Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Flight sims

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
rjbosen

Re: Flight sims

#21 Post by rjbosen »

Update: In an attempt to make this easier for packagers, I now have a new prototype version 8.33 in my development lab. It adjusts the Makefile and the installer. I still need to test it on several Linux distros before publishing it, but as of right now it installs into /usr/sbin/LAC and autogenerates the configuration and other user-specific files into ~/home/.LAC upon first execution.

The prior version (8.32) has proven to be quite stable. A very few tiny little flaws remain, but I ask users to tolerate them please, since they are only cosmetic and don't cause real trouble for anybody.

The menus label some of the missions "TEST" because they are new. They are intended for future expansion and development by additional developers some day, but they seem stable in their current state, and since no other developers have accepted my invitation to join the team and improve them, I consider version 8.32 to be of "Production" quality. I hope this new version 8.32 can serve as a step toward repository packaging.

I should finish my testing within a couple of days. Then I will announce it in this thread and publish it in my usual distribution archives here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxaircombat/files/

:wink:

arzgi

#22 Post by arzgi »

Great you stil develop LAC, 8.32 has worked very well, has not stalled even once during the few hours I had time to test.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Post by sunrat »

rjbosen wrote:Update: In an attempt to make this easier for packagers, I now have a new prototype version 8.33 in my development lab. It adjusts the Makefile and the installer. I still need to test it on several Linux distros before publishing it, but as of right now it installs into /usr/sbin/LAC and autogenerates the configuration and other user-specific files into ~/home/.LAC upon first execution.
That's not correct. For packages installed with the system package manager, application executables normally go into /usr/bin/ with their assets in /usr/share/ . For compiled applications, /usr/local/ is normal or sometimes in /opt/. /usr/sbin/ is fairly strictly for system applications which need to be run with administrator privileges.

Thanks for your work anyway. I downloaded and ran 8.32 once but my joystick seems to be temperamental and I didn't have time to look at config.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

rjbosen

#24 Post by rjbosen »

I will change it from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin then. Thanks!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Post by sunrat »

rjbosen wrote:I will change it from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin then. Thanks!
It's actually not that simple. Only the executable goes in /usr/bin/. Libraries in /usr/lib/ assets in /usr/share/ . I see you posted at MX forum as well so I suggest waiting until one of their packagers such as SwampRabbit or Stevo has time to work alongside you and give you some guidance. I'm no packager but it's best to do it right first time than rush it. :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#26 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I had a quick look at packaging it up and it would be a lot simpler if the installation was performed from the Makefile rather than a separate script. Have you considered moving the project to version control? Github or Gitlab would be nice and would make it much easier for others to contribute.
deadbang

rjbosen

#27 Post by rjbosen »

Thanks for helping me learn about these requirements and conventions.

While I am waiting, I am continuing to apply what I learn. My unpublished version 8.33 is evolving accordingly.

Now I have all of the resource files moved to a new location at /usr/share/lac/. The executable is now at /usr/bin. All of the user-specific configuration files are at ~home/.LAC. I have made progress doing more of the installation steps within the Makefile and minimizing the installation.sh script, but more of that can still be done as I continue to learn. When installers can find time to work on LAC, I will send them this adjusted version if they want it.

As a consequence of these changes, even though LAC's "feature set" has not changed, this new version differs somewhat from my online documentation. To avoid confusion among the community already using LAC, I am just retaining this new version privately, without publishing it, for eventual use by any repository packagers/installers that may want it some day.

milomak

#28 Post by milomak »

this looks an interesting flight sim project
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

rjbosen

#29 Post by rjbosen »

Update:

I have made more progress to help packagers/installers as I have continued to learn the fine points. The latest version is here:

https://askmisterwizard.com/2019/LinuxA ... p35.tar.gz

Routine users won't see any change in the feature set; menus, flight, missions, and aircraft are all unchanged. But the filesystem arrangement is more compatible with repository distribution as follows:

1- The executable is now named "lac" and is stored at /usr/bin/lac.

2- The required, static resource files are now stored in a new folder, at /usr/share/lac.

3- The "lac" script, previously used for launching the program and stored in the user's home folder, is no longer needed. Now, any player can execute lac from a bash shell located anyplace in the filesystem by simply issuing the "lac" command.

4- The "install" script is simplfied.

(As in prior versions, user-specific configuration files are automatically generated upon first execution and are stored in a hidden folder named ".LAC" at ~home/.LAC.)

This arrangement implies the name "lac" for Linux Air Combat. If installers prefer a different name, they could simply rename /usr/bin/lac to /usr/bin/linuxaircombat or /usr/bin/linux-air-combat or /usr/bin/LinuxAirCombat, etc.

This version will be of little interest to routine LAC players and, since it differs in small ways from our online documentation, I am NOT publishing it in the usual download archives.

I've tested this on several popular LINUX distros with good success. I hope it helps packages/installers.

:)

rjbosen

#30 Post by rjbosen »

Another update (11Nov2020)

While I am waiting for the valuable attention that I need from one of you generous packaging/installation experts, I continue to try to ensure everything is as perfected and ready as possible. Accordingly, I've made just one more tiny little adjustment to Linux Air Combat for global installation in the /usr filesystem and for repository distribution. As a result, a new distribution kit named "Lac08p37.tar.gz" is now available here:

https://askmisterwizard.com/2019/LinuxA ... p37.tar.gz

This is identical to version Lac08p35.tar.gz as described in my post of 15Oct2020 (immediately above), but I fixed one teensy tiny little big in Mission #6. No changes were made to menus, flight characteristics, or network interfaces, so there is little need for routine users to upgrade to this new version; it's just for packaging/installation experts integrating it into distro repositories.

When you can dedicate the necessary time to package this up, I'll do whatever I can to assist, and I recommend using this version as the basis for commencing your work.

Thanks! :D

Head_on_a_Stick

#31 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

rjbosen wrote:When you can dedicate the necessary time to package this up
I thought the MX developers were packaging it, is that not the case? If not I might be able to take a look at it again but I'm mad busy at the moment so it may take a while.
deadbang

rjbosen

#32 Post by rjbosen »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
rjbosen wrote:When you can dedicate the necessary time to package this up
I thought the MX developers were packaging it, is that not the case? If not I might be able to take a look at it again but I'm mad busy at the moment so it may take a while.

Thanks. It's clear that skilled developers and packagers are all very busy on both platforms. I don't know who will get to it first. I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can (but I've never done this before). I'm trying to be patient too....

:)

rjbosen

#33 Post by rjbosen »

For those following the "Linux Air Combat" or "LAC" portion of this thread, I have just posted a new, updated thread focusing on LAC and its readiness for the official Debian repository as soon as one of the packagers can take the final, necessary steps. That thread (originally posted in this forum) was moved into the "Programming" forum here:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=149274

I remain hopeful that LAC is now worthy of support from Stevo or SwampRabbit or head_on_a_stick or some other skilled packager who can set aside the necessary time. I'm anxious to help if further installation-related changes to LAC might still be helpful.

Thanks!

Bob Bosen