Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Suggestion: An addition to signature

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
ComputerBob

Re: Suggestion: An addition to signature

#16 Post by ComputerBob »

makh wrote:GUI making softwares are very advanced these days. There shouldnt be any need to program/code. :)
Then I look forward to seeing the results of your work on it.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

makh

#17 Post by makh »

ComputerBob wrote:
makh wrote:GUI making softwares are very advanced these days. There shouldnt be any need to program/code. :)
Respectively, the contribution here is merely a SUGGESTION. It is not an intend to become a forum designer. The current team is already doing an excellent job! :)
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

Randicus

#18 Post by Randicus »

It all comes down to one factor: effort to usefulness/need ratio.

Effort
A dialogue listing several items that is displayed on demand would require at least a little work. Assuming of course, that php has an extension that allows such a thing. I have not perused all of their extensions, so I do not know if such a feature could be added.

Usefulness
People usually include their hardware and relevant software when asking a support question. Whether or not the new feature suggestion is a good idea, I doubt the demand for it would make it worth the effort to incorporate.

ComputerBob

#19 Post by ComputerBob »

makh wrote:
ComputerBob wrote:
Respectively, the contribution here is merely a SUGGESTION. It is not an intend to become a forum designer. The current team is already doing an excellent job! :)
The people who designed and programmed this forum are the phpBB people, not this forum's administrators. So, if you're not willing/able to do the "easy, non-programming" work to make your suggestion come true, I suggest that you write to the phpBB people with your suggestion (a suggestion is not a "contribution") and see if they think that it would be worth it to do the work to include your suggestion in their forum software. I suspect that their response will be very similar to the ones that you've received here.
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

makh

#20 Post by makh »

ComputerBob wrote:a suggestion is not a "contribution"
Respectively, your point is highly regarded.

It was suggested 3 years back to a friend, to try ubuntu. He failed to install. He was helped, ultimately linux kernel outshined window$. He is now a regular linux user. He contributes to the linux world by using, testing, feedback etc.

So,
Suggestion IS META-PHASE TO contribution
electron IS A WAVE AND A PARTICLE

a little off-topic...

Code: Select all

BE or NOT TO BE are two equivalent phases

A lad was suggested to look both sides of a road, and then cross it. He made it.
One who wasnt told, never made it back home. Suggestion TRANSFORMS INTO contribution.
One may disagree totally.

ComputerBob

#21 Post by ComputerBob »

makh wrote:
If you're trying to insult me, please look up the definition of the word "regarded." :roll:

I'm not going to waste any more time in this threa. Good luck.
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Randicus

#22 Post by Randicus »

makh wrote:Suggestion IS META-PHASE TO contribution
The point you seem to have missed is that in order for suggestions to be effective, they must be made to the correct people. Your idea for adding features to phpBB needs to be made to them for the suggestion to have any hope of being considered.

Thus;
BE or NOT TO BE are two equivalent phases

A lad was suggested to look both sides of a road, and then cross it. He made it.
One who wasnt told, never made it back home. Suggestion TRANSFORMS INTO contribution.
Making a suggestion to the boy's pet iguana would be useless. The suggestion must be made to the boy. In this case, the boy (the people behind phpBB) would probably consider the suggestion for one or two seconds, before rejecting it.

andrew`

#23 Post by andrew` »

Would Custom Profile Fields be sufficient? They are included in phpBB by default.

See phpBB Documentation - adding Custom Profile Fields.

makh

#24 Post by makh »

ComputerBob wrote:
makh wrote:
If you're trying to insult me, please look up the definition of the word "regarded." :roll:

I'm not going to waste any more time in this threa. Good luck.
Hello ComputerBob:
These days, pretty much busy, than to learn English. :wink:
2. Well, it is not intended in any way, or by any means to insult any old-bie, though it happened at my end to some new-bies; who didnt googled, before asking (it shouldnt have happened either). :roll:

Thankyou Sir Randicus: it was intended to be a joint venture in forum, rather than a personal one. :)