Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to block the real systemd from being installed.

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
edbarx

How to block the real systemd from being installed.

#1 Post by edbarx »

Warnings:
  1. If you are not skilled enough to cope with serious breakages leading to very probable unbootability, this howto is NOT for you.
  2. As systemd is an OS loader/manager, you are NOW RESPONSIBLE to provide an alternative.
The lethal concoction :shock: :
  1. Install equivs
  2. Open a text editor to create this file. This file has been copied from the control file for dpkg since that is an essential package and we want to avoid our fake systemd package from being rejected or automatically uninstalled.
  3. This is the control file:

Code: Select all

Package: systemd
    Version: 215-5+z10000
    Architecture: amd64
    Essential: yes
    Origin: debianfork
    Maintainer: your_name
    Installed-Size: 1
    Pre-Depends: libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.14), liblzma5 (>= 5.1.1alpha+20120614), libselinux1 (>= 2.3), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), tar (>= 1.23)
    Suggests: apt
    Section: admin
    Priority: required
    Multi-Arch: foreign
    Description: systemd placeholder (dummy)
     This package provides a neat/messy way,  depending on your values, to avoid systemd
     being installed
     Enjoy.
  4. Save the file and run the following command:

Code: Select all

equivs-build the-name-for-the-text-file-you-created-for-control
  5. Install the package with dpkg.
Currently, this results in Gnome not being installable due to unsatisfied dependencies that cannot be pulled.

You have been warned.
Last edited by edbarx on 2014-11-13 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

reinob

Re: How to block the real systemd from being installed.

#2 Post by reinob »

edbarx wrote: Currently, this results in Gnome not being installable due to unsatisfied dependencies that cannot be pulled.
Is this unsatisfied dependency libpam-systemd?
It currently (sid) depends on an exact version of systemd (= 215-5+b1), so it cannot be satisfied by your equivalent package.

Perhaps you could try making also a dummy package for libpam-systemd and make sure the module is removed from the PAM config (I don't have my laptop with me right now so I cannot tell you the exact path/line).

[EDIT1] It's /etc/pam.d/common-session. The line has "session optional pam_systemd.so"

Add. merely as a suggestion: you could remove the pre-depends and suggests (taken from dpkg). Not that it will change anything (because most people will have dpkg installed :), but it cleans up the package a bit.

[EDIT2] Make sure that /usr/bin/update-rc.d (and possibly invoke-rc.d) point to the right directory (inside your "rootkit"), as, at least where I checked (sid with systemd and jessie with sysvinit) they contain hardcoded paths (it's just a perl script anyway). The binary package is sysv-rc.