Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO: Install X Window System and a Desktop Environment

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Ibidem

Re: HOWTO: Install X Window System and a Desktop Environment

#76 Post by Ibidem »

jjmac wrote:Hello all,

Firstly, sorry about the anal tone of my last post (above) :) .
It sounds kind of wierd to me on reading it back (grin).

In any case ...

dbbolton wrote:
>>
Usually I just install the driver for my video card and utils, and let apt drag in the dependencies. One of those meta-packages depends on the exceptionally ugly meta-package xserver-xorg-video-all, and I absolutely don't want that. Same thing with input: only need kbd, mouse, and evdev.
>>
Yes, 'xserver-xorg-video-all' is a right pain ... But that's X for you. Such as ...
'xserver-xorg-video-all' says that it can be removed, but 'xserver-xorg' has it listed as a dependency.

One way to get around those things is by creating a customised meta package with out all the cruft. But including things that may be useful.
xserver-xorg is a metapackage, meant to get X working (on any computer)
It depends on xserver-xorg-video-all, or a virtual package that every X driver provides.
The minimum is xinit and an X server (xserver-xorg-core or xserver-xfbdev), with xserver-xorg-core needing at least evdev and a video driver. evdev can handle mouse and keyboard, if I recall correctly; xfbdev doesn't need drivers, besides a working kernel framebuffer (which isn't always available...)
Besides that you'll need at least one client, preferably a window manager and terminal.
I have set X up like this, from a bare minimum install.
Thinkpad X100e/Debian Squeeze (All reposiories enabled)/Linux 3.4.11:
1GB RAM/1.6GHz Neo X2/ATI HD 3200/RTL8191SEVA2 wlan0, RTL8169 eth0

ubungeeek

#77 Post by ubungeeek »

Ibidem wrote:evdev can handle mouse and keyboard, if I recall correctly; xfbdev doesn't need drivers, besides a working kernel framebuffer (which isn't always available...)
You're right about the mouse and keyboard. But one thing I didn't understand - does kernel framework need drivers or not?
Read about gsm booster www.art-marron.com/wiki/wakka.php?wiki=gsmrepeaterreview
Different Types of Mobile Signals Read article

Ibidem

#78 Post by Ibidem »

ubungeeek wrote: You're right about the mouse and keyboard. But one thing I didn't understand - does kernel framework need drivers or not?
Not sure I follow the question.
Do you mean to ask whether you need kernel drivers as well as the X drivers, or X drivers as well as the kernel drivers?

If so, yes. But the kernel drivers are built into the stock kernel.
The kernel must have drivers for most peripherals you plan to use (excepting those with libusb, FUSE, or CUSE drivers, or raw access like a graphics card used by a VM--which isn't the standard configuration). In the case of proprietary drivers, these are provided by the *-dkms, *-kernel-(*-)source, or *-source packages (fglrx-dkms, fglrx-source, nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-source...)

X needs its own drivers to use the devices. These drivers won't work properly unless the kernel drivers are loaded and working (except, the fglrx X driver can do 2d graphics without the kernel module).

If you want to use Mesa, you also need a mesa (gl) driver. These are included in the Mesa packaging. Proprietary drivers require their own glx library, using the kernel and X drivers that are bundled with them.

Does that confuse things more for you? :roll:
Thinkpad X100e/Debian Squeeze (All reposiories enabled)/Linux 3.4.11:
1GB RAM/1.6GHz Neo X2/ATI HD 3200/RTL8191SEVA2 wlan0, RTL8169 eth0

suttiwit

#79 Post by suttiwit »

Here is my setup:
I installed Debian Wheezy 7 from the first DVD without selecting "Desktop environment" at tasksel because I wanted to install MATE as my desktop environment.
So, here is what I did once I logged in (as root):
1. Add 'wheezy backports' to /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main
2. Run

apt-get update
3. Install xorg

apt-get install xorg
4. Install MATE

apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras
5. Log out of root and get back to normal user
6. Let X start automatically after login without typing 'startx' on every login

echo "startx" >> ~/.profile
That's it! Once X is started, it looks like the good old GNOME 2 :)

BhooshanAJ

#80 Post by BhooshanAJ »

Can this guide be still conisdered goood for installing a minimal GNOME desktop? Here's what I was thinknig..

Install the necessary Debian Package without choosing any DE at tasksel. Start it up bare bones. Set the sources.list to testing

apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
apt install xorg
apt install gnome-core
apt install gdm3 (redundant?)
Will this get me on a fairly bare bones GNOME desktop that I can later customize as I wish?
Do I need to explicitly nvidia drivers?
Will this possibly run me into those "Oh no! Something went wrong!" errors?

Also have OpenBox in mind if this can't be done. But I will not do a full GNOME install from Live CD or anything. It has too many things I never use.

GarryRicketson

#81 Post by GarryRicketson »

by BhooshanAJ »Will this possibly run me into those "Oh no! Something went wrong!" errors?
That is funny, :D When Gnome is involved, those error messages are all ways a possibility.
Me, NO Gnome, and I never get those kind of messages.
I use Open Box, with some XFCE utilities.

stevepusser

#82 Post by stevepusser »

Don't use Debian testing if you can't find the answer yourself in these forums. It's only been asked and answered a million times.
MX Linux packager and developer

BhooshanAJ

#83 Post by BhooshanAJ »

GarryRicketson wrote: That is funny, :D When Gnome is involved, those error messages are all ways a possibility.
Me, NO Gnome, and I never get those kind of messages.
I use Open Box, with some XFCE utilities.
True. But does installing just bare bones GNOME makes it more prone to these errors?
stevepusser wrote:Don't use Debian testing if you can't find the answer yourself in these forums. It's only been asked and answered a million times.
I did ..I found this topic after I did a search. A noob would've made a new Topic. No?
And...Let's just say I am taking leap into learning. I come from Arch and this is the way I install Linux. While Stable is well..Stable it feels too outdated. And I hear (I am not sure) that Testing is like having a Rolling release.

debiman

#84 Post by debiman »

there's no such thing as "minimal GNOME". that's a contradiction.
unless you believe in chickenshit minimalism...
:mrgreen: