Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Setting up animated wallpapers in Gnome / Cinnamon

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
mikey

Setting up animated wallpapers in Gnome / Cinnamon

#1 Post by mikey »

Hello,

I'm trying out Wheezy as a potential option for a more stable work experience. So one thing I felt I was missing was animated Wallpapers. There was a bit of difficulty in making these files work and also appear in the list of Backgrounds that I thought I would share here.

I find having a wallpaper that changes throughout the day can help give me a better sense of the progression of time throughout the day. The Default Wallpaper in Gnome Shell is an example of this, but it's not one that I think is particularly pleasing to look at.

I've been running Fedora and discovered a nice animated wallpaper is one that harks back all the way to Fedora 8. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers#Fedora_8

I decided to try and make this wallpaper work together with a collection of others that I found on gnome-look.org

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=115006
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=93329

Image Image

There's also one for Fedora 19 that I'm not so keen on. Also it's not got an XML included so I think you would need to find it in the Fedora repos or create a new one. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers#Fedora_19

So getting these to work.

For each you need to find (or make) a series of image files, a XML file and - the bit I couldn't find in any of the instructions - create a second XML document that tells Gnome Shell or Cinnamon where to find the background.

The first step is to save the images somewhere - I saved mine in a folder in /usr/share/backgrounds/ for example /usr/share/backgrounds/DebianDay/.

Then save the XML document that describes how the image transitions work - I just saved mine to the same folder as the images /usr/share/backgrounds/DebianDay in the last example.

I then checked the image paths in that XML document - each source I found seemed to assume a different install path and none used relative paths which is what would seem to make sense to me. So in my previous example I had to change it to something like this for each of the many file references.

Code: Select all

<from>/usr/share/backgrounds/DebianDay/0.png</from>
	<to>/usr/share/backgrounds/DebianDay/12.png</to>
Lastly I couldn't seem to just put the XML file in a folder checked by Gnome or Cinnamon, or browse for it and add it that way. I found I had to make a second XML file which I found worked in the /usr/share/gnome-background-properties folder. This file describes the previous XML file.

It looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE wallpapers SYSTEM "gnome-wp-list.dtd">
<wallpapers>
  <wallpaper deleted="false">
    <name>DebianDay</name>
    <filename>/usr/share/backgrounds/DebianDay/DebianDay.xml</filename>
    <options>zoom</options>
    <shade_type>solid</shade_type>
    <pcolor>#3465a4</pcolor>
  </wallpaper>
</wallpapers>
I just copied this from the Default Desktop called Adwaita.xml and I'm not sure what many of the options are, but it seems to work. I've only tweaked <filename> and <name>. I saved mine as /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/DebianDay.xml

(edit) There was one extra step I missed if you happen to be using cinnamon (I'm not sure if this is even a good idea on Wheezy but like I said I'm using this install to spec these things out). Anyway the step is to link the Cinnamon background properties to the same folder as the Gnome one:

sudo ln -s /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/ /usr/share/cinnamon-background-properties

thanatos_incarnate

Re: Setting up animated wallpapers in Gnome / Cinnamon

#2 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

For the sake of other people's bandwidth, use small thumbnails or plain links to the images,
don't display entire wallpapers here!

dasein

Re: Setting up animated wallpapers in Gnome / Cinnamon

#3 Post by dasein »

^^ +1!!

Those bandwidth-guzzling full-screen monstrosities are totally unnecessary.