Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disable IPv6 for Wheezy

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
woodscroller

Disable IPv6 for Wheezy

#1 Post by woodscroller »

This is an addendum to what can be found on Debian Wiki - How to turn off IPv6 and Dasein's post.

Step 1) Strictly follow one of the above links, to the letter. Dasien's post is a summary of the Wiki page but, it includes code one could easily copy and paste into the terminal to accomplish the goals of said Wiki page.

Step 2) Edit /etc/netconfig on two lines. Find these lines:

Code: Select all

udp6       tpi_clts      v     inet6    udp     -       -
tcp6       tpi_cots_ord  v     inet6    tcp     -       -
Comment them with a '#' sign:

#udp6       tpi_clts      v     inet6    udp     -       -
#tcp6       tpi_cots_ord  v     inet6    tcp     -       -
Gratuitous advice: Before editing sytem files, "always" make a backup copy by appending .backup to the end of a filename.

That should clean up any remaining IPv6 processes. Hope it's helpful.
Last edited by woodscroller on 2013-07-05 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
~Steve

Jessie - xfce4

craig_sillva

Re: Disable IPv6 for Wheezy

#2 Post by craig_sillva »

Rather than all this there is a how to in the how to section. Somebody ought to update the wiki with it, since it's much clearer. On mobile so too difficult to give you links.

Edit. Figured out how to edit on tapatalk
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=45271
Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2
Debian 7.0 on Lenovo Thinkpad SL410

woodscroller

#3 Post by woodscroller »

craig_sillva wrote:Rather than all this there is a how to in the how to section. Somebody ought to update the wiki with it, since it's much clearer. On mobile so too difficult to give you links.

Edit. Figured out how to edit on tapatalk
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=45271
Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2
I'd agree, but, both links I gave and the one you shared, are not current for Wheezy.

Although I didn't mention julian67's howto, I did add the 00local.conf file as they suggested and still had the 6 remaining services listening for IPv6. Test if for yourself with a fresh Wheezy install. You'll find that rdnssd, rpcbind and rpc.statd are still active.
~Steve

Jessie - xfce4

woodscroller

#4 Post by woodscroller »

For my own curiosity, I reinstalled with no additional software. I went through the wiki process again (disabling IPv6). After rebooting rpcbind and rpc.statd were still showing up. Editing /etc/netconfig resolved it.

This time however, I did not remove rdnssd.

Will clean up the OP, now.
~Steve

Jessie - xfce4

craig_sillva

#5 Post by craig_sillva »

woodscroller wrote:For my own curiosity, I reinstalled with no additional software. I went through the wiki process again (disabling IPv6). After rebooting rpcbind and rpc.statd were still showing up. Editing /etc/netconfig resolved it.

This time however, I did not remove rdnssd.

Will clean up the OP, now.
Well on my clean Debian Wheezy install I don't even have a /etc/netconfig file. And once the debian driver for ipv6 is gone, you can listen 'till the cows come home and it won't make a difference. If Rhythmbox had a feature to listen to ipv6 it wouldn't matter, because ipv6 is already disabled using the existing how to.

So I don't think you're how to should be called "Disable IPv6" but maybe "Clean up IPv6 Processes" and link to Julien's how-to for disabling, or else create an account and update the wiki. I think you've written a useful post; it is aestethically pleasing for those who want a neat and tidy system, and I thinkthe updated version is concise and well-written.
Debian 7.0 on Lenovo Thinkpad SL410

woodscroller

#6 Post by woodscroller »

Don't understand why you don't have that file. Maybe you did a minimal install --without-recommends. Maybe you did an upgrade from sarge to wheezy. Maybe you installed from a CD, where I did a netinstall... *shrugs* Too many things to 'speculate' the reason why.

Am considering setting up an account to help with the wiki. Won't be able to contribute much but, have seen a couple things that could use editing/adding to.
~Steve

Jessie - xfce4

cynwulf

#7 Post by cynwulf »

/etc/netconfig is part of package libtirpc1 which is a dependency of nfs-common

$ aptitude why libtirpc1
i   mount      Suggests nfs-common (>= 1:1.1.0-13)
p   nfs-common Depends  libtirpc1

woodscroller

#8 Post by woodscroller »

cynwulf wrote:/etc/netconfig is part of package libtirpc1 which is a dependency of nfs-common

$ aptitude why libtirpc1
i   mount      Suggests nfs-common (>= 1:1.1.0-13)
p   nfs-common Depends  libtirpc1
Thanks for that. I did look around for the package. Other issues cropped up that derailed that effort though .. see KISS in General SubForum.
~Steve

Jessie - xfce4

shazeal

#9 Post by shazeal »

Another and possibly better way is to completely disable ipv6 via the kernel command line.

In /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="ipv6.disable=1 quiet"
Then run update-grub.

Afaik all the other solutions still load ipv6 into the kernel but just disable its functionallity.

shirish

#10 Post by shirish »

The last bit worked but for some reason my Windows boot loader became empty :(
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26