Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gtk alternative to k4dirstat (kdirstat)

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Linadian

gtk alternative to k4dirstat (kdirstat)

#1 Post by Linadian »

If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, this tool is very similar to k4dirstat (formerly kdirstat) found in KDE, except baobab (the name of a tree) won't drag in 3/4 of KDE with it (k4dirstat still wants to even with recommends turned off). :shock:

The Debian package page says Gnome but it works fine in my Wheezy Xfce.

Edit: After it's installed, it's found in (Xfce) Menu/System/Disk Usage Analyzer.
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-07-09 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Registered User 533946

HarborView

Re: gtk alternative to k4dirstat (kdirstat)

#2 Post by HarborView »

I would call this sentence unbelievably bad syntax except I believe it since I write such sentences as well:
If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, this tool is very similar to k4dirstat (formerly kdirstat) found in KDE, except baobab (the name of a tree) won't drag in 3/4 of KDE with it (k4dirstat still wants to even with recommends turned off)
After reading it 5 times I decided it means:

If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, install baobab. It works like KDE's k4dirstat fka kdirstat and doesn't require the heavy overhead of running a KDE app under GTK. "Baobab" is also the name of a tree in Africa. I don't see the connection but the developers must have.

Something like that?

And thank you for the suggestion. I had a problem like that recently and had to solve it by guesswork.

Linadian

Re: gtk alternative to k4dirstat (kdirstat)

#3 Post by Linadian »

HarborView wrote:I would call this sentence unbelievably bad syntax except I believe it since I write such sentences as well:
If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, this tool is very similar to k4dirstat (formerly kdirstat) found in KDE, except baobab (the name of a tree) won't drag in 3/4 of KDE with it (k4dirstat still wants to even with recommends turned off)
After reading it 5 times I decided it means:

If you want to know what's guzzling your disk space, install baobab. It works like KDE's k4dirstat fka kdirstat and doesn't require the heavy overhead of running a KDE app under GTK. "Baobab" is also the name of a tree in Africa. I don't see the connection but the developers must have.

Something like that?

And thank you for the suggestion. I had a problem like that recently and had to solve it by guesswork.
Lol! Yeah, I kinda thought it was a bit tongue twisty, run-on, thanks for the kind translation, heh. :mrgreen:
Linux Registered User 533946