Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install TDE (Trinity Desktop Environment) on Jessie

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Install TDE (Trinity Desktop Environment) on Jessie

#1 Post by Hallvor »

What is TDE?
The Trinity Desktop Environment project (TDE) is a fork of KDE 3.5, organised and led by Timothy Pearson. This project aims to release continuing bug fixes, additional features, and compatibility with recent hardware. Trinity is packaged for Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat and various other distributions.

This howto will require adding a personal package archive. This is a software repository that enables the developer, whose software is not in the official Debian repository, to bring software and updates to that software to users of Debian. If you don't know what you are doing, please don't continue.

I have tested all the steps in this howto without issue. In fact I run TDE on two different netbooks myself.

Why TDE?
Very feature rich.
Low RAM consumption (about 130 MB RAM with Konqueror web browser).
Very efficient. If you use TDE applications, RAM usage will rise very slowly.
Great localization.

How does it look?
If you don't remember KDE3.5, here are some screenshots:

A Youtube-video showing TDE in a virtual machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcDpMgEUck

How to install it
The first thing you need to edit is your sources.list (as root)

Code: Select all

# nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Paste these lines into it

deb http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian jessie main
deb-src http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian jessie main
deb http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/debian jessie main
deb-src http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/debian jessie main
OR

deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian jessie main
deb-src http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian jessie main
deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/debian jessie main
deb-src http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/debian jessie main
Exit with Ctrl+X and press Y to save the changes.

The next thing we want to do is adding the key from the ppa:

# apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net --recv-keys F5CFC95C
Update (as root)

# apt-get update
Install the desktop environment (as root)

# aptitude install tde-trinity
All done!

PS: If you already have a different desktop environment installed, you can probably select TDE somehere on the login screen after reboot. If not, you will boot into your old desktop environment.

To delete your old desktop environment, type (as root)

# tasksel

Next, unmark the "deskop environment" box, and then apply the changes.

See also: https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_ ... structions
Last edited by Hallvor on 2015-12-06 18:09, edited 5 times in total.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

dasein

Re: Install TDE (Trinity Desktop Environment) on Jessie

#2 Post by dasein »

Thanks for this HOWTO, Hallvor.

Here's a shout-out to Exegnulinux, a TDE-based Debian respin; a jessie-based version is here: http://exegnulinux.net/downloads/jessie/

TDE makes a very respectable entry among what passes for "lightweight" DE's in today's world. Last time I tested it, TDE's resource usage was on par with Xfce.

geoaraujo

#3 Post by geoaraujo »

I've installed Debian 8.2 with no desktop environment in VirtualBox to test Trinity. However, I've used the instructions from the TDE Wiki to install it. I suppose that the personal package archive that the OP suggested points to the same files..? Anyway, all went nice.
dasein wrote:Here's a shout-out to Exegnulinux, a TDE-based Debian respin; a jessie-based version is here: http://exegnulinux.net/downloads/jessie/
There's also Q4OS, which is based on Debian as well and uses a customized TDE too.
Last edited by geoaraujo on 2015-12-28 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Debian 12

KDE Plasma 5.26.4
Dell Inspiron 7572 Intel i7-8550U CPU 1.8 GHz 64-bit Integrated Graphics 16GB ram

TDE R14.0.13
Acer TravelMate B117-M Intel Celeron N3060 2.48GHz 64-bit Integrated Graphics 4GB ram

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Hallvor »

It should be the same files from Timothy Pearson, but I'll add the wiki mirror.
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

dzz

#5 Post by dzz »

Here's a shout-out to Exegnulinux, a TDE-based Debian respin; a jessie-based version is here: http://exegnulinux.net/downloads/jessie/
Thanks dasein but please note Jessie versions are actually now Devuan-based.

