Install NVidia legacy drivers on Jessie Testing

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

Install NVidia legacy drivers on Jessie Testing

Postby mdavies5 » 2014-12-18 05:57

I have read many how-tos on this subject and they all fell down somewhere and many other users have reported problems; so I am basically repeating existing instructions but adding notes on how to solve some common problems.
1. The Jessie non-free repositories contain NVidia driver V. 340.46 which only suits modern graphics cards. By "Legacy" I am referring to earlier versions available from the Wheezy repositiories.
2. Open /etc/apt/sources.lst in a text editor as sudo. You will need sudo password to do this. EG In a terminal run sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.lst (replace "gedit" with your favourite editor}.
3. Add this line: deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy-backports main contrib non-free
4. Save the file
5. In a terminal run: sudo apt-get update
6. In many instructions you will be asked to run: "sudo apt-get -s install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-xconfig nvidia-settings" but this will try to get the latest version and throw errors such as "The following packages have unmet dependencies:....".
7. Instead in a terminal run: sudo apt-get install nvidia-detect. Repeat this for "nvidia-support" and "nvidia-xconfig"
8. Now run: sudo nvidia-detect. You will get output similar to: "It is recommended to install the nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver". You now know which driver to install. Currently the Wheezy repository has V304 and V319.
9. I now find it easier to use Synaptic. In the search box enter nvidia and select to search in name only. Now check the item selected under 8 above to be installed and it will also automatically include any depencies.
10. You will get a warning that a reboot is necessary before the drivers are functional. DO NOT REBOOT yet. Just keep clicking "Next" until the installation is complete.
11. IMPORTANT. In a terminal run: sudo nvidia-xconfig. If you reboot without doing this you will boot to a terminal screen with a blinking cursor.
12. Now reboot and NVidia will handle your graphics. You can prove this by running Nvidia X Server Settings in the Administration menu.

I hope this assists you. I found the Nouveau drivers supplied with Jessie just weren't up to the job but now I am flying!
Cheers, Michael
mdavies5

Re: Install NVidia legacy drivers on Jessie Testing

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2014-12-18 06:21

No, you really don't want to be mixing jessie with wheezy - backports.
Why not just use the legacy driver in jessie. :?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Re: Install NVidia legacy drivers on Jessie Testing

Postby mdavies5 » 2014-12-21 04:05

Good question, I didn't find this level of help. In fact it turns out they are the same NVidia version anyway so no harm done in this instance.
Cheers, Michael
mdavies5

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks