Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[HOWTO] - Download files & Update Debian via Exede Satellite

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
lkraemer

[HOWTO] - Download files & Update Debian via Exede Satellite

#1 Post by lkraemer »

[HOWTO] - Download files & Update Debian via Exede Satellite Internet from ruraltown, USA

by Larry Kraemer 10-23-2013 08:00

Since moving to a rural town, I've been wanting to download updated Linux ISO's between the hours of 00:02 thru 04:58 so the transfered data isn't metered, and
subtracted from my account's 10GB limit. I started searching for an easy way to download specific ISO's from a known URL. I also needed a way to Update & Upgrade
Debian 7 a couple of times a month. I needed to do these transactions between 00:02 and 04:58, and I didn't want to be up during those hours banging the keys on
multiple keyboards.

Finding a way to download the Updated Linux ISO's was easy. I downloaded uGet from the Debian Repo's, and configured it to download the ISO's between
01:00 thru 01:59. That worked GREAT!

The second thing I needed was a way to execute the following commands to Update and Upgrade my current Debian 7 install.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Crontab appeared to be the solution I needed, so I started testing various crontab commands. I wanted to build a text file, then import that data into crontab, and then
enable crontab. But, trying to run the command as sudo required my password, and caused the crontab script to abort. I searched until I found a way to bypass entering
my password. The following command is about Line 23 of /etc/sudoers:
# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
The following stanza was added to /etc/sudoers, immediately after the above stanza (about Line 23):

# set up mycron_debian.sh to execute cronjob as root for apt-get update, etc.
larry  ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /home/larry/mycron_debian.sh
Permissions for mycron_debian.sh are:
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 114 Oct 23 07:33 mycron_debian.sh
mycron_debian.sh contains:

#dump the Date & Time to file as a marker
zdump CST
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --assume-yes upgrade
#this was needed for distro's such as Linux Mint 15 to update lower Icon on toolbar
sudo apt-get update
I needed to build the crontab commands that would be executed.

# Create your script with one of these commands:
# crontab  /home/larry/mycronfile.txt
# crontab -u larry /home/larry/mycronfile.txt
# edit with crontab -e
#
# use /bin/bash to run commands, instead of the default /bin/sh
SHELL=/bin/bash
MAILTO=""
#MAILTO="someuser"
#
# set the PATH variable to make sure all commands in the crontab are found
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
#
# actual update commands are located in mycron_debian.sh
#
# zdump CST
# sudo apt-get update
# sudo apt-get --assume-yes upgrade
# sudo apt-get update
#
#  Send the output of the commands to a log file (as user) /home/larry/crontab/cronrun
#
#  Run twice around 1st & 15th of every month at 01:00 on first Sunday and third Sunday, and log to a file at /home/larry/crontab/cronrun
#
00 01 * * 0#1,0#3 sudo /home/larry/mycron_debian.sh >> /home/larry/crontab/cronrun
#
#
#    Gotchas!
# 1. When cron job is run from the users crontab it is executed as that user. It does not however source any files in the users home directory
#    like their .cshrc or .bashrc or any other file. If you need cron to source (read) any file that your script will need you should do it
#    from the script cron is calling. Setting paths, sourcing files, setting environment variables, etc.
# 2. If the users account has a crontab but no useable shell in /etc/passwd then the cronjob will not run. You will have to give the account a
#    shell for the crontab to run.
# 3. If your cronjobs are not running check if the cron deamon is running. Then remember to check /etc/cron.allow and /etc/cron.deny files.
#    If they exist then the user you want to be able to run jobs must be in /etc/cron.allow. You also might want to check if the
#    /etc/security/access.conf file exists. You might need to add your user there.
# 4. Crontab is not parsed for environmental substitutions. You can not use things like $PATH, $HOME, or ~/sbin. You can set things like
#    MAILTO= or PATH= and other environment variables the /bin/sh shell uses.
# 5. Cron does not deal with seconds so you can't have cronjob's going off in any time period dealing with seconds. Like a cronjob going off
#    every 30 seconds.
# 6. You can not use % in the command area. They will need to be escaped and if used with a command like the date command you can put it in
#    backticks. Ex. `date +\%Y-\%m-\%d`
the last thing to do is import the text file into crontab with:

crontab /home/larry/mycronfile.txt 
and then edit when needed with:

crontab -e
To remove the crontab use:

crontab -r
You may want to view the log file (/home/user/crontab/cronrun) to see the results.

You can use mailx -H to view the mail headers. man mailx will give more command information.

Larry