Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How To: Install Latest get_iplayer PPA

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
devils_debian

How To: Install Latest get_iplayer PPA

#1 Post by devils_debian »

Hello All,
Users of get_iplayer have had to endure an abrupt change by the BBC to their content feeds system.
BBC now uses a new API called Nitro. For get_iplayer to return search results of available content, the latest version of get_iplayer must be used.
Sadly, it is not yet available on Debian (as off 15/11/14).

<<<<WARNING! See Stevepusser's Reply Below First.>>>>

First, download the ' add-apt-repository.sh' file from here:
http://blog.anantshri.info/howto-add-ppa-in-debian/ (Right click 'Save as')

** To be clear, using PPAs (personal package archives) should only be used if you understand the general risks, as these sources operate
outside the regular Debian repository structure.**

Next, move the file somewhere in the executable path (for systemwide use). I chose '/usr/local/bin'. I then renamed the file to simply
'add-apt-repository' add made it executable (terminal: sudo chmod +x add-apt-repository).

From the command line/terminal/tty execute the following: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jon-hedgerows/get-iplayer

If successful, you should see this:

jon-hedgerows/get-iplayer
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --homedir /tmp/tmp.74lRFTDI2c --no-auto-check-trustdb --trust-model always --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/kalgasnik-ppa.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 2CDAFB4702E04F78
gpg: requesting key 02E04F78 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 02E04F78: public key "Launchpad xbmc" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

Now update your package system via APT or Synaptic (might need to change 'Settings --> Preferences --> Distribution' in Synaptic) .
You should now see the latest available version (2.90-11-g10fedfb-ppa20~lucid as off 15/11/14) available for installation.
Works a charm once again. 8)
Last edited by devils_debian on 2014-11-15 21:15, edited 4 times in total.

stevepusser

Re: How To: Install Latest get_iplayer PPA

#2 Post by stevepusser »

A simple search shows that "add-apt-repository" is already available in Debian:

https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... e&arch=any

Kudos for explaining that PPAs can be dangerous, but this can be worked around by rebuilding the source packages in the PPA against your release's libraries.
MX Linux packager and developer

devils_debian

Re: How To: Install Latest get_iplayer PPA

#3 Post by devils_debian »

Yes, I knew it was already installed on my system (Sid), but attempting to add a PPA kept resulting in this:

'Cannot access PPA (https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~jon-hedg ... et-iplayer) to get PPA information, please check your internet connection.'

I reinstalled the 'software properties' packages again but the result is the same. However, for comparison I temporarily renamed the manually downloaded version I put in '/usr/local/bin' and ran that again and it works :? What's missing on my system (or is this a bug)? Sudo was used in each case.

UPDATE: Thinking about it, until a fix (or error of my ways) is apparent, I will put the downloaded script in place of the one from Debian (/usr/bin) as a simple work around for now...