Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 on Wine

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Rtrescott

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 on Wine

#1 Post by Rtrescott »

This took a while to figure out, so I thought I'd share it. I was somewhat helped by a PlayOnLinux script at https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-37 ... oon_3.html, but I had to use Google Translate so that I could read the script. Unfortunately, the script did not entirely work for me, so I used the steps I'm listing here.

NOTE: RCT3 does not appear to be compatible with the open-source drivers, which I used on my Linux Mint system. I also do not know if it will work with hardware other than AMD/ATI.

System Specs:
Debian 7.8 64-bit (x64/amd64)
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9750
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 3200
RAM: 6 GB
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

How to install Frontier/Atari's RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 on Wine (Using PlayOnLinux) - 27 easy steps! & WORKING AUDIO
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Install PlayOnLinux. I used the .deb from playonlinux.com, but it is on the Debian repository.
2. Open up PlayOnLinux. Click on the "Tools" menu, and click "Manage Wine versions".
3. Select the x86/32-bit tab, and find Wine 1.6.2. This is the stable version right now. Click on Wine 1.6.2, then click on the arrow to move it to the left. Then click "Next" or "OK" Note: If you have already installed 1.6.2, you can skip this.
4. Wine 1.6.2 will download and PlayOnLinux will extract it. Don't worry, this won't overwrite the Wine that you downloaded from the repository.
5. Once this is done, you can close the Wine version manager window.
6. From the main PlayOnLinux window, click the install button. If the option to "Install a non-listed program" does not immediately appear, close the install window and reopen it.
7. Click on "Install a non-listed program".
8. Click "Next" once.
9. Choose "Install a program in a new virtual drive".
10. Name the virtual drive (Wineprefix) "RCT3" (without quotation marks)
11. Click "Next," and you should see a screen asking you whether to "Use a different version of Wine," "Configure Wine," or "Install some libraries".
12. Select both "Use a different version of Wine" and "Install some libraries". If you use GNOME, also choose "Configure Wine" and set Wine to emulate a 1024x768 virtual desktop. In my experience, GNOME didn't like RCT3 temporarily changing the resolution.
13. PlayOnLinux will ask you which Wine version to use. Select "1.6.2" or whatever version you downloaded in step 3.
14. On the next screen, choose "32 bits Windows installation" and click Next.
15. If you use GNOME, use WineCFG to emulate a virtual desktop. This can be found under the Graphics tab. Check the box for "Emulate a virutal desktop, and in the boxes below enter 1024 and 768. This resolution is RCT3's default, so it should display nicely. (Note: You might have some trouble moving around in the game, since this is based on whether your cursor is on the edge of the screen and emulating a virtual desktop creates a window on your desktop, rather than a complete fullscreen.
16. Now, you should install these libraries. All the ones that are required begin with "POL_Install_[library]" so I'll omit the POL_Install_ part. Here they are (in bold): d3dx10, d3dx11, d3dx9, devenum, dinput, dinput8, directmusic, directplay, directx9, dsound, dxfullsetup, gecko, mono210, quartz, wmp10, wmpcodecs
17. If you get an error installing mono210, skip it and instead download Mono from here: http://download.mono-project.com/archiv ... in32-0.exe
17.5. If you received the error message, and you downloaded the installer to your downloads folder, use this command in the terminal:

Code: Select all

$ env WINEPREFIX=~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/RCT3 wine ~/Downloads/mono-2.10.9-gtksharp-2.12.11-win32-0.exe
and use the Mono installer wizard to install. Make sure you use all the default options.
18. Wait for the libraries to finish installing.
19. Now, place your RollerCoaster Tyccon 3 disk into your drive.
20. Browse your /media folder for the folder containing the files on the disk. For me, this was /media/cdrom0.
21. Now, back to PlayOnLinux. Click the "Browse" button to find the disk in /media. Select "setup.exe" and click open.
22. Click next, and the RCT3 installer should open up. Allow it to install. However, I don't reccomend attempting to "Register." Atari seems to have completely dropped support for RCT3.
23. Once it has finished, PlayOnLinux will scan the Program Files folder in the Wineprefix for executables. Check your desktop or your desktop folder. If you already have a shortcut for RCT3, select "I don't want to create another shortcut" in PlayOnLinux. However, if you don't have a shortcut, find RCT3.exe, select it, and click next. Even if you do create a shortcut, PlayOnLinux will ask you again. This time, select "I don't want to create another shortcut."
24. At this point, RCT3 should run, but there will be a problem. A big problem. You won't have any sound, except for button clicks. Read on for how to fix this.
25. Now, download VLC Media Player for Windows at http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.0/win32 ... -win32.exe. Save it in your downloads folder.
26. Now run the command below to install VLC on your RCT3 Wineprefix. Make sure to allow the installer to set VLC as the default for all the formats it can play.

Code: Select all

$ env WINEPREFIX=~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/RCT3 wine ~/Downloads/vlc-2.2.0-win32.exe
27. Let the installer finish, and you should have RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 working perfectly. (With all sounds) The only thing that does not work is the animated developer logos that appear as the game is starting. However, there are static ones that are perfectly fine.

I hope that this is useful, and good luck!

Rtrescott

Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 on Wine

#2 Post by Rtrescott »

Sorry about this, but here's a correction. When I was testing this, I had a few too many variables and I didn't realize that I actually did need a windows codec pack that I installed to make the audio work. You can download it at http://download.mediaplayercodecpack.co ... .setup.exe. Once you have downloaded it, open up PlayOnLinux, select RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, click "Configure," and under the "Miscellaneous" tab, click on "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive." Find media.player.codec.pack.v4.3.6.setup.exe in whichever folder you downloaded it to, and run it with PlayOnLinux. I don't reccomend the "Easy installation," because it installs a pointless little systray icon. However, I think either way will work.