Howto: Installing and configuring Debian Buster

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

Re: Howto: Installing and configuring Debian Buster

Postby Bulkley » 2020-03-19 17:11

Many years ago I tried using deb-multimedia. It worked . . . for a while. I made the mistake of leaving the repository open and things went awry. It looked to me that deb-multimedia packages were out of sync with Stable, as if they were jumping the curve to be ahead of Debian. They simply didn't mesh properly.

If you choose to use deb-multimedia packages only install one at a time and test it thoroughly. Don't let it install other packages and don't leave the repository open. Personally, I learned my lesson and don't use it.
Bulkley

Postby john123son » 2020-03-20 09:45

@ sunrat » 2020-03-08 22:28

"It mentions using the non-free iso (firmware-10.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso) which I would recommend for everyone"

I tried the nonfree software disc firmware-10.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso and it was essentially useless.

It didn't detect/install any of the missing hardware drivers for my system.

In particular, it did not detect/install the driver for my AMD Radeon card and I was left with a black screen just like the guy who did the Debian 10 installation & Virtual Machine guide @

http://www.preearth.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1183

And, if I recall correctly, when I got it installed it gave you only one desktop,... Xfce.

By the way, recently I needed the address of the preearth.net page at a friend's place and searched for it with Google.

Surprisingly, Google did not seem to list it in any shape or form. Couldn't find it anywhere.

This page has a huge amount of good information.

Do you think this is deliberate censorship by Google?

I might stop using Google.
john123son

Postby trinidad » 2020-03-20 11:02

I tried the nonfree software disc firmware-10.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso and it was essentially useless

The most troublefree install ISO is the non-free NET-INSTALL ISO, NOT the DVD version. You probably didn't set your sources correctly. Also you probably needed mode-setting on the ATI card, and/or a GFX resolution setting.

And, if I recall correctly, when I got it installed it gave you only one desktop,... Xfce

You don't recall correctly. All my gnome with wayland installations are from the non-free net-install ISO.

By the way, recently I needed the address of the preearth.net page at a friend's place and searched for it with Google. Google did not seem to list it in any shape or form

Could be its missing cert, and/or a domain name or copyright infringement.

Do you think this is deliberate censorship by Google?

Google can't censor anything, excepting only what user/you or some law/government or user/MS/Intel/cartel tell them to.

I might stop using Google

Good idea. Maybe you'll lose this address too.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.
trinidad

Postby None1975 » 2020-03-20 14:42

Code: Select all
# apt install ttf-liberation

Such a package, ttf-liberation, is in Jessie and Stretch repos, but not in Buster repo. In Buster repos is
Code: Select all
fonts-liberation

Please, correct this. By the way, nice guide.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github
None1975

Postby Hallvor » 2020-03-20 19:22

Thank you!

Updated.
Lenovo ThinkPad T440S, Intel Core i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Lenovo ThinkPad X240, Intel Core i5-4300U CPU @ 2.90GHz, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Hallvor

Previous

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks