicus »

Mine also ... forgot to refresh ... D'OH
Do not make the mistake of looking at the forum clock if you are getting in a quick look before going work. I doubt the boss would be understanding when the excuse is, "I was looking at the forum's clock and forgot it is twenty minutes behind." :shock:

Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

#23 Post by Mez »

It seems a firewall change made ntp get dropped. Now using local machines from debian to sync.

Pick2

#24 Post by Pick2 »

Yea !

yobo

#25 Post by yobo »

Thanks for fixing this one. It was quite annoying...

thanatos_incarnate

#26 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

The irony - both the clients and the server are on the Internet and technologically able to synchronise time, yet there are time discrepancies.

Absent Minded

#27 Post by Absent Minded »

Mez wrote:It seems a firewall change made ntp get dropped. Now using local machines from debian to sync.
Thank you Mez!
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012