Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

almost perfect Nvidia performance

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
jlambrecht

almost perfect Nvidia performance

#1 Post by jlambrecht »

Below you find the changes i made to my system to have Flash working flawlessly ( except for full-screen on this particular machine ) Please let me know if this works for you.

[ FIXED ] Flash Playback is now stable in Iceweasel
[ NOTE ] With MTRR tweaking the performance increase can be phenomenal ( gtkperf score from 5.21 improved downto 3.50 ) ... after much testing i do not consider to have sufficiënt MTRR mojo to reach a satisfiable solution. Playing with MTRR is not without dangers :)

[ FINAL NOTES ] This issue is most likely very specific to my machine ( ancient Dell Precision M4300 ) and hence irrelevant to most. I hope it finds some use for some anyway.

http://helpdesk.oxitech.info/doku.php?i ... h_on_linux for more up-to-date information, or visit the Debian Wiki.

Before these change came into effect flash played for 5 minutes then became sluggish and slowed down the whole GUI until the Display Manager was restarted. After i've played various +5 minutes movies and am now playing a move ( now at 1 hour 17 minutes ) ... hence i consider the issue fixed. Right now, the speed of my Gnome3 session is faster than ever before.

My system is a Dell Precision M4300 with an NVIDIA Corporation G86M [Quadro FX 360M] graphics card running on 4Gb of ram. Just in case this matters. These changes are NVidia specifc but might work on other systems in whole or in part. Bear with me, i've yet to trim down the changes i've made but i'm sharing this because it works without a hitch, and is really fast as well ( again, i know )

For completeness i must indicate i also ran dpkg --add-architecture i386 , it might be required to run "aptitude install ia32-libs ia32-libs-libnss3 ia32-libs-libcurl3 libcurl3 nspluginwrapper"
  • /etc/adobe/mms.cfg ( created )
    /etc/default/grub ( changed )
    /etc/X11/xorg ( created using xconfig,then changed )
    /etc/modprobed.d/nvidia-kernel-common.conf
    /etc/apt/sources.list ( added deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free, aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade && aptitude install flashplayer-mozilla )
I've downloaded and installed the latest driver for my graphics card from NVidia and installed it without vdpau, this might be the actual clue to the functioning flash player. Below is the installer command i've used to generate the driver. dkms failed, i still do not know why. I choose to install the 32-bit compatiblity libraries,

./nvidia-installer --no-unified-memory --no-install-vdpau-wrapper -Z

Below are the files as the appear on my system, it is possible some of the change are meaningless, i do not want to spend any more time on this.
# I'm using the # sign to indicate a comment

# created from the arch linux wiki and added EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
/etc/adobe/mms.cfg
  • #Adobe player settings
    AVHardwareDisable = 0
    FullScreenDisable = 0
    LocalFileReadDisable = 1
    FileDownloadDisable = 1
    FileUploadDisable = 1
    LocalStorageLimit = 5
    ThirdPartyStorage = 1
    AssetCacheSize = 50
    AutoUpdateDisable = 1
    LegacyDomainMatching = 0
    LocalFileLegacyAction = 0
    AllowUserLocalTrust = 0
    # DisableSockets = 1
    OverrideGPUValidation = 1
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
# displaying changes only, anything from nomodeset and fruther was added
/etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset noapic hpet=force enable_mtrr_cleanup mtrr_spare_reg_nr=2" # did have some performance glitches

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset noapic enable_mtrr_cleanup mtrr_spare_reg_nr=4" # this line i currently use

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only) ( this is only required if warning/error message with regards to NVRM occur )
GRUB_TERMINAL=console[/list]

# The only part i changed was the Device section, these changes are the Option lines below
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Option "NoLogo" ""
Option "RenderAccel" "1"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
EndSection

# this is very specific to the card in my system and the drivers installed
/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-common.conf
  • alias char-major-195* nvidia
    options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=44 NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660
    options nvidia NVreg_EnableMSI=1 # optional for but small performance increase
    options nvidia NVreg_Mobile=1 # optional for but small performance increase
    blacklist nouveau
Embrace what you're not certain off,
keep an eye on what you're confident about.