Hallvors points about TDE are mostly correct. I have used it from it's very beginning on Debian (then squeeze) with great success. I also use xfce4, which here is selectable from TDE login manager (TDM). TDE has proven to be stable, full-featured, customizable yet still low-resource. It is also actively maintained with a new "point release" only last week.

If you want to reduce the "bloat" of a full TDE install you can install components selectively rather than the full tde-trinity "meta" (the exegnu images remain <700MB)

geoaraujo

#6 Post by geoaraujo »

dzz wrote: If you want to reduce the "bloat" of a full TDE install you can install components selectively rather than the full tde-trinity "meta" (the exegnu images remain <700MB)
Do you know if that is also true when installing TDE on Debian via the ppas mentioned above ? Install something like "tde-core-trinity" instead of "tde-trinity"?
Debian 12

KDE Plasma 5.26.4
Dell Inspiron 7572 Intel i7-8550U CPU 1.8 GHz 64-bit Integrated Graphics 16GB ram

TDE R14.0.13
Acer TravelMate B117-M Intel Celeron N3060 2.48GHz 64-bit Integrated Graphics 4GB ram

dzz

#7 Post by dzz »

Do you know if that is also true when installing TDE on Debian via the ppas mentioned above ? Install something like "tde-core-trinity" instead of "tde-trinity"?
Essentially, yes, that's what I meant. Individual packages are installable for Debian, testing/sid however is as always a "moving target"

TDE packages have a "-trinity" suffix to avoid confusion with kde4. They install to /opt/ therefore it is possible to run even with kde4 installed. Before anyone makes that suggestion, it's not possible to make a comparison with kde4 as that now is, since TDE is a maintained "fork" of (officially abandoned) kde3 as of some years.

FYI.. TDE does not use qt4, qt3 was also forked to what is now tqt. TDE also does not require systemd nor it's deps, except dbus which (official Debian version) depends libsystemd0. There are no plans to introduce hard systemd requirement for TDE.

Take it or leave it, it's GPL.

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

dzz wrote:
Thanks dasein but please note Jessie versions are actually now Devuan-based.
Sold! (starting download)

Thank you for the effort you put into Exegnulinux, dzz. Something that was already very cool is now even cooler. :cool:

Suddenly, I'm very glad I never purged all my old KDE 3.x themes, etc. (Took my own advice and didn't worry about the <$0.01 worth of disk space I'd save.)

Though I have to say, for truly serious work, KDE 4.x still has one feature I've never seen anywhere else (except for Fluxbox): window-tabbing. There is just nothing handier for streamlining rapid and repeated switching among apps.

Edit: So far, a Live-CD test-drive of Devuan-based Exegnulinux is a dream. Very. Cool. Stuff. :cool:

geoaraujo

#9 Post by geoaraujo »

Yep, Trinity is up and running on my "new" Acer Aspire One D260 with Debian 8.2! :mrgreen:
Debian 12

KDE Plasma 5.26.4

TDE R14.0.13

Innovate

#10 Post by Innovate »

Thank you, I've this seen on Q4OS.
Now finally there's a tutorial to install TDE arrived on Debian Tutorial section.
not only knowledge I gain from TDE

Also I gained "tasksel" command as well thanks to you.
Now I can choose stuff to install i want on OS even without CD.

xinu

#11 Post by xinu »

No LUCK here :

# apt-get install tde-trinity
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 tde-trinity : Depends: tde-core-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdeedu-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdegames-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdetoys-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdeaccessibility-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdeaddons-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdeadmin-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdeartwork-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdegraphics-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdemultimedia-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdenetwork-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdepim-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdeutils-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: tdewebdev-trinity (>= 4:14.0.0~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

as usual TIA !
May the FORK be with you!

i puke slackware ! !

Ardouos

#12 Post by Ardouos »

Currently using Trinity in a VM, it's temping me to install it on my laptop. ;)
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

xinu

#13 Post by xinu »

no one ?
May the FORK be with you!

i puke slackware ! !

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

If nothing's wrong with the TDE repositories, 99% of the problems like this are due to the user creating a FrankenDebian beforehand. A properly created TDE repo should not create a FrankenDebian itself.

You can also try and track down the issue by trying a manual install of one of those packages that it says can't be installed, and seeing if the error message sheds more light on the problem. Repeat as necessary until you drill down to the root cause. As in:

Can't install A because B can't be installed.

apt install B
Can't install B because C can't be installed.

apt install C
and so on.
MX Linux packager and developer

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by Hallvor »

Trinity Desktop Environment R14.0.5 is now released.

Release notes: https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Release ... or_R14.0.5
Bigfixes: https://bugs.trinitydesktop.org/showdep ... resolved=0

Runs great on Stretch as well.

cagehooper47

#16 Post by cagehooper47 »

I've been an old KDE3.5 advocate since the split. I have NEVER liked KDE 4. From the beginning it felt like it was coded for developers and slowly lost it's polish and gained too much bloat. I remember when KDE 4 came out the developers claimed that to continue KDE3.5 into the new hardware/kernel it would require a complete rewrite. Hence KDE 4 being so different from 3.5. I have tinkered with it from time to time. And for the last 3 years Even Debian has been relegated to a minority role on my main boxes. Windows XP was ok enough but times change. Networking changes. I dealt with converting to Windows 7 two years ago because my last WinXP box died (I have a laptop that still has XP but trying to get wifi to work in the changing security atmospheres turned out to be a killer, though the wired network still works) Anyway. I've got two main boxes and a Thinkpad w700. The W700 is great because of the ease of swapping out hard drives in the interest of testing. My gaming box had a Ryzen 3 cpu that I think Debian has issues with (I could be wrong) but my main work box is an HP Z400. with an ATI gpu added. Iput debian wheezy on it when I bought it and it ran fine. I had issues with Debian Jessie and Stretch. Probably could have figured them out but absolutely HATED what had become of KDE. So that's when Windows 7 became my go to. All this time I also was tinkering with Trinity. It almost worked on Wheezy. But had major issues with Jessie. And Stretch I kept hitting issues with sound for some reason. Since Windows 7 was ok and wheezy was doable I didn't dig too far in to finding fixes. Well then came Debian Buster (10). As I said I've always been a KDE advocate (even when I hated 4) I just couldn't find myself to warm up to Gnome (eh, to each his own. Not knocking those who like it) I really liked LXDE since it came along and was a good backup. But I found the images for Debian buster with non-free and cinnamon. OH MY GOD! I WAS BACK! It has come back to bring Debian back in line with my Win7 setup. I've kept even time on both.

So last night (since I've got time on my hand due to a corona virus layoff) I spent the night mashing test installs on the W700. First with old Wheezy. Then Stretch, then Buster. I downloaded netinstall images of all 3. I hit a few issues with Wheezy trying to get my non-free iwlwifi to load. Stretch gave me sound issues though the wifi worked. And Buster, clean from the netinstall image came close. Had a few minor bugs. But then I pulled out my faithful install dvd of Buster Live with cinnamon and non-free. Of course that loaded all fine. DVD's play good. Wifi loads fine. Internet worked as it should. So for my 4th try I loaded Trinity on top of the Buster/Cinnamon install. Now of all 4 installs, Trinity never really gave me issues. They were underlying Debian issues. I could have looked them up but I wanted to get it up an running quick. But with Buster I ran into that issue with ldconfig no in path. and the auto-start daemon. I found the post on the Debian newsgroup and tried it. BINGO! Got the Trinity webkey to load and got Trinity in. Holy crap was I impressed. It was as I remembered most of that system ran. Many of my old tweeks I remembered still worked, and some were now features. Yes cinnamon is a good desktop. But if you don't need to draw the resources, why do it? I love keeping my old hardware humming until they shyte the bed. So I've decided to get things ready and tonight I'm going to do the load Trinity on top of Buster on the Z400 and move my primary work environment back to my Debian side.