gtk alternative to k4dirstat (kdirstat)

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

gtk alternative to k4dirstat (kdirstat)

Postby Linadian » 2014-06-23 23:21

If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, this tool is very similar to k4dirstat (formerly kdirstat) found in KDE, except baobab (the name of a tree) won't drag in 3/4 of KDE with it (k4dirstat still wants to even with recommends turned off). :shock:

The Debian package page says Gnome but it works fine in my Wheezy Xfce.

Edit: After it's installed, it's found in (Xfce) Menu/System/Disk Usage Analyzer.
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-07-09 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Registered User 533946
Linadian

Re: gtk alternative to k4dirstat (kdirstat)

Postby HarborView » 2014-07-06 22:40

I would call this sentence unbelievably bad syntax except I believe it since I write such sentences as well:
If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, this tool is very similar to k4dirstat (formerly kdirstat) found in KDE, except baobab (the name of a tree) won't drag in 3/4 of KDE with it (k4dirstat still wants to even with recommends turned off)

After reading it 5 times I decided it means:

If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, install baobab. It works like KDE's k4dirstat fka kdirstat and doesn't require the heavy overhead of running a KDE app under GTK. "Baobab" is also the name of a tree in Africa. I don't see the connection but the developers must have.

Something like that?

And thank you for the suggestion. I had a problem like that recently and had to solve it by guesswork.
HarborView

Re: gtk alternative to k4dirstat (kdirstat)

Postby Linadian » 2014-07-08 00:45

HarborView wrote:I would call this sentence unbelievably bad syntax except I believe it since I write such sentences as well:
If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, this tool is very similar to k4dirstat (formerly kdirstat) found in KDE, except baobab (the name of a tree) won't drag in 3/4 of KDE with it (k4dirstat still wants to even with recommends turned off)

After reading it 5 times I decided it means:

If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, install baobab. It works like KDE's k4dirstat fka kdirstat and doesn't require the heavy overhead of running a KDE app under GTK. "Baobab" is also the name of a tree in Africa. I don't see the connection but the developers must have.

Something like that?

And thank you for the suggestion. I had a problem like that recently and had to solve it by guesswork.

Lol! Yeah, I kinda thought it was a bit tongue twisty, run-on, thanks for the kind translation, heh. :mrgreen:
Linux Registered User 533946
Linadian

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks